“Great for lunch on a hot afternoon”
Review of Cafe La Princesa - CLOSED

Cafe La Princesa
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The restaurant:Open since 1998, Café La Princesa offers its clients an experience for the five senses. Our dishes are prepared and serve by a professional, attentive and hospitable team. The restaurant is located in a unique space: a beautiful garden protected by an immense, full of history, colonial wall. Menu Compromised with local agriculture and the wish of honoring Puerto Rican food in Café La Princesa we prepare the freshest ingredients with love and an impeccable presentation in each one of our dishes. Hours ScheduleLunchMonday to Friday 11:00am – 3:00Sunday 2:00pm- 5:00pmDinnerTuesday to Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pmSaturday 6:00pm-12:00MSunday 5:00pm-10:00pmLocationCafé La Princesa is located in Paseo de la Princesa in Old San Juan next to the Tourism Company.Parking:Conveniently, we are located right across from La Puntilla public parking. ReservationsWe suggest making reservations.In any case, the Café welcomes guests on a walk-in, first-come-first-served basis.
Norwich
“Great for lunch on a hot afternoon”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is probably the one restaurant I always try and visit on my trips to San Juan. I will admit that on none of the 7 or 8 times that I have eaten here have I actually got as far as the main course. The appetizers are just so good. Basically the same as you get in most Puerto Rican restaurants but with a twist of their own that makes a refreshing change. My wife and I usually fill up on these then cannot eat any more. They also do their own designed cocktails which are fun and quite tasty.
However, the main reason why we love this place is its location. It is outside but under trees and cover which makes the place a cool place to sit on a hot afternoon. We have stayed hours in the past having some drinks, then appetizers then some more drinks and them more appetizers , and then ..... If you are lucky then there will be a live salsa band and the whole place lights up.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank The_Healthy_Prof

Hartford, Connecticut
“When we stop here, I feel like La Princesa!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Cafe La Princesa remains one of our fav. places in San Juan. The atmosphere can't be beat. If you visit at night-time, you will be serenaded by El Coqui! It's very romantic and the staff are very friendly. For our last visit we enjoyed shrimp with orange sauce and a variety of Puerto Rican tappas. Very, very tasty!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank jmc_hartford
Dallas, Texas
“Romantic”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Location provides for a romantic dinner, service is average but enjoyable. My wife ordered the veggie stuffed chicken breast and loved it, I ordered the Churrasco steak in Rioja and was outstanding. Prices are moderate specially being in touristy area. After dinner you walk beautiful Old San Juan, score!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank taino55
Kennewick, Washington
“Great Ambiance but average food”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stopped at this restaurant the night before while on a walking food tour of Old San Juan. It has a great atmosphere and look. We decided to have dinner here the following evening which was our last night in P.R. We made reservations for 7:30 the next night. We arrived early and we were seated with no problems even though there was a big music festival going on in the plaza. Overall the food was average compared to other places we had eaten at in S.J but it was still good. The Flan (sp?) was fantastic.
The service was good but we really never knew who our main server was. We had one person take our order, someone else brought drinks, another brought the food etc. but overall very attentive. In the states one might consider the service to be slow, but in P.R. this just seemed to be the norm so expect to take a little while to dine, but hey you’re on a tropical island, relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
A couple of pointers: This is an open air restaurant with lots of vegetation, thus this means some bugs. Use some insect repellent, mainly on your feet and legs. I got a few bites. Bring hand sanitizer. My wife used the restroom and she said it was less than ideal and no soap. My understanding from other R.R. we used this is normal. In the evenings the wind tends to die down and it can get warm and humid. I brought a small towel with me while touring S.J and it came in very handy to wipe away the sweat.
If you order water, it will be in a bottle which is good but you pay for it.
Overall it was a good meal but we did dine at other places that in my opinion were better.

• Visited September 2013
Columbia, Maryland
“Send in a reservation and...”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Sent in a reservation in the morning before a day at the beach. Got to the restaurant at 7 PM for dinner and they informed us they were closed for a wedding. Never responded and caused great inconvenience. If you go make sure they can seat you is my recommendation.

• Visited September 2013