“great food. horrible service”
Review of Casita Miramar

Casita Miramar
Ranked #10 of 1,047 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was so excited to come here. Unfortunately, we were so beyond disappointed. We were seated quickly on the porch (which was lovely- and had all the makings of a great evening). However, no one came to speak to us for maybe 15-20 minutes. We just sat there, without water, without drinks, without knowing the menu for a long time). Then someone brought us soup... which was good, but still, no drinks, no waiter, no water. We finally put our drink order and food order in with someone that was just walking by, I am not sure they were even assigned to our table, and they were out of 3-4 menu items (I think you need to come earlier than we did to get the full menu) We got sangria, which was very good. However, we almost just got up and left because our drinks took another 15 minutes. Our fried cheese appetizer finally came-which was really delicious, but still, no drinks, or water. The food overall was really delicious, however, no one really spoke to us the whole time- it felt a little awkward as the tables next to us seemed to be getting fairly prompt service. I also found out that we should have gotten fried plantains with the soup, and we never received that.
I must say, the food was very good, and could have really been something special if we didn't feel like we were ignored all night. I am only giving 2 stars, because we were THAT ignored, even though the food was good. We ended up paying cash, mostly because we knew it was unlikely anyone would come around for a while:( Such a shame because the food is really great. I feel like we caught them on a bad night, because other reviews rave about the service.

There are newer reviews for Casita Miramar

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Located in an old house (but not THAT old---1940-ish), this Miramar restaurant didn't disappoint. (Well, they were out of the ribs, and snapper in garlic, our two main choices, but even our secondary choices were wonderful.) Super friendly service, a variety of free appetizers (including during our short late Sunday night wait) and a free after dinner drink only added to the experience. Our food (crab in casava and beef medallions) was superb. The sangria was the best ever. The desserts sounded wonderful, but we were too full. If we're ever lucky enough to go back, we may have dessert first!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was in San Juan last week for work and followed the TA reviews to this great restaurant. the waitstaff is exactly as reviewed, friendly, informative and accomodating. We ate outside on the porch and found it very relaxing. The english menu was brought to us and propped up at our table. I ordered the Whole Red Snapper and my colleague ordered the Paella.

Here's where it get's weird:

A few minutes later the waiter came back to inform me that there was only one Red Snapper left and that it weighed a pound and a half. He went on to explain that normally the fish is only 1 pound as served so the price would be going up based on the additional weight. He also informed me that the price was $19.99 per pound (the price listed on the menu). So, after some quick public math I figured that the new price was roughly $30! As good as the reviews were, I was not prepared to pay this and kind of miffed that they ramped the price up. So I ordered my second choice, the Ribs and they were fine.

Has anyone heard of a restaurant doing this? Wouldn't the proper thing to do be sell the last piece of fish as it's marked on the menu despite the size difference? Or, change the price on the menu when you're down to the last piece of fish and it's much larger?!

I really wish I could have given this restaurant a higher rating however I left with an odd taste in my mouth.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Best dinner we had in San Juan area. The restaurant was intimate and had a great vibe. The service was great, beyond what would be expected. Christina, our waitress, explained the menu and gave great recommendations on food and wine pairings. The house cocktails were delicious! They started with complimentary green plantain soup and cod fish fritters - both were amazing. The house hot sauce really gave the fritters a kick! (we ended up buying a couple bottles)

We ordered the BBQ & Rum Pork Ribs with rice and beans and the Snook Fish w/ smokey vegetable sauce and sweet plantains. The ribs were falling off of the bone and the sauce was the best! Added some hot sauce into the rice and beans and it was even better. The fish was cooked really well and the sauce went very well with the fried sweet plantains. They accidentally brought out fried plantain chips, but quickly brought out the sweet plantains before we even noticed.

Tres Leches was the best desert ever! Nice complimentary shot at the end of dinner with sambuca, rum, and coffee beans was also great.

San Juan (the busboy, not the city) was the best busser I've ever seen. He was constantly keeping an eye on every table in the restaurant. Our waters never reached half-empty! The entire waitstaff constantly made sure our plates were cleared, when needed. They even changed the napkins under our drinks when they got wet from the condensation.

Overall amazing experience! Will definitely be back if we are ever in the area again.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My beautiful wife and I and another couple had supper here on suggestion from the Marriott Miramar front desk. The restaurant is upstairs and has a garden-like ambiance. The staff was very friendly, extremely efficient, and fun. We began our meal with complimentary cod fish fritters, plantain soup, and breadfruit puffs. All three were wonderful. We were also treated with samples of their house drink specialties. Also delightful. We ordered two appetizers for the table and were full before we could order a main course. Observing nearby tables and overhearing table conversations confirmed similar experiences and pleasure. This place was one of the highlights of our trip to PR.

1  Thank Mikey143