“Excellent place for knowledgeable visitors.”
Review of Jose Enrique

Jose Enrique
Ranked #36 of 1,034 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Located in the Placita de Santurce, the local farmers' market in the heart of San Juan and a very popular Friday night hangout among the locals.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent place for knowledgeable visitors.”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I took a couple of businesses associates to José Enrique last night. These gentlemen are experienced travelers, and foodies. We all loved the place. They were blown away by the atmosphere of the Placita de Santurce. Mind you, it was only Thursday. The food was excellent and unpretentious at the same time. The service was hip yet very friendly. Everything flowed very nicely. The prices are a bit high for the area, or at least what I was used to for the area. Yet, I have to admit that this place is head and shoulders above the rest.

North Bellmore, New York
“Foodies of the World-Pay Attention”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This New Yorker has dined in the best and worst restaurants from NYC to the Caribbean and I am still talking (and dreaming) about the "Incredible" meal we had at Jose Enrique on March 5th. I always research restaurants on tripadvisor before we travel and this one "hit the nail on the head"! The cab ride from Condado was somewhat "scary" since the streets in Santurce are VERY narrow and the neighborhood is somewhat questionable. The restaurant has no address on the building and it looks like someone's house, until you enter. Small room, high ceiling, nice intimate vibe with a small bar. Great Cocktails, no menu-specials posted on white boards, open kitchen. We LOVED this place! Started with the Tuna Tartare special recommended by our server and the sushi grade tuna was like candy in my mouth. Unfortunatly, i had to share with my partner (next visit -I get my own!) Local party of 6 sitting next to us ALL ordered the signature Deep Fried Whole Snapper so we followed suit. The presentation is simple but entertaining and the sweet, crispy delicate white fish just melts in your mouth. This is the way to do it! Very good wine list, they don't rush you and they take your cell phone # so you can walk around the Placita and enjoy the open bars (you can walk around with cocktails) and live music. They called us earlier than estimated and the Manager allowed us to bring our drinks into the restaurant. We ended our 3 hour dining experience with a Chocolate Trio and Mascarpone Flan. The Manager then called us a cab from his cell phone and "all was right with the world" . This restaurant is #1 for a VERY GOOD reason. It's a "full-on" culinary experience.

Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Must Visit!”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Jose Enrique is one of the top two meals that I have had in my lifetime. I've traveled extensively to New York City, San Francisco, London, and Washington D.C and am married to a self-professed foodie. This is better than many far more expensive restaurants and the service is phenomenal. Everything is made on site when you order. The menu is a white board because it changes daily based on what is available locally. We started off with home made pork sausage with plantains. It was incredible. You could taste how fresh it was (the sausage was made that day). Our entrees were Cobia (a mild fish) and a skirt steak, each of which was delicious. The steak was melt in your mouth tender, better than any of the high end steak houses that I have eaten at. We finished with a chocolate sampler, which had a mocca chocolate ice cream, chocolate mousse, and a chocolate brownie with fudge drizzled over it. The chocolate was out of this world.
Our bill came to $78 dollars before tip, which was very reasonable for an appetizer, two entrees, two desserts, and drinks (including alcohol).
The food is complimented by exceptional service and an unpretentious atmosphere that allows you to relax and enjoy the meal.
The only downside to this restaurant is that it has no sign, so it can be tough to find. We walked right by the first time and if not for reading the earlier trip advisor reviews, would have missed it completely.
Despite the poor marking, this gem is worth the effort to find. You will not be disapointed.

New York City, New York
“Great!”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Definitely worth the cab ride to the neighborhood of Santurce, this was one of the best meals i've had on any trip to San Juan. Trendy, great atmosphere, fresh market food. The whole fried fish entree was amazing, as was the smoked pork starter, and the coconut dessert. Also great beer selection (Hommel Bier from Watou, Belgium!). I wanted to go again the following night!

Westfield, New Jersey
“Delicious!!! :)”
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My friends and me have been vacationing in Puerto Rico for over twenty-five years. During these vists we have eaten in many establishments. This is easily as good as the eateries located in the El San Juan Hotel. We had a little difficulty finding the loaction however it was well worth the search. I have nothing negative to say about my new favorite restaurant in Puerto Rico....................Jose Enriques.

• Visited February 2011