“Didn't expect much didn't get much”
Review of Hotel Milano

Hotel Milano
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Let's talk expectations. This is not a fancy hotel by any stretch of the word but it serves two purposes: Its in Old San Juan and its cheap. The Sheraton is much nicer but, if you're like us, you may find it much more expensive the night before a cruise. From the reviews and pictures we knew the rooms would be tiny with few to no windows. And that is exactly what we got. On the positive side it made our cruise cabin seem bigger.

The rooms are decently clean but not the 'very clean' that I have seen other people claim. There was some dirt on the ill fitting ceiling tiles and the bathroom could certainly use a good grout scrubbing. I've seen worse but I've certainly seen better

The breakfast is sparse but cheap so again its about expectations. Don't expect a lot of food options if you aren't paying a lot. We found it to be sufficient for the price.

The condition of the room was a bit shoddy. Other than the ill fitting ceiling I noticed the outlet covers were quite loose and it was easy to move the entire electrical box around by wiggling a plugged in cord. It seems the original AC, which was still wall mounted, no longer functioned so a wall unit was installed. A bit loud but it did a great job keeping the room cool. The main areas did seem better maintained.

The location was fantastic and we found everything in Old San Juan to be in easy walking distance. This was a great benefit to us. Its also all down hill to the cruise port which is nice when rolling your luggage along

We also found the staff to be very polite and helpful.

The location and price compared to the near by alternatives made this an acceptable choice and I would stay here again. However, if some of their competitors were available at similar price points I would likely stay there instead.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matt B

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. I really enjoyed my stay in Old San Juan and at Hotel Milano. The staff and owner were available and helpful. The hotel was conveniently located near a public parking garage. I appreciated the open air terrace for a simple breakfast, fresh fruit, and coffee before setting out for a walk about in Old San Juan. When the heat of day built, it was great to head back to Hotel Milano for a quick siesta and shower, then out to enjoy the sunset. Ask the owner about his favorite restaurant for lunch. I felt that the Hotel Milano is a good value and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay attention to the rooms you select and what they offer. Note city regulations prohibit buildings...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank JamesSantiago2014
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The best part of this hotel is breakfast on the roof. Other than that, a room at the Sheraton would probably be better and they are about the same price.

We stayed here because the first hotel we booked was closed when we arrived. Maybe they have better rooms that the one we stayed in, but the overall appearance of the interior of the hotel was a bit shabby and unkempt.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2014

So far the best hotel I've even stayed while in Old San Juan. If you are looking for a family hotel this is the one. Staff very friendly and respectful. Rooms are clean, mattress is good, bathrooms are clean. Great full continental breakfast with a lot of options of fruits. Location is a plus if you are looking for a place to stay that has tons of entertainment options for you to chose from. The price is very affordable and the hotel owner is always around if you need something.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank LillyPzen
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We love being in Viejo San Juan where we can walk to good restaurants and see a beautiful part of San Juan at our leisure. Hotel Milano again was our choice and we love the convenience, the good beds and quiet rooms. The reasonable breakfast is nice to have available too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caribbeanfanatic
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was the second time my daughter and I have stayed at the Milano, and were very pleased. The staff was courteous, the rooms very clean, the temperature of the room was consistently cool, the beds were comfortable, the room was quiet, and the location can't be beat, being right in the middle of Old San Juan. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert F
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The hotel is very clean and staff were ok. Location was good for moving around OSJ. WE booked a junior room with a double bed. I did not expect for that price, I would get a tiny room with no windows. It was scary for me! Isn't there some type of Fire Code that requires a secondary exit from the room. If something had happened we would have been trapped there. We could not even open up a full size suitcase flat. I went down to the front desk to ask for a change but the staff member said that most of the rooms had no windows and he could offer nothing else. Dont know exactly what that mean, other types of rooms or just the type I booked? We have stayed in much, much better hotels for less money. Like I said to my husband, even in a jail cell you can see outside. We just deposited our suitcases in the room and left, came back just in time to sleep and left as soon as the time said it was morning, remember we could not see outside so the room was totally dark. Did not sleep very well because I only kept thinking that if there was a fire we would be trapped. Only 1 pillow each which was very flat and uncomfortable. Would not recommend this hotel for the room booked.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
juansan, Owner at Hotel Milano, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Room Type: Junior Room 1 Full Bed
No view, rear side of the building. Approximate 190 square feet. That is the description is posted everywhere about the room you rented so you knew all that by the time you made the reservation and it is not a hole like you mentioned it is a very economical room for people don't want to spend much and they are the first to go in the house and we have received very few complaints from the hundreds of people have rented it through the years we have been in business, hope that next time you just choose another kind of room so you will be pleased to be with us, thank you, Juan