“This place was horible.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantic Beach Hotel

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“This place was horible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

To begin with, I didn't get the $129 hotel room. They try to put me in an "apartment" at over $300 attached to the hotel because the hotel was full. The apartment was filthy. The patio outside the apartment had rotten old furniture stored on it and you couldn't even get to the patio because the door was locked. The carpet was horrible, smells awful. I saw bedbugs crawling on the bed. I have to live. This place should be closed for safety and health hazards. Three month later I still have to fight with my credit card for a refund. It is a criminal enterprise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank 926Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

This was a birthday trip and wanted to wake up and go to bed thinking about the beach, and this hotel fufilled it. I would like to thank both Raphael and Kerry who were the main gentlemen who helped me and my best friend check in with no hassels and provided us with ample information as to things to do and how to get to and from places. Very nice guys who gave great customer service! The hotel bar area is beautiful,and just steps from the beach. The waves are pretty brutal but minus that the beach atmosphere was great. Yes I agree, the elevator is run down and we seriously used it twice. Once to bring our luggages up to our room and when we checked out. We perferred using the stairs up and down to get to the lobby and it seriously is just a few stairs. We had the oceanview which was nice, and I must say the beds were so COMFORTABLE, I could sleep for years! Bathroom is small but not so tiny like I read in other reviews. But be aware theres no fridge and man oh man you will cry for one. I don't like throwing away food so each time I brought left overs back to the room I'd forget there wasn't a fridge. No complimentary breakfast fyi, happy hour where certain drinks are cheaper,one key room so dont lose it, and there's dunkin donuts/subway walking distance and other restaurants. No iron in the room, you have to go to the front desk to pick it up and bring it back. Do go on the free barcardi tour. We took the bus at .75 cents, and the ferry. Do not book the tour through the hotel or outside party. We also went to club Brava and had a very good time, $20 to get in and we took the cab there which wasnt that bad. Overrall I had an amazing time here for my birthday. It was not over crowded, very peaceful,no noise, beach life, experienced amazing food, went to the barcardi tour and had the two free drinks, went to the farmers market and def brought back sugar canes, papaya milkshake back with us to eat and drink on the beach. If it was one thing I ate it had to be sugarcanes in PR and they were so juicy!! If your picky,uptight, and need elevators or a fridge to make your trip and cant look pass certain things,then I'd say look elsewhere. But this island girl blended too well in Condado.

Room Tip: Spacious enough for 2 people
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Darific
Peekskill, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Came for a week. Was given a diatribe about not bringing food into the hotel because of the hotel restaurant which was fine, but the restaurant was closed all week. The beach was right there so that made it worth it. High speed wifi? Not at all. Closets bathroom and dresser all moldy as well. Front desk could not be bothered to help with scheduling excursions or provide general information about the area. The responses were always "I don't know", not "let me look into that". If you want a cheap no frills place smack on the beach this is the place. Don't expect too much as the walls are paper thin as well.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Small hotel, no pool, but on the beach so it really doesn't need a pool. The bar area is fun and they have good specials during happy hour ($5 drinks and $5 sliders). The room was very small, decently cleaned but should probably repaint the walls - a lot of cuff marks on them made the room look dirty. No flat screen, just a small TV. Bathroom was ok, the maid cleaned everyday so sand free.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

I choose this hotel because of its location and price. It was not a four start hotel, but it gave me what I needed while I was there. The location is excellent. Right near all types of shops and restaurants. The bar and lobby were very nice. The ocean and beach is right downstairs which made it excellent. I had no problems with customer service and the hotel was clean. The housekeeping service was always there when needed, they were never late and rather friendly. The rooms however are very small. If you are staying as a couple, you will definitely and absolutely need your Own room. My friends and I were so happy we decided to get separate rooms or it would have been way too crowded. The elevator was a death trap, kind of scary, so I used the steps most of the time, but it was still overall a great 3 start hotel experience. Would I come back? Absolutely. Not for family trips, this hotel would be good for couples or single friends getting away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Muhammad J
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

We decided to book our stay at Atlantic Beach Hotel probably why everyone else has booked it in the past, and that is because it is located right on the beach. I had read the past reviews on this place and at first was a bit hesitant but thought I would give it a try anyways because there was an incredibly low nightly rate for a hotel located right on the beach. Upon arrival we were nervous because the front desk during our check in seemed very rude as if they didnt know what they were doing. We had stepped up and they were conversing with eachother and actually had the nerve to say " will you just give us a minute?" in a rude tone. We agreed and stepped back. Once they called us up we checked in and went to the room which was on the second floor. The elevator is practically inoperable and in horrible shape. Luckly we didnt really need it since we were on the second floor.

The rooms: Small, but honestly who goes on vacation for the hotel room? We didnt plan on spending much time in the room anyways except to sleep. The room was everything we needed. Bed, Bathroom, and a TV (basically for background noise or before we fell asleep) The bathroom is tiny, but again, who goes on vacation for hotel bathrooms?

Our only issues with this place were as follows: 1) Little to no air conditioning and you cant control what air they do have in the room. Its San Juan Puerto Rico...they should have AC for their guests. 2) No screens on the windows. We were scorching hot our first night so we made the mistake of opening the window since you cant control the AC. We woke up the next day with quite a few little bugs in the room which must have came in through the open window because there were certainly no bugs before. They should have screens! 3) They had the prefilled shampoo/body wash in the showers in these containers attached to the shower. When I first pressed the button to get out the shampoo, it came out DARK BROWN as if they hadnt been changed in years or the shampoo was turning the color of rust for some other unknown reason. Once I held down the button for a good minute or two it turned back to the normal color of BLUE. 4) Drinks at the hotel were kinda pricey even during their "happy hour" - but the bartenders were overall very nice! 5) Thin walls. When trying to sleep one night after being out in the sun all day we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallways thru our bathroom for some reason.

This hotel def needs some love and care but over all it was a good place to stay for what we needed it for. Having an ocean front hotel was def worth all these little issues we had and better than staying off the beach for sure.

Room Tip: Stay close to the ground floor if you have alot of luggage or dont want to deal with the non functio...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarah P
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This hotel although not a 5 star fancy hotel is still very well worth the money paid for it at least for me. I was concerned because of previous reviews but when we got there the front desk guy was very friendly and disclosed all the information about what will be charged up front. Yes the hotel rooms are on the small side but they are still nice and clean if all you're looking for is a place to rest your head at night which is what I pretty much always use the hotel room for anyway when on vacation I'm rarely I'm my room unless I'm sleeping. A HUGE plus for this place is that the beach is literally it's back yard. It's also just steps away from just about everything you need. This would def be a place is come back to if and when I come to San Juan.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple