“Beach front, friendly staff, perfect stay!”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I went down with 2 girlfriends and we had such a fantastic time. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable however we did wish for temperature control at night because the AC was on too high. If your intent is to spend the majority of your time on the beach this place is perfect. You walk down the back steps directly on to the beach where they provide chairs and umbrellas free of charge. We spent a lot of time at the beach front bar sipping on reasonably priced drinks and talking with the locals and other hotel patrons. The whole place has a very good friendly vibe. If I return to PR I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank megleebak

Reviewed April 11, 2010

I stayed two nights here after "roughing it" in Old San Juan for four nights. It's right in the middle of all the big hotels on Ashford Avenue and restaurants/shopping/Walgreens was not too far away. It is smack dab on the beach and the people at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. I asked for, and received a renovated room (see pictures) and it was a very comfortable place to sleep. I did have an issue with the maid not replacing the towels she took and I was afraid it was going to be an issue when I checked out at 6am...but it was not.

That being said, it didn't have a lot of ambiance. The bar downstairs played the WORST music-I'm talking Britney Spears/MTV stuff and I would have preferred some salsa...especially since I was in PR. The music alone kept me from hanging out at the bar.

As other reviewers mentioned, it is ground zero for Condado gay beach culture and I would have preferred not to see young, gay Puerto Rican men "cruising" the strip looking for love/cash. There is an abandoned building right next door and evidently things get steamy on the beach next door after hours. I don't write this to scare anyone away...as it wasn't a safety issue and as a female traveling alone I didn't feel unsafe, just know what's going on around you. I met a local, very friendly drug dealer right outside the hotel as well, too bad I'm not into drugs.

I won't likely stay here again, though this has less to do with the hotel and more to do with the area. It didn't have the character that Old San Juan did...depends on what you're looking for. There wasn't enough opportunity for people watching or going out for this solo traveler, but it should suit couples/families just fine!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank MichelleN4
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I went to this hotel with three friends for a short term stay of 3 nights/4 days. The hotel was right on the beach, quiet, and conveniently located amongst tons of cute restaurants and boutiques in Condado. They offered on beach bar service, chairs/umbrellas etc, free internet access (that was spotty on a few of the days) and a friendly/helpful/flexible staff. Although they didn't have a workout room, there was a fitness center right at the end of the street that offered 15 dollar day passes.

The hotels on either side were no longer in use and there was construction going on down the street, but it was not noisy and it appeared that everywhere in Condado construction was going on anyway.

There was also a convenient local bus route right along the outer road that took us to Old San Juan in around 20 minutes.

If you want american style breakfast you may have to head to one of the american chains, but if you're adventurous you can also piece together a breakfast from the closeby grocery store.

lastly, as a vegetarian I was nervous that the restaurants in the area would not have options for me, but they did and were very accomodating to a party that included a vegetarian(myself) someone with a nut allergy and someone with an allergy to whitefish!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank BklynMJ
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The Atlantic Beach Hotel at one point was probably a gay hot spot for a cheap, no frills hotel on the beach, conveniently located to restaurants and the bus line. Unfortunately, like so many successful gay bars and establishments, the owners pocket the profits and put off any improvements as long as possible. This hotel is now in the process of renovating the rooms and their apartment building, where i stayed. The desk staff was helpful and courteous. The renovation is superficial. One of my rooms had a contemporary new bed and attractive bedspread, but the other rooms looked like leftovers from the 60s in a floral pattern. The water pressure was terrible. Takes a long time for hot water to get to the third floor.They put in a new granite counter tops, but didn't have it sealed and any moisture at all left big spots until it evaporated. Wait until someone spills some wine or suntan oil and it will be there forever. The exterior of the hotel is chipping off. The Wi Fi only works in the lobby. None is available even for pay in the room. The bar is boring. The beach during the week (high season at the end of February) never had more than 15 people, and on the weekend had only 25: and most on the weekend were not gay. It's ok if you are on a low budget, but there are better places to stay if you can afford it.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank DrBStL
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Hello All,

If your looking for a great hotel, beach, staff and location? This is it; me and my partner stayed at the Atlantic Beach Hotel for a week and had a great time! The staff went well and beyond to attend to all my needs.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Washington_DCDcdan
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This Condado Beach Hotel was loaded with warm hospitality. The staff was excellent in making this solo traveler feel welcome. The staff was so friendly and willing to answer all my questions, such as giving me directions to cultural events and sightseeing. From this area it was easy to catch buses to Old San Juan, the art museums and many other places of interest. The room was very comfortable and the housekeeing staff did a wonderful job of refreshing my room daily without inconvenience.
It really was the perfect location to spend time on the beach. It was also located near the tourist area where you could walk to several nice restaurants and plenty of shopping.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Butterflyclub
Reviewed March 22, 2010

When we first drove up I was a little put off by all the graffiti on the buildings. My husband and I both thought the hotel looked a little run down and dirty. The lobby was very old looking. We arrived early as we just got off of the cruise ship. We had A LOT of luggage including valuable souvenirs we had purchased as well as a laptop computer. We were told our room would not be ready til around 3 - which was completely understandable. The gentleman told us they would hold our luggage and put tags on it. We were grateful. My husband helped him move our things into a back room which did not seem very secure. So my husband asked "is our stuff safe here" to which the man replied "if not you can take it with you!" We were just looking for a little reassurance! He could have just assured us that it was secure! Rude! The elevator really, really needed to be wiped down! I don't even mind so much how old it was -- it was dirty and it smelled like mildew! The halls upstairs looked ok, I was hopeful and having seen the photos on their website, I just knew our room would be nice -- NOT! The only thing similar to the photos were the white linens and the bathroom looked pretty updated, although the shower looked dirty! I was SO disappointed with the room! The hotel website DID NOT mention that they were in the process of updating -- I certainly would have requested one of those rooms and my review would be MUCH better! Room 301 - The lamp shades were water warped, TV was tiny with no remote, there was no AC control (very hot room, we had to open the door for a while just to get some air circulation from the hallway), towel had questionable stains, table needed to be cleaned. We went to Walgreen's and bought LYSOL! Sprayed everything in the room and the elevator and the doors! We were woken up several times during the night because of the partying going on just below our window in the patio bar but especially because of the LOUD guests in the hallways. This was a very noisy place.
You can not swim in the water behind this hotel because there are big rocks, you have to walk down to other hotels and even at that there are signs warning you not to go into the water due to strong current. If you have kids, especially BE AWARE of this -- my husband is a very tall and strong man and the currents pulled him out with ease!
As far as the comments I've read about prostitution as well homosexuals; There were a lot of questionable looking men right outside the door but I'm pretty sure that's a public area so I can't necessarily blame the hotel for that, if they were prostitutes even. However we made the decision not to be out at night as I did not feel safe! But during the day we liked it! Shopping was good, restaurants, etc. We figured out that this was a place where gays frequented and at first it was awkward because we're not "urban" people so we're rarely around that. But it didn't bother us at all, everyone seemed to mind their own business!
Also the hotel charged us a fifty dollar deposit in addition to the night's rate which they did not tell us about. I didn't like that. The gentleman that worked the desk in the evening hours, older with glasses, used to be in the Navy - he was great, very nice, always smiling told us about the remodeling which made a lot of sense to us! He made sure I was able to connect to the internet with my computer!
To the management/owner of the hotel I would like to say to you that instead of always making excuses for the things people did not like at your property, If you would just be forthcoming with things and at least consider making changes and stop blaming your guests for the mistakes, I think it would make your property a lot better.
I can tell you that by the time we left, we agreed that we didn't hate it but we definitely would never go back, unfortunately!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple