“Not just a food tour”

Old San Juan Food Tour
Ranked #1 of 7 Food & Drink in San Juan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are the ORIGINAL walking food tour company of Puerto Rico (founded in 2009). What's that? Our food tours combine Puerto Rico's unique history and cuisine in the beautiful setting of historic Old San Juan. Featured as a top tour option on CNN, BBC, Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine, USA Today, Frommers, Lonely Planet and more, Flavors of San Juan Food and Culture Tours offers delicious 1-3 hour food tasting events focused solely in historic San Juan, Puerto Rico (Old San Juan). Leave your tourist fanny pack at home and awaken the traveler inside! Our guided food tours include mouth-watering food samples (enough for most to feel full afterwards) showing off the diversity of Puerto Rican "comida criolla" or local cuisine. We are so much more than rice and beans! Come learn our rich history, treasured architecture and hidden off the beaten path restaurants you don't want to miss. Our food tour offerings depart daily at 10am and 3pm.
High Point, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not just a food tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Hiram did an excellent job of leading us from one restaurant to another and in-between gave us some historical facts about the particular areas we were walking thru. We did not feel rushed at all, eating at each of the 4 restaurants picked, from appetizer to desert. Overall the food choices were excellent and we felt welcomed at each location, not just another tour group. Definitely will keep the list of restaurants to go back to if and when we are able to visit San Juan again or do the tour again.

Terryville, Connecticut
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lots of history include with this tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

It was easy to find our group in the Plaza des Armes. Mikol was our guide and she was fantastic. Very knowledgeable about the history and the city.

There is a decent amount of walking on this tour. First stop was for chicharones de pollo and a piña coloda. Delicious chicken and the piña coloda was gone way too quickly. Second stop was at Carlis for mojitos and risotto with pumpkin and shrimp. The mojito presentation was great to watch and they tasted amazing! We went back after the tour for another! Third stop Rosa de Triana for mofongo and rice and beans. Great atmosphere. Part of the restaurant was built in an underground tunnel. There is also an outside area. Since the restaurant was right down the streets from our hotel, we stopped by the next night for dinner. Last stop was for cafe con leche and bread pudding. We love the coffee in Puerto Rico and this was a great example. The bread pudding is different than any we ever had but very good.

Would definitely recommend this tour to anyone looking for a taste so San Juan with a side of history. On a side note, I felt that the food was plenty, not overly filling. My husband is a bigger guy and he was not filled up at all. Everything we ate was great tasting. A spectacular example of what Puerto Rico has to offer.

Columbia, MD
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent private tour, wonderful food and tour guide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a great activity for a groups of friends! I was in Puerto Rico with a group of 7 ladies (all in our 30's) for a Bachelorette Party. For our last night we decided to do a private restaurant/dinner tour by Flavors of San Juan. It was an awesome evening, we only wish we had done it earlier in our trip. Flavors takes you to so many great places, and they can recommend a ton of other must-eat restaurants in the area. Our tour guide met us on time and gave us an overview of the plan, then we were on our way. There was a little bit of walking between stops, but nothing too far...probably 10-15 minutes at a time, at a pretty slow pace. I would recommend comfortable sandals. Our guide Mikol was wonderful, she was easy to talk to and has so much knowledge to share. Along the way she talked to us about the history of San Juan and Puerto Rico, and took us to 4 amazing restaurants that we would never have found on our own. Our group had several food restrictions (some seafood allergies, a vegetarian, and a couple gluten-free ladies) but Flavors took care of us without hesitation or any problems. They pre-plan all the stops and menu choices and made sure that each person had something wonderful to enjoy. During the planning process Flavors of San Juan was extremely helpful and provided great communication.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Wonderful Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I really enjoyed the walking tour as it combines learning and eating, two of my favorite things! A friend recommended this tour and I was not disappointed. The tour guide was knowledgeable not just about the "set points" to describe but also about general questions about the island, the history, and the culture. The price was very reasonable and I would definitely do this again- there was so much to learn and see I am sure I missed a lot!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Tour...with Food - Need I Say More :) A must do in PR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

When we travel, my wife and I love to go on the local tours, and above all, eat the local dishes. This tour provided us both, and in the limited time we had in Old San Juan, we could not have asked for more. The tour was easy to book (I booked from my smartphone), the starting location was easy to find, as was our phenomenal tour guide, Mikol. The tour offered a great combination of generous (and delicious) food portions at wonderful restaurants, and a nice historic stroll about Old San Juan. This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to Puerto Rico, and not only would I recommend it, I would definitely do it again!

Visited January 2013