“Hotel did not refund my deposit”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
New York, NY
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I had a reservation for a two week say at the hotel. I heard of a government crisis and did not feel comfortable going to Puerto Rico at that time. I called the hotel about 10 days before to cancel my reservation. The hotel refused to refund me my two day deposit. They were not courteous to me or cooperative. I have been going to the hotel for years and would have gladly put my deposit towards a future day. The refused and were very nasty. Now I now why this hotel has so many negative reviews.

Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 3, 2006

In responce to the reviewers negative comments made against the Atlantic Beach Hotel, we would like to clarify our Hotels Cancellation Policy, which is as follows.

Any Guest who wishes to Cancel or reschdule a room reservation which was booked through our automated internet reservation system must do so by notifying the Hotel in writing no less than seven days prior to their schduled arrival date in order that a full deposit refund can be issued.

However, in all fairness to our Guest, it is also our policy for situations which may occur that are verifiable beyond our Guest control, such as the one described by this Tripadvisor reviewer, we will try to be extremely flexible by offering a full or partial room deposit refund or a credit toward a future stay at our Hotel.

Furthermore, during the reviewers dates in questions we did receive other communications from concerned Guest who had questions about the pending partial goverment shut down which had in fact been highly overstated in the media.

We would also like to add that we received No written Cancellations nor request for rebookings from any of our Guest during the time period mentioned by the Tripadvisor reviewer.

We always value our returning Guest and urge the Tripadvisor reviewer or any other interested persons to contact us in order that we may correct any unfortunate misgivings they may have with their Reservation or our Hotels Cancellation Policy.

Sincerely;
Atlantic Beach Hotel Management

Bronx
Reviewed May 6, 2006

I wont say this was an excellent hotel but I enjoy my stay for six days with my partner. Everything was convinent for us, we both loved the beach and the good service they provided. Just one bit problem and that was it was no refergerator in the room we were in which i believe was the Standard room but not much I can complain for good price.

Stayed: April 2006
37  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 28, 2006

We recently returned on 3/23/2006 from our fifth annual stay at the Atlantic Beach Hotel. Based on our past visits we have never understood some of the negative commente made about this hotel. We have always found more good points about this hotel than negative.

This year we were able to book our reservation directly thru their web site on their new reservations system which we found to be very quick and convenient. All of the rooms we have stayed in over the past 5 years have been absolutely fine with ample space and always very clean bathrooms with plenty of towels.

All of the staff is really very friendly and helpful and the service could not be faulted. The location is ideal and so close to everywhere that we have always wanted to go while in Puerto Rico. We look forward to our sixth visit next year, and we will continue to recommend the Atlantic Beach based on our past five stays.

43  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 28, 2006

I just returned from Puerto Rico and a 15 night stay at the Atlantic Beach Hotel. I have to admit to being worried about booking such a long stay at this hotel after a few of the negative reviews. But from the moment I arrived I knew it would be a great place to stay.

All of the employees and management made me feel right at home from the day I arrived to the day I departed. They were all so friendly and helpful, and couldn't do enough for me. The hotel's location is perfect with a good selection of restaurants close by.

The Atlantic Beach Bar was really HOT, and was always a great place for drinks and meeting locals. All in all, I had a very positive experience at the Atlantic Beach Hotel and have already booked my return trip for July 2006.

51  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2006

I stayed at the Atlantic Beach after staying at the Marriott down the beach and drinking at the Atlantic Beach bar for a couple of past visits. I finally decided to take a chance after the Marriott wanted $250 for a night. I was pleasantly surprise with the room and the value of the property. Don't get me wrong...it is basic accommodations by luxury standards and if you want the Ritz Carlton (at the $400 p/n price tag) it is down the road a few blocks.

I stayed on the 4th Floor in an ocean view room on the end. I usually stay in top suites at top hotels but for a few days at the beach and out of the cold of the northeast, how bad could it be. It wasn't bad at all. The room was clean and comfortable. I saw nothing that other claim. The water was hot in the shower (or though you did need to run it to get the water up to the top floor in the morning) and it was convenient to both Old San Juan and the trendier clubs. The bus stops a block away to you can get to Old San Juan or the Plazas des Americas very easy and cheap.

PROS: PRICE, friendly staff, convenient bar and beach, great breakfast on site

CONS: None really unless you're expecting the Ritz Carlton and in that case, have fun with the old people cause we'll be drinking on the beach.

I had a wonderful visit, drank my butt off at the bar, met some great people with whom I still stay in contact from my area and will be repeating the entire thing next November (if not sooner).

• Stayed: November 2005
57  Thank RainbowTrvlr
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I stayed solo at Atlantic beach for 8 days at the end of March, and had a great time. It may help to have a somewhat limited expectations. It's not the Marriott, which for me is a plus. It is a great location, on the beach, in the center of the Condado, lots of places to eat, shop, or hang out.
There are hot bars and dance clubs in Santerce, just up the hill,and the spectacular Old City a short cab ride away.
I had a room facing the ocean, (very clean) and really enjoyed that. The rooms are modest but comfortable. It's true that the airconditioning is cold and the only solution is to tape over the ducts but, so what.
I didn't care, as i was at the beach all day,
at the bar in the hotel for happy hour each night,
and otherwise with my friends out doing things.
Staff was really friendly and helpful, from the beach boys to the front desk, to the cool Jamaican woman who cooks breakfast.
Probably helped that the weather was perfect, clear
and 85 degrees and beach full of hot guys, but
that's really what i came for.
There's a great terrace on the 5th floor,
with a beautiful view, very private, very peaceful. check it out.

65  Thank adventurer searcher
Reviewed March 21, 2006

I would like to say its not as bad as the reviews make it to be. I hear people talking about bugs and the place not being clean. What lies! I saw cleaning peoples every day changing the sheets and cleaning the rooms. The staff was very helpful and kind. Yes its not a five star hotel so do don't expect it. I went with my partner and 2 other guys. We all would agree that it served its purpose for the 2 weeks that we were there. There could be improvements but you get what you pay for!

102  Thank Aleoop2113