“breakfast place....”

Latin Star
Ranked #780 of 1,050 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: http://www.igougo.com/dining-reviews-b144586-San_Juan-Latin_Star.html
Reviewed January 10, 2013

we used this place for breakfast. The things are very basic, very reasonable priced with a relatively friendly service. What more to ask for …. oh yeah you can have espresso without milk too!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

While in Puerto Rico I was keen to try out some local food. Between the Renaissance and the Marriott was the Latin Star. Each day a young lady in traditional dress hands out menu's to people in the hope they will come to the restaurant to enjoy local food. Everything seems ideal. However the food is barely edible. The people are friendly enough but they need to find themselves a chef. I had a seafood Mofongo. Seemed ideal as I really like seafood and it had plantain too -that's local right so how bad could it be? Well really bad tasteless rubbery mush. And to top it off the bill was completely out of proportion to the quality of the food we had. In normal circumstances nothing kills a bad business faster than good marketing. Unfortunately they survive by targeting the passing visitor trade. My advice for the restaurant would be it is as easy to do it properly as it is to rip off tourists. My advice to visitors to Peurto Rico when you see this restaurant- Walk on by there are much better places for 1/3 the cost.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband was busy watching Sunday football at the Upper Deck across the street and I wanted something more substantial than bar food. I was given a breadbasket at no charge and I had the chicken mofongo which was pretty good. When I ordered water, I didn't realize that they charge, but when she brought the bottle, I saw on the menu that it was $2. It's not a big deal, but it would've been nice if the waitress said something. They also automatically add gratuity which I don't like, but then I just leave them the added 15% instead of 20%. My service was good and in fact, I had several people check on me. I went for lunch, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I had a good experience. The food was decent and I thought the prices were reasonable.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I am not generally fussy when it comes to food, although I will avoid a few things.

But, this restaurant was very bad, from serving the wrong food to giving me the wrong check, while at the same time having no apparent concern for me, the customer.

I had roast pork, which was dry and way too salty. It came with rice and beans, and I got an avocado and tomato salad. None of these had any taste at all, and no dressing was offered for the salad.

I got the wrong bill and not once did a waiter or waitress come to ask how my food was.

It appears from other reviews that are posted on this and other web sites that this restaurant seems to intentionally rip people off. This may have been the case for me, as I did not realize that the salad was an extra $7 and the original bill that I got was for much more than my order.

There were some good restaurants with good service in San Juan. This restaurant is not one of them and I would recommend that people not visit it.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The attitude from people who have no idea how to run a restaurant, the food was really bad, high prices, and they tried to totally rip me off financially as well!

1  Thank Corvid_12