“What a Nightmare!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“What a Nightmare!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

The 2 persons that I dealt with from the staff were totally unprofessional. The guy that checked us in practically treated us like criminals, asking for a picture ID from each and having us sign forms left and right. Never even greeted us. The elevator looks like sometime out of a time machine, horrible! The windows in the room were grossly dirty. The view from the window is an eyesore, a huge blue and green bldg that seems to be gutted out. Hotel is Gay friendly which I do not have an issue with but others may, so I believe they should state this in their hotel description. In the shower they have soap and shampoo dispensers which are empty. The lid fell off of one and when I bent down to pick it up I almost knocked myself out with the hot water knob. As I am showering with my back to the shower head I notice a big wad of hair stuck on the shower wall! YUCK After my shower I proceed to use their blow dryer. I detect a stench and put the blow dryer back in its cradle on the wall and mention it to my husband. It smelled like manure. I take the blower and look at it. To my shock, someone had literally put human feces on it. I was appalled.... 2:30 am and I could not sleep just imaging what may be crawling around in that bed. The bed was uncomfortable to top it off.
When I called to report the hygiene issues the Israeli guy that checked us in said that he was alone and had no maid on staff at that time but that he would make a note of it so that they would clean it, I asked him what good would that do me since I was checking out in the am. Next morning my husband finds out that he had not left a note at all, but we made it a point to make sure that they knew of the situation. We got no apologies, no compensations, nothing. Just have a good day, the nerve! My advise to all is to STAY AWAY from this hotel. I even have pictures but are much too gross to post.....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Davian8184
Juan R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantic Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Davian8184

The management and staff of our Hotel very much regrets that your previous one night stay with us did not meet all of your expectations. I would like to respectfully address some of the issues and policies of the Hotel for which you were less than pleased with. Upon check in, all guest are required to complete and sign the registration form, as well as a notice which explains that no smoking is permitted inside the Hotel public areas or guest rooms as outlined by Puerto Rico law #40. The form you refused to sign is mandatory and is welcomed by guest as it clearly explains the consequences and discloses the legal goverment fines imposed on persons who choose to ignore the smoking restrictions. For security purposes we also require each registered guest provide proper identification at check in.

With all due respect, we would like to address and clarify one area of your review which could stand out and create a less than pleasing picture of The Atlantic Beach Hotel staff and its respected reputation. At check out you did bring to the attention of the duty manager that someone had left "ladies mascara" from an applicator or tube on the blow dryer in the bathroom which upon further examination was confirmed. Again, we would like to request your forgiveness and understanding for this unfortunate oversight.

Although it is or primary intention to make all of our guest happy, we are sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to further discuss your visit.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I have traveled to over 15 different Caribbean destination. We usually try to stay in 3 to 3.5 star hotels or villas and have had some pretty good experiences. This hotel is one step above staying in a hostel and it is the worst experience that we've endured.
The front desk personal/staff were very unfriendly and treated us like criminals checking in. They eventually warmed up a little once we signed all of their contracts and paid the $100.00 deposit.
The room was very small, cramped, cold, noisy, dirty and uncomfortable. Yes cold in San Juan. No dresser, no chairs or lounges, no refrigerator, no bathtub and no room for luggage. No temperature controls and only one light switch for both side bed lamps. Lights are either all on or all off, no options if one person wants to read. We could not stop the cold air from blowing on us all night. After the first night we asked if there was a way to turn down the air conditioning supply duct to our room. They said that they would try to damper down the duct to the room, but this never seemed to get done. We eventually got another bed spread and opened the window which helped, but still very uncomfortable. The windows were filthy and disgusting.
We asked for a quite room when reserving the room and then again at check in. We ended up with a second floor room, 205, right over the bar. The bar played music until 12:30 for both of the nights we were there. Even with the remote control sound blinds on the exterior of the windows, we still had terrible, restless stay. The hallways have all hard surfaces so they were very loud. Normal voice echoed through the halls. We heard loud talking, slamming of doors and luggage wheels chunking by all night long. Not very relaxing stay. The bathroom was unusually small and very awkward and difficult for two adults. There was no counter in the bathroom, no light above the sink. There were body wash and shampoo dispensers in the shower, but they were both empty.
I don't normally take the time to write bad reviews, but this hotel is the exception. The only good things to write about is that this hotel is on the beach and it is close to a lot of good dining, but that's about it. Although on the beach, there is an abandoned and dilapidated,12 story, boarded up, concrete hotel tower attached to one side of this hotel. It's kind of creepy being on the beach under the shadow of this ugly, menacing, blue monster. The beach is very windy, with blowing sand and high waves. The hotel lounge chairs were all being used, so we used our towels that we brought width us instead of paying the extra $5.00 a chair they were asking for on the beach. The parking is extremely difficult and awkward. There is no street parking so you gave them your key and they parked your car. When you wanted your car, they would get your car when they were ready and able to move around the other cars. You pay an extra $11.00 a day for this absurd parking situation.
The bar tenders appeared not enjoy themselves and they made it appear as if it was a chore for them to be there. We were over charged twice for drinks and had to ask for money back. The drinks were expensive and took forever to get them. No smoking anywhere in the hotel except out in the street.The hotel appeared to be gay friendly and seemed to have a lot of gay men in the bar and on the beach.
We did not eat at the hotel because the menu was overly priced so I can not comment on the quality of food.
This was the worst stay that we've had on every level. This hotel may be cheap in comparison to the other hotels in the area, but there is no value for the money. You should consider paying the extra money and staying elsewhere. We would for sure! Every bad review about this hotel that you read on Trip Advisers is true and accurate.

1 Thank Peter V
Juan R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantic Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Peter V.

On behalf of the entire staff of our Hotel, I wish to apologize for the negative experience you claim to have had during your recent visit. Please rest assured that your disappointment is not consistent with the welcome and friendly enviroment we strive to create and extend to all our guest.

If I may, I would like to address a coupl;e of issues for which I, in part agree. Puerto Rico being a small Island and San Juan a highly populated metropolitan city, land and parking are at a preminun and tend to be quite expensive. In order to assist our guest with their parking needs, we do have a number of on site parking spots for which we charge $10.00 per day. On average the cost of parking in San Juan for a 24 hour period is now close to $35.00, which can certainly effect some travel budgets. We have found that by charging a minimal fee for parking we eliminate the necessity for guest who choose not to rent cars from having to subsidize the parking fees for the few persons who do so. Also, we do offer complimentary beach chairs, umbrellas and towel service as an amenity at no charge to our guest. All staff member are available and always happy to assist with the placement of chair on the beach in the requested location.

It is always our primary intention to make all our guest happy, and we are very sorry that in the end we were unable to meet your expectations. We would appreciate your giving us another opportunity in the future to try and win you over.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Let's get it straight, we did not have high expectations, not for a $120 a night in Condado anyway. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I first walked into the lobby. It was quite nice. The location of the hotel is prime! Couldn't be better. Nestled right between two major hotels. The bar and outdoor area were very nice. Lots of chairs and little tables outside. The beach was beautiful as well! They provide chairs for the beach. Did not see umbrellas or tables. The bar was actually pretty cool as well, with good music. They have a daily happy hour and drinks were very cheap, although not very good tasting. The staff was mixed. Most were friendly, but there were some pretty rude characters as well.
Our room is another story. I can understand that is an older hotel but I cannot except dirty. Our shower had a wad of hair stuck to the walls and floor. The floor of the tiny room was also pretty dirty. I felt like I was sleeping in a dorm. The bright light form underneath the door kept me up. There was not controllers for AC, but the room was pretty comfy nonetheless. The bed mattress was pretty comfy as well and linens were nice and clean.
There was barely any water pressure to take a shower however. Beware that there is also no toiletries in the bathroom. They have large containers for shampoo and conditioner but they were empty. Luckily there is a Wallgreens across the street.
Overall, I'm glad we spent only one night there before moving to a nicer hotel. Definitely OK if you're on a budget though.

2 Thank Irina B
Dear Irina B:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your recent stay at The Atlantic Beach Hotel. We do appreciate your mention of our amazing prime Condado Beach front location which is nestled right between two 5 star Hotels. We also appreciate your mention of our fantastic oceanfront restaurant and lounge bar with its incredable views and weekday happy hour from 5:00PM to 9:00PM.

On a further note, we are truly sorry that we did not fully live up to all of your expectations. In a recent staff meeting, I shared your Tripadvisor review with our Housekeeping Supervisor who has requested that I pass on her deepest apologies for the less than acceptable conditions you have described. She has assured us that proper steps will be taken to correct the mentioned faults.

In respect to the size of the guest room you reserved, I want too comment that as a small hotel property not all rooms are of equal size nor shape. We do offer a few smaller economical rooms which have less square footage in comparison to other available room options. For those who prefer to splurge we have available within the property several two and three bedroom apartment style suites with fully stocked kitchens that can accomodate up to six persons.

Thank you again for choosing The Atlantic Beach Hotel and we do hope you will consider us for any future return trips to our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

Saludos;
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Location is ideal to take in the beach and ocean, super close to bars and restaurants and just easy to get around and walkable to Old San Juan if you are fit. Very close major bus route. Staff was unsteady. One guy was kind yet another chased us up the stairs on day 3 to check we were not sneaking in with another group. Bar area and view are just amazing. The staff did not give me a genuine feel. Even though we prepaid they tried to fob us off with a shoebox like a prison cell overlooking an alley at first. Finally they moved us to an adequate room with a fab view but it was awkward: felt like we had to ask for what we should have got in the first place. Elevator is scary. Public areas need good clean. Has tons of potential!! Need stronger management and facilities attention.

Room Tip: Request sea view essential!!
3 Thank MissPrissyNewYork
Juan R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantic Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear MissPrissyN:

Thank you for taking the time to share some aspects of your recent visit to The Atlantic Beach Hotel. We do appreciate your mention of our incredable oceanfront location which you described as a "10".

Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to personally meet your during your stay, but I would like to take a moment of your time to inform you of a major hotel upgrade that will take place in the near future. Our elevator is presently set to be replaced and modernized this summer but in the meantime the present elevator continues to receive normal maintenance at regular intervals and recently passed its annual inspection and certification process. Also due to the great relationship that we have with your travel booking agent, we were able to rectify the error that was made during your reservation process and move you into the proper room that you had requested.

We again would like to Thank you for your past visit to The Atlantic Beach Hotel and do hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the very near future.

Saludos;
Lombard, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

we stayed here our first night in san juan because we were trying to save some money, but it was the worst hotel i've ever stayed at. the bathroom smelled moldy and the pillows had dirty shoeprints on them. the elevator was broken and the walls are paper thin, you could hear everything from the hallway and the neighbors. we only stayed here to sleep and still had a bad experience.
otherwise, it's a great location since it's literally ON THE BEACH and is walking distance from some great restaurants.

1 Thank Sana H
Dear Sana H:

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your previous one night stay in San Juan. We do apologize that we did not fulfill all of your needs. I forwared your Tripadvisor review to the persons who are responsible to take the necessary steps to correct any negative issues you have mentioned. Our dedicated staff members have asked that I forward you their deepest regrets and sincerest apologies for your unhappiness.

We do hope that you will give our staff another opportunity in the future to prove to that they are very much committed to making sure all our guest enjoy their stays at The Atlantic Beach Hotel.

Gracias
Montreal, Québec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

i was disappointed with this hotel. They renovated it, it could be so nice, they have everything to be nice, such a nice art deco building but it was renovated without paying attention to details, quickly and cutting corners… Room was somewhat clean… dirty windows, stain on the wall… to end on a positive note: location is great in front of the gay beach and the restaurant is nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mommtl:

We sincerely appreciate your recent stay and review of The Atlantic Beach Hotel. We were thrilled that you enjoyed our Seaview Restaurant and Lounge Bar and its spectacular oceanfront location and menu.

As with any popular hotel we are always looking to improve our existing product and services. So I did share the issues you raised regarding your room for which we are sincerely sorry it did not fully meet your expectations. Our maintenance personal do their very best to keep up with the salt misting on hotel windows which is a constant task especially during the winter months due to the sporadic rain showers and wind that confronts all oceanfront properties in the Caribbean. But they have assured me they will be more diligent with this task. As an informative side note, all of our wonderful beachs in Puerto Rico are public domain including the Condado Beach and are available for use by all persons who wish to sit back, relax and enjoy there unparalleled beauty.

Thank you again and we do hope your next return visit to Puerto Rico will bring you back our way.

Muchos Gracias
Chico, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

DON'T STAY HERE. It's obviously poorly managed, not secure, the receptionist lied to us AND may have been trying to steal our boards, the rooms were just okay, and NO HOT WATER all for $164 - so overpriced!

When we checked in, the receptionist named Francis, told us we could not bring our surf boards into our room and he said he would lock them up in the conference room of the hotel for us. He claimed that his boss, Nancy, the hotel manager, was the only person with the key. Francis also made us sign quite a few different documents - basically removing the hotel of any possible liability for stolen or lost items. Since the conference room, according to Francis was our only option, we carried our 7 foot boards inside. He insisted on helping us carry them through the corridor to the laundry room and would have smacked one against the wall if we didn't block him from doing so. He placed them precariously leaning against a wall in the hotel's "laundry room" - it wasn't a room at all - it was a hallway through which employees came and went from the outside. Any guest or stranger could wander in there from outside - there was no door to the laundry area and the doors to the hotel were kept wide open all night.

When we asked Francis when his boss, Nancy would arrive to put the boards in the "conference room" he said "he had no idea". This was a big red flag to us that the boards were going to stay there all night, but we waited around the hotel bar - which I admit was nice and right on the beach - but we found that Francis was actually at the front desk less than half the time. That left the hotel open to anyone who wandered in. Our boards were not secure and I had a strong sense that Francis was planning to steal or have a friend steal our boards. So we waited till he got off work and brought them up to the room. They fit perfectly fine through the stairwell, hallway and in the room, there was no real reason why we were not allowed to bring them up. In the morning we brought the boards down early so that Nancy, the manager did not notice, afraid they might try to charge us extra or something. When she checked us out, she had no idea we had boards. If Francis was trying to make sure the boards were safely locked up in the "conference room" or safe somewhere in the hotel, wouldn't you think he would have left a note???

Nancy did not seem too worried about anything we mentioned to her. It turns out there is no conference room in the Atlantic Beach Hotel. We are not picky travelers but the absence of hot water and soap in the hotel was just too much on top of worrying about the security of our $1,000 boards. The hotel's location is the nicest thing about it, but there are plenty of other options like it in the same price range.

Room Tip: The rooms with the ocean view are nice unless you are a light sleeper - they blasted electronic musi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marley Z
Dear Marley Z:

The management of our Hotel very much regrets that your short layover on you way to Rincon did not meet all of your expectations. During a recent management meeting the topic of your Tripadvisor review was discussed in detail including interviews with the employees who were accused of intentional misconduct.

With all due respect, I would like to assure you that all of our staff members take their positions very seriously and their only intentions are to make sure all guest are porvided the highest level of service, safety and security during their stays at The Atlantic Beach Hotel. In your particular case, our staff members on duty knew and shared the value you place on your kite surfing equipment as they were simply trying to find the best way to securely accommodate such large bulky equipment. My colleagues further stated they had informed you and your companion that even if your equipment had been able to fit through the stairways or into the elevator, the "Puerto Rico Fire Codes" would not allow the hotel to permit guest to store kite surfing equipment, surfboards, bicycles or any other large items in guest rooms or hallways due to the emergency hazards and risk they pose for all of our hotel guest and employees.

In the end, we believe our staff members made the appropiate decision to follow company procedure and fire codes by safely storing your kite surfing equipment in management's designated secure area so it would be available for your retrieval the next morning.