“Dumpy, Run Down, Dirty - what a shame!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantic Beach Hotel

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
San Francisco, California
“Dumpy, Run Down, Dirty - what a shame!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2009

This place is kinda like an aging starlet who has lost her looks but keeps trying to party with the A list. I kind of don't get it. This place is in a GREAT location and has so much potential that I don't understand why the owner does not fix it up. On the good side, it's right on Condada Beach. You can walk to the waves in 15 seconds. And the air conditioning kept the place nice and cool. Maybe even too cool. But on the downside, where can I start? The paint is chipping/peeling, the it does not look like it has been redecorated since the late 50's, the window in my room was dirty, the carpets looked like they were about 25 years old, the plumbing was weak and made noises like it was struggling, the bathrrom was musty and had mildew. The TV did not work. It was not a hell hole but it was kind of dumpy. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lewisgm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
FT. LAUDERDALE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

i read all the reviews and thought how bad could this place be? nasty queens on the internet? fussy about everything?? im a seasoned traveler..high to low end depending on the city and my needs at the time.. but i have never scraped the bottom of the barrel until now!!.. really.. just about everything you read here is true..the hotels a dump..run down and rust everywhere.. tv didn"t work but fixed quickly.. hot water luke warm.. filthy floors ect..theair was fine on the second floor.. the staff however was awesome from the front desk to the bar.. so where did we go after paying $ 86.00 for this pit... 2 blks away to the holiday inn express wich is brand new..and average night 114,00 night.. fresh clean breakfast included.. and CENTRALLY LOCATED ALSO.. staff is awesome here.. and very very gay friendly.. down to the management!!.. questiions email me.. a ft. lauderdale traveler!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank CHALEA
South Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

This hotel is THE WORST hotel I have ever stayed at! I am a mariner and I have stayed at hotels all over the world on the company nickel so likewise, I don't see the greatest places when I travel for business but this place takes the cake! We stayed 6 days and had to change rooms 3 times due to malfunctioning AC equipment-they have some sort of funkadelic floor by floor system that was so choked up with lint that I could have written WASH ME on one of the walls in my room. The shower had black mold growing on the times, the towels-some provided where so thread bare that it looked like fishing net. The furniture has not been updated since the early 70's. This place needs to see the good side of a wrecking ball to put it out of it's misery. Either the hotel owner is waiting for a good offer from a property developer or there is something new in slumlord hotelier school! Really this place at 90 bucks a night is criminal in what they are trying to get away with. i will say that the people working there try and ave very polite and attentive-the beach bartenders in particular but if you have the choice and are on budget travel-try to spend a little extra somewhere else! The place is a mess and should have it's license revoked by the local hotel commission. I just read this flight attendent's review and am amazed at his take on the place-oh well-to each his own I guess!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank isail7c
the world
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

after reading all the disgusting and outrageous reviews here I postponed reserving a room until the morning I left for San Juan. I had not visited Puerto Rico before and did not want to go without a room reservation. I was prepared to either deal with it, find another bed or just fly out again! What I found amazed me, what is everyone complaining about?????
Ok, Condado beach is not ocean drive in south beach, nor is this is not a resort hotel. I found the hotel basic and cheap, but acceptable. The desk was very polite and helpful with local information and I was buzzed through the security door. I toured the other large hotels and casinos while I was there and all hotels have some sort of security keeping out non registered guests. I found the security reassuring.
The elevator was slightly nerve racking in its age and condition, but it functioned and I only used it to reach the 4th floor with my luggage, the stairs are a nice walk and I used them except for my departure with luggage 2 days later.
Room 407, top floor, one bed, ocean view.
Of course I was expecting a real dive and dirt hole, so when I opened the door I was crazy happy with what I found. Looked like homedepot had exploded in the room. Tile floor and bathroom, clean bright, and what a view. The windows opened and the ocean was an arms length away. I checked the room for dirt, rodents, bugs, no signs, not even dust. The room was spotless. I thought maybe I was staying at a different hotel than reviewed on tripadvisor?
I changed and went down to the desk, the clerk was really helpful about recommending food. Take a left out of hotel, a right onto the main road, after the burger chain there is a wonderful restaurant with takeout called pure and natural. Fresh juices and vegetarian friendly at an affordable price. While waiting for my order I walked the other direction to walgreens and bought water and nuts for my room.
During my stay I talked with locals, other guests, the front desk, and chamber maids. I had to see other rooms as the reviews on here did not describe my room at all, maybe I had the only good room? No the other rooms I saw were just fine and clean. I did see a couple angry and leaving sunday morning, and I did see the 'rudeness' from the front desk. This was from someone who had been nothing but charming, polite, and very helpful to me so I was interested to see that. On checking out I asked about the situation, again he was warm to me and genuinely confused, but obviously accustomed to their reaction. He didn't understand why people didn't like the hotel and most were there for only one night and had to pay whether they stayed or not. The employees checked the angry guests luggage while they stormed off to find other accommodation, there was no thanks for that service, just upset with their booking agent and took it out on the desk. So I did witness the upset with the hotel and the 'rudeness' of the employess, I still don't understand it though as I was having a lovely time.
The room had bad tv reception but I was not there to watch tv. no room safe, but had no theft issues or concerns. no coffee maker, mini bar, clock radio etc. This is not a marriott, hilton, or westin. It is a plain and simple beach hotel. Great tiled shower with not great, but acceptable water pressure and temperature.
There is no A/C control in the room but I solved that by standing on a chair and wedging the bathmat into the grate with my room key and opening both the windows.
I would rate this hotel as just gay friendly, I saw all kinds of people here. There are some rainbow tee shirts for sale in the lobby, but I wouldn't rate this a gay place like the parliment house in orlando for example. The bar was very quiet for a friday and sat night, I did not venture out for night life but its out there for those that seek it. I did hear people returning from the nightlife, mostly loud girls, but didn't last long.
I walked to old san juan saturday morning, 3.5 miles, and felt safe. I slept with the windows open. I hated to leave sunday morning.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank flyguyTheWorld
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

The hotel was dirty and out of date. We could not get maid service for three days and called five times for fresh towels after two days. There are no services available and the hotel is run like an army barracks. The staff is not friendly and being billed as a gay hotel it was a major disappointment. Stay at the Holiday Inn for a reasonable price and skip this hotel completely.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything. It is very dirty.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank robo17
Jersey City, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

The hotel staff is very unfriendly. Hustlers hanging out in front of the hotel. Rooms are dirty without any climate control so room is either too hot or too cold. Mattress had bed bugs. They used to serve breakfast in the morning but not anymore yet rates are the same. Not recommending this for anyone unless all you care about is staying in the gay hotel

• Liked — Location and Leaving back home
  • Disliked — Rooms dirty, unfriendly staff, bed bugs, list goes on and on
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jerseyboi2009
New york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

It's an older hotel on condado beach. The hotel is in need of repair but I agree with the last review,the people are the attraction that will bring me back. The service was great and the front desk clerk Jon Pierre was very helpful checking me in and a wealth of information on the area and night life. I don't know what I would have done without him.
The bartender was helpful and the morning crew aswell.
Over all I had a great time and the rooms are 79.00 per night, near some of San Juan's best night life,anyone who books a place for that price need to understand its not the Marriot.
I will be returning in march of this year.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — It could have used some TLC
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple