“Great Mofongo at cozy mom-and-pop”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Caldero Sabroso - CLOSED

El Caldero Sabroso
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: You did not have puerto Rican cuisine as an option it is authentic PR food walking distance from Plaza Colon. A little Mom and Pop place with excellent food and very bad signage. I nearly walked by the little chalkboard sign out front. Phone (787)948-6479.
Orono, Maine
“Great Mofongo at cozy mom-and-pop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Incredible Mofongo--garilcky and limey! SOOOO good!. You will get great and personable srevice here at this mom and pop restaurant. Visit it; when we were there around 7:30 on a Saturday, we were the only customers. It may not look fancy, but man, is the food good.

I'll be dreaming of this meal when I am back in snowy Maine.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank sarahhh40797

Chicago
“The best vegetable mufongo dish in Old San Juan!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was the best vegetable mufongo dish during our four nights in Old San Juan. I was surprised to see that the veggie dish was more expensive than the chicken dish but did have large portions. In fact we split the veggie dish between two people. The venue was small and intimate and only one other couple there. The host was very friendly and attentive to us during our visit. Look forward to going back when I am in Old San Juan again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Steven S
“Excellent mofongo but overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We stepped into this restaurant by pure chance in a rainy night and were the only customers. The owner received us and the ambiance is decorated with family memorabilia. Our chicken mofongo was prepared at the moment and it tasted delicious. Our only complaint is the steep price of the chicken mofongo. We expected to pay, at the most, around $10. bucks, which is rather slightly above average for old San Juan, but ended paying around $15 which is definetely beyond the range even for a tourist trap. Flavor, portion and presentation, however, met our standards.

Pasadena, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Meal of the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were in San Juan on a day when most restaurants, shops, and museums were closed due to a storm warning. By chance, we came across El Caldero Sabroso which was still open. I was a little disappointed; I'd scoped out recommended restaurants in Viejo San Juan on Tripadvisor and Chowhound and now I wouldn't get to try them. But it turned out to be an amazing restaurant where we had the best meal of our trip.

We ordered the bistec encebollado and the mofongo con carne frita y cebollas (fried pork and onions). The food did take awhile, but that was understandable since there was only one woman doing all the serving and cooking. It did feel as though we were guests in her home rather than in a restaurant. During our visit, the restaurant didn't even have a sign outside. I didn't find out what the restaurant was called until I came home and saw it on my credit card bill.

The only other guests were a Puerto Rican family who stopped eating only to gush about the food to the owner/chef. As for our own food, both of the dishes were incredible. I still dream about that mofongo and fried pork. If I ever come back to San Juan, I would seriously consider eating there every day. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Visited August 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
“Hidden Gem - but ONLY go here if you have time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Food was so delicious but it was a full hour between when we ordered and when our food arrived. I believe the older woman running the place was the primary cook in the kitchen as well. The food was authentic Puerto Rico and I would not have guessed how good mofongo could be.

Visited June 2012