“We were drawn in three times to this charming Old San Juan bistro”
Review of Cafe Puerto Rico

Cafe Puerto Rico
Ranked #38 of 1,034 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
chesapeake
“We were drawn in three times to this charming Old San Juan bistro”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We entered Old San Juan armed with several recommendations for lunch. We blend all data: locals' favorites, Fodor's and Frommer's and, of course, TripAdvisor. After that, we do walk-bys and stop-ins to guage vibe, feel and sensation. This process heightens the enjoyment of our meal. Writing this review is the best dessert.

Cafe Puerto Rico beckoned us. From across sun washed Plaza Colon, we were pulled by the nice looks, pleasant buzz and smiling locals lunching at the outdoor tables. The service is uncannily responsive, yet not hovering.

The mofongos are the star of the menu. Start with the quick crisped calimari and the right spiced dip. The pina coladas add zestful zing to your Caribbean connection. Highlight your island stay at this postcard appealing dining delight.

• Visited February 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
“Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We discovered mofongo, the Puerto Rican speciality, at this charming place. We wanted to sit outside but the staff quickly moved us in and upstairs when rain started. The service by Alejandro was excellent, as was the mofongo with shrimp and skirt steak. Our best meal in PR!

Visited January 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Enjoyed our lunch”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled on this cafe while waiting for a tour pick-up. Table of local men was a nice clue of its authenticity. Everything was fresh and well prepared. Chicken mofungo was a shredded seasoned chicken in a delicious plantain bowl. Service efficient, friendly and fast. Delicious cafe con leche. Nice outdoor tables in addition to inside seating in this small but well-run cafe.

1 Thank mgbenjer
Sudbury
“Best in Old San Juan”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The atmoshpere was perfect for the two of us enjoying a romantic dinner! We absolutely loved the service! Our waiters were so attentive that it just added to our memorable evening! The whole experience was amazing from start to end with lovely cocktails to start and delicious Pistachio Flan to complete our meal! Choosing from the menu was simple...as I had researched this restaurant before going! Based on other reviews my husband had the SkirtSteak and I of course had the Monfongo prepared a little differently! And our meals were incredibly tasty with so much flavour....mmmm I still think about that dinner! Priced well and in a great location, I highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Old San Juan! Enjoy!

• Visited January 2013
“The best mofongo I ever had , and my little man enjoyed the arroz con pollo”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The best mofongo I ever had , and my little man enjoyed the arroz con pollo... After a long day of running around shopping and seeing the sites of San Juan , they had a little outdoor seating that was quaint and fully staffed with waiters/servers in black and white that invited me to take a load off and brought me instantly a bottle of pellegrino and two glasses with ice and lime ... After that greeting I would have bought anything, but was glad the menu had my and my son's favorites we recognized from Spanish neighborhoods in NYC. The staff was deliciously gorgeous and entertaining us with charming banter... We ate and we drank and for the fellas though not associated with cafe Puerto Rico a charming older gentleman has a cabana right on the corner for your finest hand rolled after lunch or dinner smoke of tobacco/cigar.