“Hidden Gem - but ONLY go here if you have time”
Review of El Caldero Sabroso - CLOSED

El Caldero Sabroso
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Description: You did not have puerto Rican cuisine as an option it is authentic PR food walking distance from Plaza Colon. A little Mom and Pop place with excellent food and very bad signage. I nearly walked by the little chalkboard sign out front. Phone (787)948-6479.
Asheville, North Carolina
“Hidden Gem - but ONLY go here if you have time”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Food was so delicious but it was a full hour between when we ordered and when our food arrived. I believe the older woman running the place was the primary cook in the kitchen as well. The food was authentic Puerto Rico and I would not have guessed how good mofongo could be.

Visited June 2012

“Why eat anywhere else?”
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Ita is truly wonderful. We had a hard time finding this spot and got there late. But when she saw how disappointed I was she opened the restaurant for us. It was my 11 year old daughters b'day and Ita even blew up balloons for us. THE FOOD WAS SO FRESH TASTY AND MADE WITH LOVE. I can't wait to go back to PR. I WANT TO TRY HER ENTIRE MENU!!!

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Should be #1 on Tripadvisor! Like eating in someone's sweet Puerto Rican home!!!”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

A local told me about this place and largely, it's all locals that eat here. When I arrived the Chef/Owner was solo in the kitchen, working her hardest to fulfill the orders of the crowd, the Host (her husband) told me that it would be a 30 minute wait for food...I REALLY wanted to try this place so I told him: "How about I place my order and give you my cell phone number so you can call me when it's ready?!" He gladly obliged and I enjoyed a nice stroll through BEAUTIFUL Old San Juan...great system, yay for iPhones!!! He called me when it was ready and for $12.95 I had one of the BEST Chicken dishes; it was made with cilantro and sautéed onions, served with delicious rice and kidney beans and salad....it was one of the BEST HOMEMADE MEALS EVER! For dessert I couldn't resist their mammoth Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Shavings, although they told me :"We keep it honest here, we don't make that cake here but it's great!" What a memorable night...prepare for a long wait or use my method but seriously, this is a relaxing place near Plaza Colón that you will lonnnnng remember! GO!!!!

Madrid, Spain
“nice place, good food”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We went twice for dinner in our visit to SJ. It is a cozy place and doña Ita, the owner, is a really charming person, very attentive and very nice. Food is very good and not overpriced... the best mofongo we tasted in PR!, and delicious desserts!, chocolate cake was incredible... we highly recommended this place!.

• Visited December 2011
Memphis
“Awesome little restaurant in heart of Old San Juan!”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I found this little gem of a restaurant while walking through the streets of old San Juan.

There are approximately 7 tables in this restaurant, and the 2 page menu was filled with authentic dishes that are made to order as you wait.

There were two things that made this a truly delightful dining experience. The food was exceptional and the service was informal but very friendly and attentive. I sat there while waiting for my meal to arrive and watched the people walk by outside the big (open) front window.

I had the grilled chicken with sweet plantains and a side salad. The portions were good, and the food arrived hot as it was made to order. I very much enjoyed my meal, and suspect any of the entrees on the menu would have been great.

In addition to the entrees, they also offered a number of tempting homemade desserts (cakes, pies, turnovers) that looked like they would be worth a try on a return visit.

The lady who owns the place was also the cook, and manned the cash register. In addition to my very nice waitress, she came out of the kitchen and interacted with every table to make certain everyone was happy with their meals. She was quite pleasant, and you could tell this restaurant is a labor of love for her.

• Visited November 2011