“Disappointing dump. Smelly, dark, cramped. Must be better places.”

Hotel & Hostel San Jorge
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I like staying in good budget hotels (as evidenced by my reviews) and am usually tolerant and willing to trade some comforts for a good value. However, I cannot recommend the San Jorge, especially when their rate of over $70/night really does not qualify it as a budget option. The best that I can say is that the hotel seems relatively safe, and the location is central if you have business in San Juan.

First, there is no off-street parking. It seems the street outside the hotel is full of no parking signs that people seem to disregard. I stayed over a weekend and did not get ticketed/towed, but do not know what weekdays would be like. When I checked in, I was charged the full cost of my stay up front, which I find only dodgy places tend to do. The tiny elevator was banged up and in need of fresh paint. The hallways were very narrow, and the room doors were flimsy, more like bathroom doors or interior doors. I was assigned a room on the 4th floor that did not have windows, apart from a few slats in the bathroom. (From what I could see of other rooms that had their doors open, they did not have windows either.) When I unlocked the door, I was greeted by an almost overwhelming smell (chemicals probably). No complaints about the bed and they did have flat screen TV (more on that later). In my room, there was a split unit air conditioner instead of a window unit, so that was appreciated. The walls had peeling paint exposing the primer, and assorted holes in the wall. The wifi worked occasionally on the 4th floor, but one had to go down to the open area on the 2nd floor to get a reliable signal. One evening, I saw some good-sized cockroaches as I entered my room.

When I checked in, there was some confusion on the front desk clerk's part about where the remote control for the TV in my room was. They gave me a remote that was marked for a different room and that did not work fully with the TV in my room. When I checked out, I returned the remote to the front desk. That did not prevent them from calling me several days later and asking me what I had done with the remote.

There must be better options for San Juan.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Trotamundos09
HotelSanJorgePR, Owner at Hotel & Hostel San Jorge, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

We're sorry that this guest had an unpleasant stay at our hotel. At Hotel San Jorge, we're always eager to get feedback from guests and try to take immediate action when issues are brought to our attention.

1. We wish that this guest had contacted the 24 hour front desk with his concerns - we would have been happy to move him to another room - or if the hotel was completely unacceptable, we could have helped him find alternative accommodations and refunded without penalty.

2. We do not claim to have off-street parking. The hotel only has public on-street parking which can be limited at times. This area of San Juan has great bus service, but very limited parking options. We are working with the city to try and increase parking in the area - but any guests should be aware that parking is only on the street as this guest correctly points out.

3. Our everyday budget rates are among the lowest in San Juan - especially during peak demand like January's San Sebastian Festival which was during the timeframe of this guest. We are a two-star hotel with favorable rates compared to other hotels in San Juan.

4. As noted, location is a major positive factor and our location in the Arts & Culture District with the best bus service in San Juan is important to most guests who do not have a car. Cheaper hotels may require expensive taxis or have very limited bus service to tourist areas. Since he had a car, he may have found a better rate in a less accessible location.

5. It is very common for small hotels throughout the Caribbean to charge up front on arrival. It has always been our policy.

6. Our elevator is small and old but it works and gets you safely to your floor. We have plans to re-paint the elevator, but it is difficult to do during high season without causing inconvenience to guests with the epoxy paint fumes. However, it is on our list as soon as we have low occupancy.

7. We only have two rooms without windows in the sleeping area - and this guest did have one of these rooms. There is a glass-block area of the wall to let light through. This was part of the original building's design and some guests actually prefer these rooms since they are quiet and away from the morning sunlight. Regular guests routinely request this room, but this is a personal preference. We wish that the guest had talked to the front desk and not assumed that all rooms were like this - we could have easily moved him to another room with a window in the sleeping area.

8. The smell is a mystery. We've had plumbers several times and the smell seems to come and go (of course its never there when the plumber arrives to check). Again, we wish that the guest had brought it to our attention so we could have moved him to another room and gotten the plumber in asap while the situation persisted. As a result of his comment, we will have the plumbing system completely rebuilt in this line of rooms.

9. The paint and mark in the wall, was a result of putting in the new split-unit airco shortly before the guest arrived. It has now been taken care of.

10. Wifi has been an increasing concern as the hotel becomes more popular and guests who use more and more internet applications and online media options. As a result of this and other guest comments we have just signed a new contract for a new 'state-of-the-art' high-speed, high bandwidth system that will work throughout the hotel with 24/7 support and service. We hope that the system will be installed by March 1, 2013.

While we are sad that this guest had an unpleasant stay at the hotel, we are always eager to hear any concerns or complaints so that we can satisfy our guests. We are happy that these concerns were brought to our attention, but could have resolved many of them by moving them to a new room while we worked to correct the issues with this specific room.

We are always trying to improve the hotel appreciate the feedback. However, we encourage anyone who has concerns, problems or suggestions to contact our 24 hour front desk or ask for the manager during business hours (my office is just behind the front desk) so we can correct the situation while you are still at the hotel. Hotel San Jorge, General Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We arrived late and left early the next morning, but this hotel was exactly what we were looking for--helpful staff, small but clean and comfortable room (my boyfriend is obsessively concerned about bed bugs when we travel, and he spent about 15 minutes inspecting the bed/mattress/sheets--all were spotless), decent location. Our cab driver was wary of the neighborhood (at 2:30 am), but during normal hours the area is fine to walk around. We had plenty of hot water during our stay--the hot/cold faucet knobs were reversed, though, so others may have been confused.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The location is a ten minute bus ride to Old San Juan and the Plaza de Americas. The rooms were small but clean and the hotel staff was very nice and accommodating. We just needed a clean place to crash while we spent our days exploring San Juan, so this was perfect for us.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper request a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BrandonJ_13
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great hotel in San juan.location is convenient,the staff is verry nice.We would come back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Dianne M
Reviewed April 26, 2012

No hot water in the sinks. A/C will make you sick. Location not safe. They spent more on their WEB Site than on the rooms. The hotel should be torn down. Would be better off to stay in a homeless shelter.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank roger b
hotelsanjorge, Manager at Hotel & Hostel San Jorge, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

This review was clearly written on behalf of a competing hotel here in San Juan as evident by his general statements and lack of any knowledge of Hotel San Jorge. At Hotel San Jorge, we have never had a complaint about lack of hot water - in fact this is one thing that guests often complement us about. If the guest had stayed here, they would know that every room has an individual air conditioner and if there ever a problem with air conditioning we can move the guest to another room. Even if we have to replace an air conditioner, it can be done in less than an hour. We just completed an extensive renovation of the hotel in December 2011 and all the rooms have new beds, furniture, flat-panel TVs and upgraded linens. I am at the hotel every day and the front desk is staffed 24/7 and we are always available for any concerns our guests bring to our attention.

Management of Hotel San Jorge

Reviewed March 18, 2012

A cheap hotel near the heart of San Juan. This is not a 5 star hotel, but a decent cheap hotel.
The staff was nice, the rooms where clean and they have free wi-fi. I would recommend for a short stay for a budget minded traveller.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gcwilliams80
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Great hotel for this money in San Juan. Staff isreally helpful, room is clean and ok.
Location is convenient, 1 minute from the bus stop to Old San Juan. We would come back again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple