“Love the ambiance for Ice Cream & more...”

Ben & Jerry's Old San Juan
Ranked #81 of 1,045 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Pizza, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Old San Juan can be very hot and we have found this oasis to have some ice cream. It is very entertaining, while having a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream you can look at the art in the store and cool off in air conditioning. If you need a break from all that shopping this is a great relax cool place to do so.

There are newer reviews for Ben & Jerry's Old San Juan

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Can't go wrong with this cute ice cream parlor full of delicious B&J. Well located if staying at El Convento!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

While visiting PR I was walking the streets of Old San Juan hungry, tired and a bit parched from the heat. Luckily I stumbled upon Ben&Jerry's - Great Air Conditioning; Delicious Food (I had the hummus sandwich); Friendly Staff; and of course the Ice Cream was Tops!!! It was the perfect place to cool off and recharge... Highly Recommended...

Located on the corner of Calle Christo and Calle Sol.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Came to this Ben and Jerry's one evening a few months back with a friend. Had a burger and ice cream... both were great! The staff was very friendly and attentive, and they had a disco theme night going which was a lot of fun. Had a good time, nice place to stop over in Old San Juan.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

First of all, it's not easy to find, grungy old door with a sign on the wall next to it. you walk in to a small area with seating for maybe 10 or 12. Small ice cream selection. but the worst was the service. 4 or 5 "employees" wandering around behind the counter, bumping into each other, one of them stuffing French fries in her face. I'm the only person at the counter and I thought I would see how long it would take for someone to ask me if they could help. After 5 minutes, I had to ask. I wanted a malted and they started making a mocha, when I got them to understand what I wanted they poked around in some canisters on the back counter and said they didn't have any malt. I settled for a milkshake and left. This place is blocks from anything else and definitely not worth the walk.

benandjerryspr, Owner at Ben & Jerry's Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Duane B.
Thank you for taking the time to review Ben & Jerry's Old San Juan. I am sorry you didn't find the charm in the ancient city; Our building is one of the oldest & historically significant on Cristo Street. Our shop is cozy, however, we have 16 chairs, 12 stools, & the entire perimeter of the store is lined with built in booth style benches, providing seating for at least 20 more. Again, cozy, typical of most city restaurants. We offer 24 super premium Ben & Jerry's flavors in the dip cases, as well a multitude more available in pints. Our ice cream selection boasts at least 40 different flavors on any given day. As for your experience, I will note it is strictly prohibited for employees to eat behind the counter. We do not serve fries in this location, & upon speaking with our team we confirmed that this employee was on break. We reminded the entire team of our goals in terms of customer service as well as our rules in an effort to avoid this type of experience in the future, so, Thank you! In terms of the "malted", we have an unbelievably hard time sourcing malt powder on the island. However, I will mention that Puerto Rico's primary language is Spanish & while most locals are bilingual, some colloquialisms such as "malted" can understandably get lost in translation. Again, I apologize that your experience was not of the euphoric nature we aim to deliver.
-Michelle