“Great insight on food history and culture”

Flavors of San Juan Food and Culture Tours
Old San Juan Food Tour
Ranked #1 of 7 Food & Drink in San Juan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are the ORIGINAL walking food tour company of Puerto Rico (founded in 2009). What's that? Our food tours combine Puerto Rico's unique history and cuisine in the beautiful setting of historic Old San Juan. Featured as a top tour option on CNN, BBC, Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine, USA Today, Frommers, Lonely Planet and more, Flavors of San Juan Food and Culture Tours offers delicious 1-3 hour food tasting events focused solely in historic San Juan, Puerto Rico (Old San Juan). Leave your tourist fanny pack at home and awaken the traveler inside! Our guided food tours include mouth-watering food samples (enough for most to feel full afterwards) showing off the diversity of Puerto Rican "comida criolla" or local cuisine. We are so much more than rice and beans! Come learn our rich history, treasured architecture and hidden off the beaten path restaurants you don't want to miss. Our food tour offerings depart daily at 10am, 3pm, 5pm and 6pm.
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great insight on food history and culture”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Harim was our most knowledgeable guide who answered every question asked and also accommodated every request. He was able to answer all our questions on food, history, art and even current events. I took my 2 daughters (10 and 13) on this tour. Both give this tour a thumbs up.

Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Must-do in San Juan”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was looking for a fun way to explore Old San Juan on foot and took the lunch tour. The food was delicious - with a few fun surprises along the way - the pace was relaxed and our guide Hiram provided lots of interesting information. I definitely recommend it.

3 attraction reviews
“A Wonderful Find!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I booked this tour for myself and two young teenage girls (ages 13 and 14). I was nervous that the girls would not enjoy the tour or the food because they are picky eaters. Happily, they enjoyed it as much as I did! The restaurants where we were served drinks gave the girls "virgin" versions and they loved it!! My daughter's new favorite drink is a virgin mojito.

The four restaurants we stopped at were EXCELLENT: two were restaurants I had wanted to try (Carli's and El Convento). The food was fantastic! The walking tour in between food stops was extremely interesting and informative. Hiram, our tour guide, has a wealth of Puerto Rican history and lore.

There were seven in our group including the three of us. It was the perfect group size and everyone had a great time.

A wonderful night!

Asheville, North Carolina
“Must-Do!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was looking for an acitivity to do in Old San Juan with our 2 teenagers that would be educational and fun. This tour fit the bill! Not only did we get a walking tour of the area that explained the history, architecture, and culture of OSJ, but we also got to taste some amazing local cuisine! The highlight of the tour was learning from Fausto how to make (and enjoy) a fresh mojito! Fausto is a classic bartender and a true artist! Our teenagers enjoyed their 'virgin' mojitos and pina coladas!

Our guide, Hiram, was so knowledgable about the history and culture of the area and made the walking tour very educational and enjoyable. I would highly recommend this tour as a Must-Do in OSJ!

Maryland, United States
“A great introduction to the culture of Old San Juan (& a yummy dinner!!)”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I went on the signature dinner tour guided by Hiram. The entire experience exceeded our expectations. The food and drinks were authentic and delicious. The walk through the city was beautiful and informational. One of the highlights of the tour was our stroll down Paseo de la Princesa-it was a Sunday night so the street was packed with locals dancing-food and craft vendors-music-etc. Hiram allowed us to stop and browse some of the vendor booths and try some of the food/drink being sold (as if we needed anything else to eat!). He never showed concern that the tour was getting off schedule or taking too long and genuinely wanted to ensure everyone was enjoying themselves. Hiram even took my husband on a slight detour to allow him to by some beer at Old Harbor Brewery!

We spent the day after the tour exploring more of Old San Juan and visiting El Morro. The tour gave us ideas of additional restaurants to try, stores to stop in, and made navigating the city much easier.

The streets are mostly cobblestone and you walk quite a bit at a leisurely pace-so wear comfortable shoes! The restaurants provide water with every meal and each stop has a restroom for use. Our tour lasted about 4 hours, but I think the length of the tour can depend on the group to some extent. Bring a camera to capture some of the architecture, artwork, and unique trees/plants you will pass along the way and tip for the guide-I think you will find they deserve it!!

We are already planning our next trip to San Juan and will definitely be booking at least 1 (hopefully 2!) Flavors tours during the trip.