“Construction zone with no apologies from the owners”

Posada San Francisco Old San Juan
Asheville, North Carolina
“Construction zone with no apologies from the owners”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed in this posada Nov 11, 2011. We were supposed to stay for 2 nights, but left after one night. It was a complete construction zone and I have no idea why they were renting out rooms (I have included pictures of the construction below). It was just bad business. When we arrived they told us our rooms were not ready, and we needed to come back after 3pm. We thought that they meant they needed to be cleaned, but in fact they were painting our room that day! The room smelled awful, and as another reviewer described there was construction dust everywhere. We couldn't put our things on the floor without them getting covered in the dust. I had a black backpack I was traveling with that had a white film on it when I left. When we asked if they had any other rooms, they said no, but they would give us a refund to go somewhere else...unfortunately they told us this on a Friday evening, so there was no where for us to go. The next day, we decided to either ask for a deep discount because we didn't want to waste our vacation time looking for a place to stay or we were going to go somewhere else. We couldn't believe they were charging full price for these rooms although the owner claimed she gave us a $10 discount, she had ignored the fact that we had already paid for part of our rooms on a hostel website, so the $10 discount wasn't really much of a discount. Long story short, after we explained our concerns, the owner accused us of trying to take advantage of her and that we wanted our rooms for free. She told us we could go somewhere else, gave us the refund so we did. Bottom line, the owner should have called the guests staying on the construction zone floor and let them know far in advance so other plans could have been made. Instead they tell you when you get there, so you're left high and dry and they still got their money. The location of this place is great, but if they are renting rooms out like that, I can only imagine what their standard of a clean room is in normal circumstances, and would not recommend staying here. As a side note, we ended up staying at Da House, which was only about $20-40 more depending on the room and it was amazing! The staff are super helpful and friendly, the rooms are nice and clean, and there is a rooftop hot tub. This place made up for the disaster that was Posada San Francisco. If you're looking for budget options in San Juan, there really aren't any that are remotely decent (I say this almost always traveling with budget accomodations) so it's better to spend a little bit more and go with the next cheapest option: Da House.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 6th floor if you choose to stay here!
2 Thank Starmck1
Sanfranciscodeasis, Owner at Posada San Francisco Old San Juan, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Thank You for your detailed review.....I am very sorry for this Day and your trip ...We apologize .

We were very confident we would be finished that day of your arrival and again like with all other arrivals that day ; we offered $15 nightly discount ( MEANING 30% OFF)on our prices that are already really low;

Its was Honestly not on purpose.. the main issue was smell and dust ( although I promise it was mopped multiple times) please excuse us; There is just some things you cannot as human and small family business control.

We were working for 3 consecutive days...no sleep; Literally .
To try our absolute most to have it ready and we did....might have not been perfect but you had your room as promised with chandelier ; fridge and satellite TV ; AC and NEW matress new Pillows and New bedding and hence was the Discount...

Check-in is at 3pm all of our website state that. We were not painting on the day of your arrival ... We were in fact finishing cleaning;...but yes the odor : was strong for a couple of weeks....as freshly painted rooms any where.

When you came to us about you being unhappy about the room you said you did not want to leave but that you wanted the room for "deep discount" what is that from $45?. FREE.

We said that we were happy to give you the refund since you already stated you were not happy with the room... so I could not understand; why you were arguing so much to want to stay; If it was so easy to just go to another alternative and have much better stay with complete refund and no charge??? but you kept telling us the room was not worth $45 that you needed deeper
refund.

We did not anticipate this situation and were not trying to stay with your money; nor we did. We gave you the refund.

If you are not happy ; with our accommodations ; the refund should be the alternative .

As for the picture you posted...that was at the end of the hall way were the Janitors closet is.

We suggested Da house to you .....called and made all he arrangements and reservation for you because we understood you didnt want to waste vacation time in this; but clearly you have never been in Hostel and we thought that probably a hotel $90 a room + tax would be more suitable for you.

In reference to the ladder for AC ..we do have 3 rooms like this because of the placement of the AC...Again we are budget lodging ( Pension Style) ..with colonial / Caribbean Quirks....

We hope you can accept out apologies...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
brooklyn, NY
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We turned in our rental car and they gave us a free shuttle ride to lovely Plaza Colon, right in front of Posada San Francisco (coming from the airport, the 75 cent bus ride - and they do allow luggage on the bus - leaves you a couple blocks away). It was 11 AM, and the extremely friendly owner met us and had us in our room within 15 minutes. The buiding was built in 1938 and La Posada takes up floors 4-6. The lobby of the building has beautiful murals and is clean and well-maintained. We were on the 6th floor with private rooms and 3 bathrooms to share (never a problem with getting a bathroom, and always plenty of hot water). Be gentle with the elevator, but it does work fine. The common areas on the front of the building have incomparable views of Plaza Colon, the cruise docks, Fort San Cristobal, sunrises, sunsets...you get the idea. A nicely equipped kitchen on the 5th floor allows you to cook your own meals. In this price range you might expect things to be dingy, but this place beat out many more expensive hotels on the island. LCD TV, refrigerator in the room, lovely crocheted pillow cases and sheets, free wifi in common areas, and immaculately clean. The owners obviously take a lot of pride in providing a first-class place at a reasonable price. The location is incredible - a few blocks from buses if you want to travel around the city, walking distance (20 minutes) to the beautiful Escambron beach with great snorkeling, and right in the midst of Old San Juan. We were fortunate enough to hit the festivities of the tree lighting in San Juan and the culinary festival, but there's always plenty going on here. You're not going to get a luxury room, but we loved the place...with two caveats:
There's only one set of keys per room, and you need keys to move around the place (which wisely has doors to the various sections locked). So unless you're together with the person you're traveling with all the time, it can be really frustrating arranging things to get around.
The other issue is the air conditioner. Most of the rooms have very small, very high (cell-like) windows that don't open. You can't see out, but I thought of it kind of like being in an inside cabin on a cruise ship. The beautiful common areas are right down the hall. But the air conditioner was very noisy and hard to adjust. We finally realized there was a high window on the open-air hallway we could open, as well as some shutter-like windows on the hallway. We got plenty of fresh air through them and were able to sleep without the AC. If you like it nice and cold, and don't mind the noise, you'll be happy with the AC.
Aside from those little annoyances, this place is amazing!

Room Tip: There are a couple small rooms available with regular windows that open onto the inside air shaft.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Posado San Francisco is centrally located across from Plaza Colon and within walking distance of just about everything in Old San Juan. Views from balcony are beautiful. Safe to walk about at night and lots of friendly locals to help if you should get lost.

I was there for 6 days during Thanksgiving. Was surprised owner prepared a fabulous complimentary Thanksgiving meal for all the guests, which included turkey, side dishes and even dessert!

Rooms wer every clean, guests were polite...so much positive to say, have NO complaints.

Also, a great little bar directly below that has a deli in the back. They serve homemade traditional deli food for cheap, get there early though, lunch sells out quick. Say hi to bartender, Ozzie too!

This is my third hostel and I highly recommend the Posado San Francisco!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jadelotus11
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Admist all these positive reviews for Posada San Francisco, I find it really hard to write my review, as we are in the minority that didn't enjoy our stay as much as we had hope.

My husband and I booked a two night stay before our Southern Caribbean cruise. We chose it for the proximity to everything in Old San Juan and we thought it would be a unique experience to stay somewhere local instead of a big hotel chain.

Upon arrival at the airport, we grabbed a cab to Old San Juan. Cost was $19 plus $1/luggage. Our cab driver had a bit of difficulty locating Posada San Francisco as the entrance is somewhat hidden. We passed it on our first try but was able to find it after a second time around the block. Ask to be dropped at the Plaza Colon and the hostel is right there.

Our room wasn't quite ready when we arrived at 4pm so we had to wait about 25 min. while the room was being cleaned and prepped. Not a huge deal but we did have a long travel day to San Juan without a meal so we were eager to get out and eat. We were assigned a private room on the 6th floor which I had read to be the renovated updated rooms.

And it's true, the 6th floor is renovated but not quite finished yet. Our room must have been newly painted because the paint fumes we very strong. The window in our room did not open so there was no way to air it out. By 1am on the first night of our stay, I think the paint fumes were making us delirious and we found it difficult to breath.

The room was simple - a double bed, a small flat screen TV with satellite cable, a personal bar fridge and a window unit air conditioner. It lacked shelves or hooks to put our belongings. On the second night, a small side table was added close to our bed. The floor in our room had a covering of construction dust so we could not walk around in bare feet.

The bed was comfortable and the linens were thin but we didn't need thick covers in a warm city like San Juan. We were provided with one bath towel each, no face cloths or hand towels.

We found the noise level in our room to be pretty loud. Just for context, we live in a busy urban area on a main street and we're not accustomed to quiet suburban living. We did find the AC unit in the room to be quite loud. There is a bar/restaurant below the Posada so the dance music can be heard on weekends. Flip side is that the AC is so loud, it can drown out the dance music.

Our room never got very dark. There was light coming in through the window, also through the window above the door.

Loud AC, half dark, heavy paint scented room on top of inconsiderate guests who slammed doors all night and came home loud and rowdy after the bar made for 2 very sleepless nights. I'm just thankful my husband didn't threaten divorce because it was my idea to book here.

There were 2 shared bathrooms on the 6th floor that was available for our use. Both were dirty with construction dust and again, no hooks or shelves to place our stuff. Shower pressure was quite weak but I happy to report that there was hot water.

The service at Posada San Francisco is fantastic. The hosts are both very friendly and helpful. The common spaces on the 5th and 6th floor - kitchen/seating areas and balconys are very nice. The balconies offered a nice view of our ship in port and fort right next door. We loved being able to walk to shopping, restaurants and tourist sites.

We were warned about the construction and offered a small discount at check in on account that the 6th floor was still a work in progress but had we known about the conditions of our room, we probably would have chosen other accommodations. The Posada prefers cash payment as there is a 2% charge for credit card use.

We probably wouldn't stay at Posada San Francisco again based on this experience. I know we could have gotten a 3-star hotel via Priceline for slightly more and our lack of sleep did not make up for the savings here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerGal
Sanfranciscodeasis, Owner at Posada San Francisco Old San Juan, responded to this review, November 30, 2011

Yes You are right you were our first guest ; in the brand new renovated Floor. We had the option of either telling you we didnt have the room complete and That you should find another alternative; or to give you a discount to our already cheap rooms $45 -$50.... because some details were missing ( like the night table) and yes the paint was done about 3-4 days before your arrival . Sorry things just got complicated on us...

We definitely are not luxury accommodation hence the price. with a standard Home Depot window A.C. Which can be noisy for those who are used to Central A.C.

But You are in a different country and here Central A.C is not the Norm.....even less in Colonial buildings!

If You are Used to booking through priceline rooms are no comparison those are 4-5 star hotels. I doubt you can get them for less; than the double of our price though!... We are a hostel-guesthouse. And you should compare us as one...

We have fridge in the room and a flat screen TV in the room that you stayed in...That is not usual for a hostel.

But its already been three weeks since our opening so all is in order now ; Hopefully people will be able to Enjoy our new 6th floor.

But to other potential guest that may be reading this..... If your true desire is to stay in Hotel; please do we are not one; so you will be disappointed; If you rather be in a relaxed atmosphere with your kitchen facilities in a great Location; and maybe socialize with guest from other countries. And be content with simplicity and our view from the balconies Then stay with us and let our place become your Home.

Welcome
tenerife
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Hopefully you will experience what i did at this great hostel. Firstly, very well received, fantastic location in old San Juan, very close to almost everything and full of these charming angels which did my day. The rooms are regular, nice bunk beds, bathrooms are ok but what I am very grateful of is that it gave me this great opportunity to meet all these nice people coming from all the corners of the world.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Walking distance to the piers and great location in Old San Juan.

Lancaster PA
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I found myself needing to spend one night in San Juan as a solo traveler to catch an early morning flight the next day. I saw the great reviews on this property and, at 25.00/night decided to give it a try and was very pleasantly surprised.

The building is beautifully historic and right in the heart of old San Juan, right across from plaza colon and next to the fort San cristobel. As others have mentioned, the view from the balcony is amazing. The communal kitchen is great, you could keep your stuff separate, or put it on the counter for anyone to use. Upon checking in I was shown to a dorm room and given a plastic tote with sheets and a towel. I shared it with another lady and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. My only negative was the bathroom I was using was A little less than clean, but I found out that it was kind of the guys domain and once I switched to the other one, no problem (sorry guys!)

One thing that I really enjoyed was the friendliness of my fellow travelers. Conversation was easy and fun and a couple of us even went to dinner together. That, the price and the location add up to an experience I will try again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo