“BEWARE OF THE LOCATION”

Ranked #33 of 1,093 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Description: Located in the Placita de Santurce, the local farmers' market in the heart of San Juan and a very popular Friday night hangout among the locals.
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My husband and I went to this restaurant because of the reviews in Trip advisor, but non of the reviews warned us of the absolutely scary location. It was 8:30 pm and there were drunks and beggars outside their front door that approached us.
It took forever to get sited even though their clients had left. The tables remained dirty for about 30 minutes. I ordered the ravioli dish and it was okay and my husband had a fish but had to return it because it was salty "extremely" overcooked. The service is disorganized and aloof . We would definitely not recommend this restaurant.

4  Thank fearfax123

Reviewed April 29, 2011

We had been encouraged to try Jose Enrique by friends who had eaten there before and had been warned that we might have to wait since they don't take reservations and the place is small. We tried to go there over the Easter weekend (but they were closed) and again on Monday, 4/26 - their normal day for being closed, so we almost gave up. Persistence paid off however, as we walked from our hotel, dodged raindrops and ended up with by far the best meal we had while in San Juan. Our second best meal was back at Jose Enrique the following evening (our last night in town and we couldn't imagine finding a better meal and knew we wouldn't be disappointed. The menu is updated daily, with the chef's selections being only what's available and fresh. On our first night, we ended up sitting at the bar and thoroughly enjoyed the service from and conversation with Marissa, the bartender. Her recommendations were excellent and she helped insure our dining experience was unforgettable. The four of us tried three different appetizers and four different main courses. Each was fabulous. The empanadillos were a big hit with my teenage daughter and her girlfriend while my wife enjoyed a lump crabmeat appetizer and I was blown away by the seared scallops and inoki mushrooms. Their signature whole fish dish was absolutely outstanding, made all the better by the fresh mango/papaya/avocado salsa that accompanied it. The next night, we couldn't think of any place we would rather dine, so we went back and tried totally different appetizers and entrees. Needless to say, we wholeheartedly recommend this place to anyone looking for a "neighborhood" restaurant serving world class cuisine. My only disappointment (in retrospect) is that because we are not big dessert eaters, we didn't try any of the great dessert selections we saw being served to adjacent tables. If you're in San Juan, this is a DO NOT MISS dining experience.

1  Thank bdorch
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Visited this restaurant after finding it listed online. It was not on the listing at our hotel, though. The neighborhood is a bit rough, but the food and experience was well worth the effort. Did not know there was a parking lot across the street, or we would have driven there. It is not a place to be walking after dark.
We had tuna, and steak, along with various appetizers. The ravioli (appetizer) was magnificent. Desserts were out of this world.
Preparation and presentation were outstanding.
The restaurant is a bit pricey, but worth every cent. I would heartily recommend Jose Enrique's.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

After a week of mediocre meals at best meals in Puerto Rico we went to Jose Enrique on our last night. I had wanted just one meal that I'd be knocked out by, and this was it. My husband and I were amazed by the food as was my father, and most impressively also our 8 year old son. Food great, appetizers, dinner, and definitely dessert. My son has never liked a chocolate dessert before and was eating this one so fast we had to fight him to get a bit. This is not an easy restaurant to find but worth every minute the trouble. Oh, and don't go when you're in a hurry. This is a 2-3 hour meal or longer. Service was also impressive.

1  Thank QMiller
Reviewed April 14, 2011

A group of 8 of us walked from the Marriott to Enrique's and at the waiters advise took a cab back that night. The feast lasted 3 hours. We sampled most of the appetizers. One was better than the next! Notably, the local sausage and the ravioli stuffed with goat meat. For the main, I had the Flat Iron Steak which was tender and flavorful. Others had the skirt steak, fillet and Fish. All with the same reaction. "Wonderful". Even the sides were extra special. The plain rice and beans were unique! For desert, I tried the cheese and fruit dish. Cheese
tasted like some cross between goat and sweet ricotta. It really went well with the pureed tropical dried fruit! We all agreed this was the highlight of our 6 day stay in San Juan!!