“A Place in Old San Juan”
Review of Hotel Milano

Hotel Milano
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“A Place in Old San Juan”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Looking for a central place in Old San Juan we found the Hotel Milano. It was basic but the staff was nice enough. The great thing about the place is the location - right in the center of Old San Juan - within walking distance of everything. The room was clean but a little run down. We traveled in Oct 2011.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Mayaguez
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed at The Hotel Milano once again for business and there is again...no doubt in my mind that the team at this jewel in Old San Juan is there to make your stay as care free as possible. From Mr. Colón at the breakfast terrace upstairs in the morning to Rafael at the front desk which made it easy for me to find a rental at Target. Great Wifi service even in the interior room where I was staying in and no exterior noises from the constant action on the street at night. Thank you again! ;)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of Old San Juan and has great restaurants and attractions within walking distance. I highly recommend this hotel if you're interested in a hotel that wont break the bank.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've got mixed feelings about Hotel Milano.

The good: It is in a really great location in Old San Juan--right in the middle of everything, and I was in the back on the 5th floor, so didn't have street noise in my room. The night desk guy, Raphael, was helpful in recommending restaurants and was also just a nice guy to chat with. Also, the gentleman who manages the breakfast upstairs was very nice and helpful--I think his name was Juan.

The bad: The first thing when I went into the room, I opened my closet door to put in my suitcase. Two cockroaches went scurrying up the wall. The next thing I noticed is that my "room with windows" actually only had a couple of maybe 10 inch x 10 inch squares on the wall, very high up by the ceiling--they didn't appear to be clear glass--perhaps frosted class. So you could not actually see outside from the room, though it did let a small amount of light in. Additionally, the wall with the "windows" was discolored--it looked like water damage, though I did not observe an active leak.

Getting back to the roaches... Right away, I told the night desk person who said he would inform the day people. The next morning, I went down and spoke with Hiram, the day manager. I asked that they set roach baits rather than spray all around the room since it is both more effective to use baits, and because spraying randomly around the room is not a healthy thing for humans staying in the room. He said no problem and they would set baits. No baits showed up that day or the next day. Meanwhile, I had killed about 8-10 BABY ROACHES in my room in that time. Clearly they were multiplying in the walls. I found baby roaches in the closet, multiple places in the bathroom, and on the nightstand right next to the bed.

I again spoke to Hiram a couple days after I made the initial request to inform him I had just killed 3 baby roaches and he told me:
1. Don't kill them because if I do, there is no evidence that there are roaches in my room. (Um, I showed him a photo of one I took with my cell phone--not good enough proof?)
2. He said "nobody else has roaches in their room."
3. He said "housekeeping didn't see any roaches, and that is why they hadn't laid baits".
4. Finally, he said "It is not my duty to take care of this."

"NOT HIS DUTY!" He is the only person available for guests to talk to! At that point, I said, "OK, give me the contact information for the owner so I can let him know about the problem and ask him what can be done about the roaches." At that point, he called a maintenance guy down who went out and purchased baits. Finally. He did also offer to allow me to switch rooms, but with an infestation like that in the building, I didn't think it would matter what room I was in.

I am not squeamish about insects, and I know in cities, roach infestations occur. But I don't want to end up with them hitching a ride in my luggage, either. I don't hold the existence of roaches in the hotel against them, but I do believe it was handled inappropriately. Hiram is the only person available to talk to, and he seems to, at best, not want to expend energy assuring a comfortable stay for guests, and at worst, seems to have an active disdain toward people, in general.

If I were to stay in Old San Juan again, I would like to stay in thie same general area, but I would choose one of the other hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
juansan, Owner at Hotel Milano, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear lady, if you had moved the first day to another room as we offered, you would had avoided all that trouble and we could fallow the only logical thing to do, fumigate the room...but you insisted every day about staying there, we have not had this kind of incident for many years due to our constant preventive program as anybody can see in all the hundreds of positive reviews that have been posted here, so to call this hotel a " roach motel" is mean and undeserved, but we wish you good luck anyway.
Chicago
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had one night in San Juan and wanted to spend it in OSJ and found this little hotel that could it be more conveniently located. In the heart of OSJ, where you can walk to everything and feel safe and secure. It's an old hotel, rooms are small, but clean...It could use a bit of an update, but for one night, just a place to sleep, with a nice and friendly staff and reasonably priced room....I would say it was perfect. Down the street from a few really great places to eat as well, the Parrot room and Marmalade.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Spring, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have been traveling to Puerto Rico for the past 5 years on business and have always stayed in the major hotels in the Condado area. My last trip coincided with the Baseball Championships and the majors were booked. I have never stayed in Old San Juan (I mean right by Fortaleza, the Governor's mansion, etc.). I was pleasantly surprised at the experience. The Hotel Milano is very much Old San Juan. I really felt I was in San Juan. The room was nice, shower was hot, and the restaurant on the top floor for breakfast was nice. Everyone was very nice at the hotel, very much 'Puerto Rico'. If you must stay at the majors along the beach in order to feel pampered, go ahead. If you want to be in the middle of Old San Juan and experience the cobblestone streets and genuine feel of the city, Hotel Milano is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nebraska
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First off, we found the hotel staff to be fine. The gentleman in charge of the continental breakfast was pleasant and helpful. Food was fine, typical continental breakfast fare of self serve juices, fruits, pastries, etc. Palatable for sure, especially when you could fill up for $5.35. Likely the cheapest meal you will purchase on the island!

Rooms were outdated, but we don't care. I'm only sleeping there in the dark anyhow.

The thing that drove me absolutely crazy was the loud partying and music that went on till at least 3 AM. Got a terrible night's sleep. Our AC was kinda noisy and didn't circulate air the best.

If I got a cheap rate, I would probably stay again. If you are shopping for luxury, forget it. If you want an OK place to sleep, this would work. I ink the rate we paid of over $200 was pretty steep for what we got. I slept in a hut in the jungle without electricity for a week and had a better value for my money - and slept better.

Room Tip: Try to ask about a room that isn't right on the street. I don't know if they have that, but...