“If only”
Review of AireNumo - CLOSED

AireNumo
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Native Puertorican Cuisine, Family friendly, children's & vegetarian menu. Enjoy Art Gallery, Bar Lounge and on weekends musical entertainment
Reviewed February 17, 2014

If only this place had reasonable prices for drinks, I would have given it a four. If I had stayed long enough to have dinner, maybe a five. I couldn't get past the appetizers. At this point, our small party of four, had just 6 drinks or beer and were already at $50.00. Two appetizers added another $20.00. A glass of 12 year old scotch on the rocks was $10.00, and I don't think it was even a full shot. What is this? Spain? For $10.00 I would have expected at least a half glass full of Scotch, not half a shot.

This is a shame because AireNumo is in a privileged section of Old San Juan. At the top of Plaza de la Barandilla just off San Francisco. I'm sure dinner would have been great just by the smells alone. But I'm in the habit of when trying a new place, to try the bar first for drinks and appetizers. See how that goes, then close the tab, and then ask for a table. Sorry, but $70.00 for 2 appetizers and 6 drinks, one of which was just a beer? No thanks.

There are other places in Old San Juan where you can get a good stiff drink for $6.50 or less, which invites you to stay and try more stuff. If AireNumo had better drink prices, I bet it would be much more popular. Maybe the owners don't want to cater to the drinking crowd, and that's fine. If you're not a drinker, give this place a shot. If you're like me who like to enjoy a great meal with good drinks, keep going.

1  Thank AoSPR

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Food was really good tapas were full of flavor, great place, perfect location nice part of old san juan. Good prices.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great experience! The secret about Old San Juan is: if it's not a cruise ship port day, everything closes early. So after figuring out all the restaurants we had researched were closed, we followed our noses here for dinner. What a pleasant surprise!

The food is absolutely delicious. Tapas were not exactly what I had planned for my first Puerto Rican meal, but they were so good. Our table ordered the appetizer of the day: serrano ham, manchego cheese and the most delicious garlic sauteed mushrooms. For mains, the garlic shrimp were apparently very tasty (I'm allergic so couldn't sample them). My friend ordered the pork, chicken and chorizo paella which he highly enjoyed. My escargot, chorizo and mushroom paella was absolutely delicious. I don't often think of escargot outside of French cuisine, but this was delicious! To top it off, the sangria was the best we had on the trip.

Service was on the slower side, but very friendly. Our server enthusiastically described dishes and had good recommendations. It's a little pricier than we had been looking to spend, but highly worth it.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had a bad (and bizarre) experience with this place.

-- I called to see if they were open for dinner. The woman who answered spoke only Spanish, said "no English", and hung up the phone on me. Really? You are in Old San Juan and you can't have one of your English-speaking waiters talk to a customer?

-- When I went to the restaurant (~8:45 or 9pm), the front doors were locked. Really? The host inside saw me behind the bar, and made no reaction. After a few minutes, she finally came over and very lazily opened the door. When I asked why the door was locked, they said for "security reasons".

-- The food was bad/mediocre/tepid. I got a seafood paella and the seafood did not taste fresh.

-- They messed up my order. I ordered an octopus shrimp paella (the order was very clear; I made a point to be very explicit when ordering in Old San Juan restaurants) and out came a lobster paella. When I pointed out this error, the waiters apologized but asked if I would want it. (It's late now and we are one of the last people in the restaurant.) I said fine. The lobster paella is much more expensive than the octopus paella, and in this case, usually restaurants would charge me the amount for the paella I ordered since it was their error. But of course, they charged me the higher price. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it made me feel ripped off.

-- The Paella was not even good. It didn't taste fresh. The worst paella I had in PR. The appetizers were not good either. And the mojito was the worst I had in PR, very watered down.

If anything, probably, the only bright spot was the two tall male waiters, who were friendly and nice (though they did mess up my order.)

In sum, this was a terrible experience-- bad food and left feeling ripped-off. Not sure why this place has such high ratings. As I now see, most restaurants in Old San Juan are tourist traps, so you might as well just go to Barrachina, since at least they have a very nice courtyard/semi-al fresco dining room (nice atmosphere) and good drinks (home of the original pina colada, so you can check that off your check list). I would avoid this restaurant!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This restaurant is always on my must visit list when I'm in Old San Juan. It is beautifully decorated in old Spanish style and has nice ambiance. The food is delicious and the staff are very attentive and personable. They even let my girlfriend play their piano! Practiced my Spanish, they told me it was good. I disagree but it was nice to hear that! Great, great mouth-watering menu with for example, paella many different ways. The asopao de mariscos was fabulous. You should check this place out.