“Great UNEXPECTED gourmet Experience”
Review of Jose Enrique

Jose Enrique
Ranked #31 of 1,100 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Located in the Placita de Santurce, the local farmers' market in the heart of San Juan and a very popular Friday night hangout among the locals.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I found the perfect excuse to come and explore the upcoming and trendy district of Santurce, Puerto Rico. Located only 10 minutes walk from Condado and 10 minutes by car from my headquarters at La Terraza de San Juan in Old San Juan. This restaurant is the classic example that a book should never be judged by its cover and that first impressions are not always the right ones. Seen from outside, Jose Enrique looks like a regular restaurant, but trust me you are in for a gourmet treat, if you follow your instincts. My recommendation, weather permits, ask to be seated outside, I did and LOVED it. FYI each time you visit is a new gourmet experience, since there is not set menu, and everyday is a new selection.

My choices for our lunch were: All paired to our own choice with Red Sangria. (Appetizer) Cangrejo + Balaju (needle fish) which BTW was beyond + Coconut Arepas with Conch. (Main course) Pez Espada (sword fish) and for (Dessert) we all shared some local donuts with various sauces, to end with some Chupitos signature by Chef Jose Enrique.

After such a great lunch, we decided to walk for a while around the district of Santurce, visit the fruit market and take a look at another great restaurant in the area, Santaella, located only two blocks away from Chef Jose Enrique. After that we cross the underground tunnels, towards Condado, for a quick coffee at the beach at the modern OCEANO.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The food is great. The atmosphere is OK. Jose Enrique has been recognized internationally and deservedly so as everything that came out of the kitchen was on point. We has snapper, churrassco and a number of pinchos, or small bites. They actually had a good selection of American craft beer which was interesting. The wine list could use a little help. Overall, for a foodie it's highly recommended. If you are looking for a hip atmosphere, maybe somewhere else.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The flight to Puerto Rico was worth it just to eat here. It's that good.

We were iffy on our way, cab ride was longer than we thought from isla verde, seemed questionable getting out of the cab and seeing where we were. That was followed by a 45 to hour and a half wait we were told. The lady taking names was super friendly and the long wait indicated there might be something here worth waiting for...so we waited and got in within 45 minutes. Thank God we did - as the food was incredible.

It's worth whatever you have to do to get here it's our best meal on the island after two trips down here. Just perfect.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Okay, if you're from NYC, the food might not exactly be worth the hour and 30 minute wait, but the entire experience ended up being one of my and my husband's most fun nights in PR. We arrived by cab around 6:40 on a Tuesday and were told immediately there would be an hour and 45 minute wait. We expected it so it was fine and really even if we hadn't expected it you're in the middle of a very random residential neighborhood, so where else are you going to eat? There are benches on the front porch for waiting, but my husband and I had heard of a nearby square where the locals hang out, so we decided to explore. One block over, we found it. It was lively with music, locals hanging out, drinking and eating, and small children running around. We got a couple of drinks from the bar and sat, taking in the scene. It was wonderful. Then we wandered back and waited on the porch with more drinks from their bar for another fifteen minutes. Total wait was about 90 minutes. The menu changes but they seem to fry seafood really well. The service was also a little uneven, but we didn't care. My steak was perfection. Only disappointment was that there seemed to be a different menu in the dining room than in the garden. Not sure why, but I definitely saw a menu of charcuterie as I was walking out. All in all worth a try for the entire experience, just don't go hungry!!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We went there for lunch and enjoyed every bit of it. Delicious food great cocktail. Only problem was to locate the restaurant as there is no sign outside. So look for pink/fuchsia house with glass doors.