“If you want to eat with pigeons...this is your place”
Review of Latin Star

Latin Star
Ranked #777 of 1,025 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Description: http://www.igougo.com/dining-reviews-b144586-San_Juan-Latin_Star.html
Massapequa, New York
“If you want to eat with pigeons...this is your place”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We recently ate lunch at Latin Star during our trip to San Juan. We tried to eat outside, as it was covered from the hot sun and they had ceiling fans to keep it somewhat cool .We ordered Mofongo and grilled chicken and a side of tostones, While we waiting for our food one pigeon after another kept flying in and walking around looking for scraps to eat. It was quite disgusting. We quickly found a table inside. The service was slow, it took almost a half our for our entries to arrive and even then they forgot the tostones. Upon reminding the waitress of the missing item she apologized and promptly brought them out 15 minutes later. We sent them back. Warning: this restaurant automatically adds a 15% tip to all checks if you order 5 items.They dont tell you this. Be careful if you do eat here to check our bill and dont overtip. I caught this at the last second and I am glad I did, given the slow service and the flight and attack of the pigeons, I would have been more upset had I figured out the tipping situation later.

Diners beware.

Visited July 2013

• Finnish first
NC
“Tourist Trap”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went there for dinner and ordered a fried snapper fish the waiter did not explain they come in different sizes so of course he gave me the most expensive one. Our bill was $125.00. My wife only ordered Civche and a Mofongo and I ordered the fish with two drinks. My fish itself was $60.00 , it was dry as a cardboard box. As other reviews stated "stay away from this so called restaurant"!

New York City, New York
“Disgusting”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I came here with my daughter one late night craving Shrimp Mofongo. We ordered it and it came out in typical style, in a Pilon.

At this point i was SO disgusted! The pilon smelled like old mildew, like the smell of leaving water in a sponge for days. A HORRIBLE STENCH. It grossed me out to no end. I swear I talk about this place to this day because i was SO dissapointed that a place like this serving mofongo al pilon does not serve it in Sanitary pilons! People can get sick eating out of that from bacteria growing in the wood.

If they dont even wash their beautiful wooden hand carved pilons correctly to avoid anyone getting sick, imagine what else can be this dirty and unsafe in their establishment?

NEVER AGAIN!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank irene c
Sarasota, Florida
“I really wanted to like this place.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here 3 different times during our vacation in San Juan, twice for breakfast and once for dinner. It was right down the street from our hotel and the first time we were there for breakfast it was really great. We were seated promptly and our food came out quick and hot.
The next time we went for dinner and it all went down hill from there. The service sucked, the food was mediocre, and we couldn't wait to leave in the end but couldn't because our server was holding our change ransom. Usually, I'd just leave the $4 change but after the ordeal we went through (our dinner lasted 2 hours because of bad service) I was determined not to give our waiter any more of my money. If the tip hadn't been included in the bill he wouldn't have gotten that either.
Two days later after the memory of the dinner ordeal had worn off we tried them for breakfast again...remember the first time was really good. Well, we must have caught the on a fluke of a good day the first time because again the service sucked. Luckily, you can't really screw up eggs and pancakes too bad so the food was again good.
I would say if you're going to go here don't expect good service and if you want good food only go for breakfast otherwise there are lots of other good places to go.
All in all, the prices were good, especially for being on the main road of all the hotels...breakfast is good...dinner is bad...and the service needs a good kick in the pants.

Bronx, New York
“To each his own but if you want good service stay away.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I literally just left the restaurant and had to post something. Staff is unhelpful Probably because 15% tip is included. Service was slow and food was mediocre. I asked for check and waited on that too. In reference to tip it was just two of us so it wasn't much but if the service was better I would have added to it because I value service.

Down the block from there there was a restaurant with a bar outside and seating inside as well and the food and service are delicious.