“Overated.”

Panaderia Espana Reposteria
Ranked #30 of 1,006 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Since our beginning in 1972 we strived to provide the best products to our new clients as well as to those that visit us on a regular basis. Even those travelers that during their brief stay in Puerto Rico, step out of the airport and visit us just to have a taste of the wonderfull things that they have heard of “La España”. Our menu is one that holds and respects an enormous tradition. From our daily baked bread to our coffee served hot every time. From our sandwiches made with the best products to that pastry that melts in your mouth. From that exquisite seafood paella, to that our very traditional galician soup. Many recepies come from past genetations and others we have given a personal twist, this way offering a unique product to those that enjoy our delicious variety. Our passion for quality is what drives us. We are in a constant lookout for better ingredients and products so we can always guarantee our best to every customer.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overated.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I'm not quite sure why this place gets such good reviews. By that I'm not implying that they are horrible either. I ordered a choripan and my wife ordered two empanadillas. Sandwich was bland as were the empanadas. I'm not sure if this was real Spanish food or Puerto Rican food...just very lackluster. The place was packed and the beer was cold. I guess they're doing alright by some or perhaps it's a tourist trap, who knows. It's a good place if you're really hungry but you will have way better frituras from streetside vendors than from this place. Good luck.

1 Thank smps76

Metairie, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It used to be a well kept secret ...”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

... but this place is too GREAT not to share.

Not only are all the pastries amazing ... but the atmosphere is chic and fresh and the guys behind the counter are beyond nice.

I used to go here as a kid when I lived in Puerto Rico - I have fond memories of my grandmother and her love of this place and while I was there this past week, I was able to introduce my good friends/travel companions and they too loved it. That was not a surprise.

We traveled the entire island, and ate just about everything from the fresh fish at the Luquillo kioks to the awesome restaturants in Old San Juan - But this was the only place we visited multiple times.

Great value - Great atmosphere!

• Visited October 2012
“Best Bakery in San Juan, Puerto Rico”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I go to PR every three months and at least two times during my trip I will eat in this bakery. Excellent, clean, Food is delicious. You can find any kind of food all day. It is few minutes from the San Juan airport.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Aidita's C
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best everything....bakery or lunch. Best coffee.”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Best of best... You can have a coffee or paella or octopus. If you want fancy go somewhere else. If you want to eat excellent come to this place. Pastries are to die for. I am from Puerto Rico and I know best:)

1 Thank Doris F
San Francisco, California
“I could eat there more than once a day!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

As a frequent traveler to Puerto Rico, there is never a time that we do not visit Espana. Every morning for the café con leche, mallorca and the croquettas. The Cuban and Media Noche sandwiches are delicious as well as the tembleque. I wish I was there right now!

• Visited September 2011