“Clean and good value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Posada San Francisco Old San Juan
New York City, New York
“Clean and good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Great affordable spot in OSJ. I had a last minute 3 day weekend and decided I wanted to go somewhere warm, and the cheapest flight I could find was to San Juan! So, I booked the room 2 nights before my arrival online through Hostel World. After you book, they email a password for their site that contains all specific information. I arrived at around 2am, called the number I was given and a very polite girl let me in and got me to my room. I stayed on the 5th floor with two twin beds. It's a very basic room with a beds, a metal chair, a mini fridge, a/c unit and a closet with some hangers - really, what more do you need? The sheets were fresh and clean and the room was spotless. There were 2.5 baths for the hall and those were clean at all times. The kitchen was open and airy, with a balcony overlooking Plaza de Colon. As other reviewers said, the elevator is sketchy, so I stuck to the stairs.
The location is perfect, so grab a beer in a go cup from the place downstairs and explore. Everything is walkable - I walked so much when I was here, and always felt very safe (solo 20-something female traveler) on the streets, as well as in the hostel. I would stay again!

2 Thank Bivsky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Frankfort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here a couple of days before our cruise. It was GREAT! Perfect location. We walked everywhere. Every floor has a GREAT balcony. Very clean. The only negative thing we have to say is that the elevator is very old and slow, not much room in it either, but everything else was perfect. We had never stayed in a hostel before but we will try it again after staying here.

Room Tip: The double rooms were great!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great value for budget traveler who doesn't expect a lot of frills! Shuttle to the airport was cheap and convenient. Staff knowledgeable and friendly. Location was great, walk to everything. Once registered, card is easy to use to get into building. Yes, the elevator is old but it works!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I really am wondering if I am reviewing the same place based on the last couple of reviews. Central Posada San Francisco is. Clean it is (fairly). This is where the merits end. First impressions count.The buzzer does not work so basically you have to phone them when you are below which on a foreign phone costs a bomb. Someone came down to let me in after about ten minutes in a quite unhurried manner and informed me I had to pay him an additional $5 to check in after 9pm (so an expensive phone call, a long wait and a $5 surcharge just for the privilege of being allowed to my room). I was shown to a cell-like room with no windows and separate toilets which simply did not flush. The hostel is spread out over several floors and the key card swipes are highly dodgy and stop working often, meaning you have to check back with reception (two floors up). Then there was a mix up over my booking which I can forgive (mistakes happen) although it was frustrating as the person on reception the first night confirmed my booking for two nights. I am a travel writer and almost thought about playing the "do you know who I am?" card but then thought no, I'll leave a review as per the normal way and would welcome their response. I can categorically say though that besides almost every other hostel in San Juan this one comes off worst and I will go out of my way to warn people both on social media and in future publications I write never ever to stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lukeonhistravels
Sanfranciscodeasis, Owner at Posada San Francisco Old San Juan, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank You for your review; Its always good to receive a bad review to lower peoples expectations. You paid $40 for a room for two guest. That deal cannot be beat ( you stayed in the least priced place in Puerto Rico. But we are happy that at least you agree that our place is clean. That is the most important thing for a budget traveler. In your confirmation and everyone else its describes that the intercom does not work and we give you the phone number to call. We also suggest that if you have a long distance phone to ask the taxi driver to help you. They do it happily. In the confirmation its also stated that if you arrive after 9pm you will indeed be charged $5. We dont have a 24 hour reception employee and this is how we can afford our low prices. We are located on the 6th floor so from the moment you call it takes us a bit to call elevator and reach ground floor. You arrived very late and late on the arrival time you had placed so please be patient. Most hostels in Puerto Rico do not even receive late night arrivals.

If you are a true writer; I think your judgement is a bit harsh to say we are the worst hostel in Puerto Rico when we have numerous of reviews stating the opposite. Sorry for any inconvenience those two issues you had at our hostel. But you did choose to stay in the cheapest place in PR so you cannot expect 5 star service and amenities.
Gainesville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

You cannot beat this location in Old San Juan. With the size of this part of town, you can easily walk around the whole area and the Posada San Francisco is perfectly located. Near restaurants, shops, and historic sites. And with the location, comes a very reasonable price. This is a combo you can't beat. I paid $30 for a single room. It was very small, clearly it was once a bathroom, but if I'm only paying $30 for a quick one night stay before heading out into the country, who cares. Even if they were small, the rooms were very clean, A/C worked, plenty of shared bathrooms, there are dorms too, so again, with the location and price, you cannot beat this place.

Novato, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The posada, is very well located in Old San Juan. It is a beautiful old building and in pretty good shape for its age. The painted murals on the ceiling of the entrance are a delight all on their own. Balconies in public rooms have a great view. It is also a hostel so lots of young people.
It was clean and bright. One thing you should know is that you need a cell phone to call for someone to let you in. It is a little hard to find as the addresses aren't very obvious. Don't bother trying to ring the bell. Reception is on 6th floor and rooms on 4, 5 and 6. Two kitchens, very clean and lots of lounges and places to sit. Plenty of clean bathrooms too.
A HINT: YOU CAN BOOK THIS ON A HOSTEL SIGHT SUCH AS HOSTELBOOKERS.COM FOR LESS THAN THE COST OF BOOKING IT ON AIRBNB.COM, 44 AS COMPARED TO 64! AND IT IS THE SAME ROOM.
Elevator is kind of funky. Very temperamental, so use with care.
The free shuttle to all major sights is just outside of the Posada's door. Also lots of good restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Watch out for the elevator. It is very temperamental. You will need a cell phone to call to be le...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RogerWi
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I would like to start by saying that my overall experience was positive and I would stay here again.

We got off our cruise ship very early and arrived at the hotel around 8am, one of the ladies working there was just arriving and let us in to the bag storage. We returned at check in, the non-room facilities are very nice and definitely where they spent a lot of their budget. Our room was very clean, but sparse, my main problem was that the "blanket" provided was undersized and very very thin, combined with a strong a/c unit made for an overly chilly stay. They have a very nice mini fridge in the room, so why not a decent sized blanket?

All that being said, the staff were great, the location was outstanding, drop dead gorgeous views of the city, super clean place, all at an affordable price.

• Stayed November 2013