“2nd time a charm”

Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Villas. This time we rented a 2 bedroom villa adjoined by a kitchen and living room. We caught a cab from the airport and had them stop by the grocery store on the way. Well worth the extra $5 for the stop and $20 in groceries to eat in 2 of the 3 meals. We did only cold meals though so I can't speak of utensils, pots & pans. The extra bedroom for my son and mother-in-law was well worth the price and extra room/bathroom. We could use the living room as a social area plus we had access to 3 balconies (one in each room). We rented a car from Avis in Condado (a quick walk across the bridge) the day before Thanksgiving we drove to Luquilla beach. This is a beautiful, government ran beach about a 30 min drive away. It is very clean with awesome waves. They also have a local grill onsite with incredible local flair, water and pop. My family of 4 ate a full meal for less than $8. At the bend of the beach was a sand bar about 50 yards out into the water. My husband and 8 year old son swam out to it and found the most amazing shells. It was nice to find an actual beach. While the resort has a beach onsite, this was a nice getaway to actual waves for a kid that likes to boogie board. Thanksgiving Day, the concierge at Caribe Hilton directed us to a restaurant within walking distance call El Livin. The Thanksgiving meal was hard to beat. Though we had to have reservations, it was not stuffy or dressy and they greeted us with smiles. We were able to eat in jeans and flip flops but the meal was four stars. Turkey stuffed with sweet plantains drizzled with cranberry sauce with a side of cous cous was incredible. The meal with a bottle of wine was $20/person for 2. We were also able to easily find something for our picky 8 year old. Will we be back to Caribe Hilton? Sure! San Juan is easy to get to as well as the Caribe Hilton. The cab ride is short from the airport, the concierge is so helpful and the housekeeping was great!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PRVistor
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico. We are thrilled to read your comments and learn that your stay was a pleasant one. We strive to deliver a great experience and have our guest leave happy.

We hope to see you back in the near future and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for one night after our cruise on March 24th.

First and foremost - the checkin staff was GREAT! I do not recall her name, but she was so friendly and helpful!

We were in room 7825 and it did have a nice city very and small balcony. The room was nice and clean (with the exception of the ear plugs we found under the bed). We slept well, but the only thing that was strange, was a vibration noise that was apparently coming from the room next to us, it sounding like someone had their cell phone on vibrate and we heard it MANY times thoughout the afternoon and night, even with the TV on...a little irritating, but not the hotel's fault.

The hotel is in need of a make over, but the looks of the hotel would not keep me from staying there again, as I loved the open outdoor feeling.

The only thing that would keep me from staying there with my kids is the lagoon area. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but it is hard to walk in the sand and there are a LOT of rocks in the water, I stubbed my toes and lost a toe nail!

My family and I love playing and swimming on the beaches, so that would be the only reason I wouldn't stay there again! The pools were wonderful also.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim H

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was put in a room on a high floor with two balconies facing the east (away from Old San Juan). Overall the room was good, but they were having all sorts of problems (electrical - breakers kept popping, and HVAC - room would not cool below 72-73 degrees). Otherwise, the Villas had access to the Hilton so that was nice access to the pools and such. The breakfast staff at the Hilton were terrific!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kuwells

Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico. Glad to read your comments and learn that your stay was a pleasant one.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I take our kids to Puerto Rico each year for Spring Break this is the second time staying on the property the first in Caribe Hilton this time in The Villas. The rooms are not very big I found the rooms at the Caribe Hilton to be larger. It did have a kitchenette which was nice. Because the room was not large enough we decided to add the living room with sofa sleeper and full kitchen and shower only bathroom. We had a city view of Condado and the Condado Lagoon.The pools and beach areas are nice but I'm not sure why this hotel is considered a resort the activities were awful who wants to play BINGO on the beach in 82 degree weather?!? No one except the one person playing it! Paddle boats and inner tubes were available for a fee the fee should have been the hefty resort fee added to my bill so be mindful of this before booking. We never ate at the restaurants they are pricey we walked to Condado and ate at authentic puerto rican restaurants we even had pizza delivered our first night there you will save lots of $$$ if you eat local not to mention it not far and the walk over is very nice so take a camera. We also went to Old San Juan the cab ride was $10 each way well worth it. Overall this is a nice pricey hotel with a great location.Housekeeping was great and hotel staff very friendly. However they should re-consider calling this a resort I can bring my own beach towel (only thing that was included in resort fee).

Room Tip: Go for the suite if you are traveling with children.
3  Thank Luvs2travel84

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Pros: We took our Travel Reward Points our energy company provided us for paying our utility bill, ambitvip.com and redeemed them to go on vacation in Puerto Rico. We upgraded and rented a suite at the Condado Lagoon Villas rooms 7821-7820 & 7819. What a view! on the 8th Floor

The pool was beautiful and the private beach was incredible. The boys loved the trip.

The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the climate was controlled by a great central air system that caused you to use a down comforter.

Not one mosquito bite!

Cons: Food is expensive for the average person or family. The kids loved Subways down the street so we saved about 50 per lunch a few times.

The little grocery stores cater to the local drunkerds and you will not find a large box of cereal and there were no snacks available worth spending money on. The Japanese Restuarant around the corner from the hotel was average. Nothing special.

Old San Juan is 1.5 miles aways... enjoy the food!

Room Tip: We stayed in a lagoon,ocean view suite by upgrading. Well worth the extra few dollars. See the pictu...
2  Thank Ralph I

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I booked a room at the Caribe Hilton on my way through San Juan. I only stayed one night and I booked a King room with a water view, but ended up the Lagoon villas so my view was the Lagoon and the hotels across the lagoon. The rooms are noisy, and I don't know why hotels in HOT climates only provide down comforters! It just seems absurd! And for over $300 a night, why would they charge you a $36 'resort fee' in addition - I wasn't told that when I booked the room.

The hotel is in need of sprucing up - there was a light missing off my wall and just the wires hanging there. I thought the place had a lot of closets, but three were locked are conditioning closets or something - very strange.

The hall was very noisy - you can hear everyone coming and going.

I would not stay there again unless I was at a conference (there were at least two going on while I was there).

Room Tip: Make sure the water view is not the lagoon!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your input and apologize you were disappointed in your stay.

We work hard to ensure our guests are happy and enjoying their stay. I do not have any report on a room without a lamp with wires hanging, yet will investigate and correct immediately. We do hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at Condado Lagoon Villas one night before leaving for a cruise. The room was OK, our 'ocean view' room consisted of looking at a dumpster and a fort (it was kind of neat). The balcony was small and the room had a funky damp odor. Beds were comfortable, internet worked well, and the bathroom was gorgeous. It's connected to the Caribe which is where all of the amentities (big infinity pool and hot tubs, access to the beach, restaurants, etc.) and it was a short walk through a nice little garden area with swans, turtles and even a couple chickens. So, I have mixed feelings about this place.

Room Tip: Make sure the room really has a clear ocean view.
1  Thank WaterfallsLover

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We take your comments seriously and do share with all parties involved. We hope to see you back in the near future.