“Best mofongos in Puerto Rico”
Review of Cafe Puerto Rico

Cafe Puerto Rico
Ranked #40 of 1,045 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We loved the crab mofongos with yucca, and the shrimp yucca mofongos. They were simply out of this world!! The. mojitos were delicious too.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Puerto Rico

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went here on a friend's recommendation and we were so glad we did. A quaint place and some great food is an amazing combination. The yuca mufongo is a must have. Although it is not the traditional mufongo that is made out of plantains, this one with cassava is an absolute relish. If you love sea food do try the Roman style kalamari. The staff is attentive, friendly and warm. We loved the place and decided to go there another time while we were in San Juan, but when we reached the place at 9 pm on a Sunday, they told us that they were closed. I am not sure if they close early on a Sunday, but its better to get there early if you are planning to go for dinner.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Really enjoyed having dinner at Puerto Rico Cafe. This is a neat little restaurant overlooking the Plaza Colon in the old city. If you don’t mind the hot and humid Puerto Rican nights you may choose to use the outdoor seating at this establishment.
Cafe Puerto Rico offers a nice variety of of local dishes. Service is very friendly as anywhere in Puerto Rico, which certainly makes the experience more memorable.
I tried the mofongo - they have three kinds - which was pleasing to my palate. If you have never had mofongo I would say it reminds of mashed potatoes but it has a denser texture and is richer in taste. Incidentally it is also nourishing. I found their octopus ceviche and the Roman style calamari particularly delicious.
As an entree I tried the seafood paella, which was totally off the hook. My significant other had the hallibut with a side of mofongo (plantain) and rice and beans. All this came together nicely with a crisp and refreshing bottle of Albarino.
I don’t hesitate to recommend this place. Had a great time there. Gracia.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you're arriving after six in the evening, be prepared to wait. The food is well seasoned and well-prepared. The service is not the best, but if you're in Old San Juan, stop by. Your taste buds won't be disappointed.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Visiting PR for a week, we stopped here for a bite our last night visitng Old San Juan. Upon entering, the space is very warm and inviting, and we were led to a nice second floor table overlooking the square. The host and wait staff were very helpful and suggested a few favorites on the menu. We started with a few drinks, which were tasty, including a mojito, a daiquiri, and pina colada.

We enjoyed the starter sampler, featuring some cheeses and other appetizers. Main dishes were delicious- my wife especially enjoyed the yellow rice with shrimp, and my daughter the chicken mofongo. All in all, we really enjoyed this restaurant.