“We had a wonderful lunch”
Review of Cafe Puerto Rico

Cafe Puerto Rico
Ranked #40 of 1,046 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family of 4 were going to tour Old San Juan, and our hotel concierge recommended going to this restaurant. We went there for lunch and had a great experience. The staff was very friendly and attentive, and the decor of the restaurant was local, artsy, but in a very comfortable setting (and we were glad we were eating inside (A/C) rather than the outside patio). I had the sweet plaintain mofongo with shrimp and my wife had the grouper in garlic sauce and they were both delicious. My son had the calamari appetizer and my daughter ordered the chicken chunks and they also were very tasty. The atmosphere was very laid back and there was a mix of locals and tourists enjoying excellent Puerto Rican cuisine. This was a "thumbs up" place to eat.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Puerto Rico

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Phenomenal stuffed mofongo..we had the sweet plantain stuffed with pork and onions. Never had such great tasting mofongo ever. The location of the restaurant was great it was right next to the square where the local artists and cigar rollers hang out. It is a very small place so go and make reservations about an hour before you are really hungry

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Came here on a Tuesday night and had to wait 25 minutes for a table. The service was great. My BF and I ordered conche and shrimp in creamy garlic sauce for appetizers. Both appetizers actually came with some sides as well. Both were good but not as delicious as the chicken mofongo we ordered as a main entree. The seasoning on the chicken was so good. We also had mojitos which were sweet. Definitely stop by this restaurant!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were so lucky to get here early on a Friday night, and got to sit outside. We came in early March to stay in Old San Juan the night before our cruise left. Our hotel manager advised us to eat here if we wanted authentic Puerto Rican food - good advise. Ice cold Medalia beer with our meals. The waiter was very good to help guide us through the menu. Excellent food!

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Very good authentic Puerto Rican restaurant. The mofongo was very good but not the best I've had. The ceviche was average but still tasty. The staff were helpful and the decor was great. The crab stew was good but on the sweet side. I would go back, the ultimate testimony.