“Great Stay In A Hidden Gem!”

Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I recently returned from a wonderful stay at the Lagoon Caribe Hilton as this is a very nice property. I'll also state that I have stayed there (Lagoon) in the past but was not overly impressed as the rooms / views did not meet my expectation. Per my stay a year ago, I relocated to the main facility as i was not a happy camper. This trip was totally different. I called ahead and expressed that I desired a room per my reservation (King w/terrace/Oceanview). The gentleman who helped me (Omar) was super. He assured me that my room would meet my criterion and he did not disappoint! My room (7405) overlooked a small cannon outpost with the ocean in the backdrop. The room also had a small kitchenette (full fridge, dishwasher, stove, and table) along with my king bed and terrace! The room is in an extremely private location but within a 3 min walk to the main facility.
In addition, this room is directly adjacent to the garden area with access to a small private pool and jacuzzi. It's great for couples desiring romance but is great for singles as well as it's really close to the main facility but offers a ton of privacy as there are no angular rooms that can see you. There is also a fine restaurant (Lemongrass) in the garden area which was a 2 min walk from the room.
In speaking with the staff, anything from 1-10 (i.e. 7401-7410) are the choice selections in the lagoon area. Each room is different so call ahead and tell them your desires and (per my experience) then will exceed them. I will add that those at the main reception desk (Mildred is a gem) always provides great assistance.
I will add my room was very nice. It had a few minor imperfections but given the view, privacy, and location to the main facility, I was fine. The maid service was simply outstanding as they work very hard to keep the patrons happy.
The only drawback to the hotel area is that there is no grocery store but a quick cab ride to the sister property (Doubletree) will fix this as they have a grocery store directly across the street which offers everything you will need to include alcohol. By the way, the taxi's will wait for you while you shop with no extra fees.
Also, during my stay, I did not see a lot of families but tons of folks down for conferences and long weekenders. The hotel main bar area offers light entertainment but there are tons of other places to hang out and explore in San Juan. For those looking for a party, the El San Juan Hotel is the place to be…lots of fun! Cigar Aficionados should definitely hit the Cigar House in Old San Juan as it is newly renovated and is definitely maturing as a nice place to enjoy a smoke and drink. Call ahead as they always have cigar events during the year.
Upon leaving, I truly wished that I had three more days..but then again, given the outstanding service that I received just gives me an excuse to come back in a month or so!
Again, many thanks to Omar and the rest of the Hilton Staff as they truly exceeded my expectations!

Room Tip: Call ahead! Anything from 1-10 (i.e. 7401-7410) are the choice selections in the lagoon area as it i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank THOMAS J
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience at our property. We work hard to exceed guest’s expectation and is gratifying when one reads reviews like yours.

We thank you again for staying with us and would be thankful to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We booked a 7 day cruise out of San Juan so we reserved 1 night before the cruise and 2 nights after the cruise all at the Condado Villas at Caribe Hilton. We did not arrive until 5 am and just wanted to sleep for 5 or 6 hours until we boarded the ship. The manager insisted we pay a $20 resort fee even though we only wanted a few hours sleep. Then we found our room had only 1 bed despite the hotel emailing a confirmation that I would have 2 beds for our 4 people. There were supposedly no other rooms available so my kids slept on the floor. We could not use the pillows in the room as there were short curly black hairs on them from someone before us. We could not wait to get on the ship and away from the Hilton.
After the cruise we unfortunately had all ready reserved and paid for 2 more nights at this disaster of a hotel. Unless you have recently won the lottery you will most ;ikely not want to eat at this hotel as a hamburger is $15 and a frozen drink is $12-$15. The pool and beach are really nice but that is the only good thing I can say about the hotel. Even though we were charged $20 every day for a "Resort fee", the Kayak rental was $30 a half hour, snorkel gear $15 an hour, tubes $15 an hour, The beach attendant would only set up an umbrella for us if we tipped him. The resort fee is nothing more than a pure profit nonsense fee to buy a new car for Paris Hilton and family.
I would encourage anyone going to San Juan for a cruise or any other reason to stay some where other than the Hilton. If anyone needs details or has questions please feel free to contact me at michaelbaar66@gmail.com.

Michael Baar

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your input and apologize you were disappointed in your stay.
We work hard to ensure our guests are safe and comfortable stay. Unfortunately charge to which you refer to, Resort Fee is a charge which is part of the regular room charge as all resorts in the island charges. Your reservation was made thru a third party on line, and resort fee is not paid by them On your second reservation, I verified and you had a lovely room with 2 queen beds overlooking the ocean and Condado Bay. I apologize once again that we could not meet your expectations and do hope you gives the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our overall stay was okay. The property was pretty nice. Our room was decent, but one day the maid forgot to clean the tub maybe because they were in a hurry i don't know. I called housekeeping and asked could someone come back and properly clean the tub. I didn't understand why the hotel does not have shuttle service to and from the airport service since the distance of a drive was only fifteen minutes. They should also have a shuttle service to go to Old San Juan since alot of people were heading there. Instead of having to pay the $15.00 cab fees going to and coming back from San Juan which is where we spent a majority of our time. The cab rides add up really fast. There was no nightlife at all just some karoke. The staff was pretty friendly and told us to go party in Old San Juan where everything was. The hotel was more on the expensive side to eat and drink so we did alot of walking into town to eat. But to each is own some people might not mind. Last but not least we always sleep with our balcony door open to hear the ocean, but apparenly where our room was there was a dog nearby because I promised he barked in the wee hours of the night for four of our five nights there. I constantly called the front desk and told them, but I don't know if they truly believed me or not. Overall it was an okay stay for me. Hopefully I can make it to Hawaii next year. Fingers crossed.

Room Tip: Bring plenty of cab money.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl W
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

The reason why we no metro area hotel can provide shuttle services to airport and/or Old San Juan is because it not permitted by local laws. I would also like to express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered with your room cleanliness while in our property. We take your feedback very serious and will share them with our Housekeeping team.

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I really was not sure what to expect whence booked here. Typically, we stay at all inclusives, so this was a change for us, and I believe it is not fair to compare this property with other Caribbean island all inclusive resorts. That being said, the standard room with kitchenette (counter/sink, microwave and fridge) was very acceptable. We had requested a rollaway bed, but found out they are not permitted in the 2 queen bed rooms due to fire code. They were very accommodating though and gave us a twin air mattress for our stay. The bathroom was decent sized, shower water pressure was good, and the shower head was high enough for tall people! Beds were extremely comfortable, and I never heard anything from any of the surrounding rooms, or hallway when we were trying to sleep. There was some construction going on in the building across the way that caused some noise issues fairly early in the morning, but it was tolerable.
Beach and pool were great, never had trouble finding a chair. The staff is very helpful and accommodating, both on the beach, and within the hotel. Drinks are pretty expensive at all of the bars.
We ate off property most of the time, due to better prices, and desire to eat at some local restaurants. Check out El Hamburger....very casual. Very good. Great prices. Walking distance from hotel.
The resort fee confused me a bit.... I was aware that it would be added on to our stay, but am still a little unclear as to what it paid for....beach towel? Beach chair? Would have been nice if some water sports would be included in the room/resort fee price.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, or recommend it based on the beach alone. There are a number of hotels in the area, and I would say from what I saw, that the Villas at Caribe Hilton had the best beach by far.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico. We are delighted to read your positive comments about your stay in our property.

We strive to deliver excellent service and make your stay a memorable one. Your comments are appreciated and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We called early in the morning after arriving from our cruise to see about an early check-in. We told anytime after 1pm (actual check-in is at 4pm) we would be safe. What I didn't know until we exited the ship was that today was the day of the Ironman Race. (I need to digress and say how amazed and inspired I was to see so many finishers staying at the hotel!) The streets were closed all over the place, so it made traffic getting to the hotel a nightmare.

We ended up showing up around 3:15 and the room was not ready. We went to the on site restaurant Pina Colada Club and enjoyed a great late lunch/early dinner. They called us when we were finishing up to say we could check in.

It was a quick stay, in at 4:30 and out about 6am. I was disppointed that there was a resort fee, as we really went to our room & never left. Other than the TV, which offered many channels, I could not justify why the fee?

The room was clean, the bathroom quite large and the beds were comfortable. There was a microwave, refrigerator, and sink. If I were to stay for an extended period, this would have made for a nice stay, and location was very convenient to Old San Juan.

Room Tip: The hallways are all tile, so be sure to get further away from the elevator as the noise of the hall...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico. We strive to deliver a great experience and have our guest leave happy.

We hope to see you back in the near future and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Villas. This time we rented a 2 bedroom villa adjoined by a kitchen and living room. We caught a cab from the airport and had them stop by the grocery store on the way. Well worth the extra $5 for the stop and $20 in groceries to eat in 2 of the 3 meals. We did only cold meals though so I can't speak of utensils, pots & pans. The extra bedroom for my son and mother-in-law was well worth the price and extra room/bathroom. We could use the living room as a social area plus we had access to 3 balconies (one in each room). We rented a car from Avis in Condado (a quick walk across the bridge) the day before Thanksgiving we drove to Luquilla beach. This is a beautiful, government ran beach about a 30 min drive away. It is very clean with awesome waves. They also have a local grill onsite with incredible local flair, water and pop. My family of 4 ate a full meal for less than $8. At the bend of the beach was a sand bar about 50 yards out into the water. My husband and 8 year old son swam out to it and found the most amazing shells. It was nice to find an actual beach. While the resort has a beach onsite, this was a nice getaway to actual waves for a kid that likes to boogie board. Thanksgiving Day, the concierge at Caribe Hilton directed us to a restaurant within walking distance call El Livin. The Thanksgiving meal was hard to beat. Though we had to have reservations, it was not stuffy or dressy and they greeted us with smiles. We were able to eat in jeans and flip flops but the meal was four stars. Turkey stuffed with sweet plantains drizzled with cranberry sauce with a side of cous cous was incredible. The meal with a bottle of wine was $20/person for 2. We were also able to easily find something for our picky 8 year old. Will we be back to Caribe Hilton? Sure! San Juan is easy to get to as well as the Caribe Hilton. The cab ride is short from the airport, the concierge is so helpful and the housekeeping was great!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PRVistor

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico. We are thrilled to read your comments and learn that your stay was a pleasant one. We strive to deliver a great experience and have our guest leave happy.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for one night after our cruise on March 24th.

First and foremost - the checkin staff was GREAT! I do not recall her name, but she was so friendly and helpful!

We were in room 7825 and it did have a nice city very and small balcony. The room was nice and clean (with the exception of the ear plugs we found under the bed). We slept well, but the only thing that was strange, was a vibration noise that was apparently coming from the room next to us, it sounding like someone had their cell phone on vibrate and we heard it MANY times thoughout the afternoon and night, even with the TV on...a little irritating, but not the hotel's fault.

The hotel is in need of a make over, but the looks of the hotel would not keep me from staying there again, as I loved the open outdoor feeling.

The only thing that would keep me from staying there with my kids is the lagoon area. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but it is hard to walk in the sand and there are a LOT of rocks in the water, I stubbed my toes and lost a toe nail!

My family and I love playing and swimming on the beaches, so that would be the only reason I wouldn't stay there again! The pools were wonderful also.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple