“Why pay more? Truly home away from home.”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am so glad I stayed at the Atlantic Beach hotel in spite of some of the reviews. Why pay more to have access to the same beach and tourist areas as the neighboring pricey resorts. The ocean view room made it feel like paradise to me and later, to other family members. I stayed 12 days and was able to tend to a family member in a nearby hospital as well as have a vacation experience. The staff was courteous and helpful. I felt safe even late at night. There is a 24-hour Walgreens close by, Starbuck's, as well, as many dining and "happening" places. The hotel dining overlooking the ocean is perfect for breakfast after a beach morning walk/run, for lunch/happy hour or for a late night snack. They have parking for a small fee. Although there is no pool, the beach is steps away. When we come back, we plan to stay at the Atlantic Beach Hotel were we felt like "familia."

Room Tip: Ocean view. They also have apartments for short-term rental.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vivian B

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

You couldn't ask for a better location. Right on the beach with great view. Bar is great. Food even better. The room is very, very small. No thermostat in room. They control it by floor we were told. Room was sweltering. Had to open the window and go to Walgreens to buy a fan just for a few hours of sleep. If you don't mind cramped spaces and sleeping in an oven, you can't beat this place. Go for the bar and dinner but stay someplace else.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

A true ocean front beautiful place I love it I will comeback. My Room was grate but I love seating in the lobby or out buy the bar room was jest over 100 bucks we stay 3 night I wish I wood stay more but enjoy the Oder places. Too my favorite is this one

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I had booked a room just for one night. The lobby was beautiful and the dining area was great with a beautiful view of the beach. My issue was with the customer service and the room. We got up to the room and it was not what we expected. It was very small and we were not comfortable, the phone did not work well (A lot of static. Front desk employee could not hear me from the other end), and there seemed to be mold growing around the air vent of the room. So of course we asked to move to a different room. John, the extremely rude and unprofessional front desk worker moved us next door. We had the same issues. So my girlfriend and I decided we no longer wanted to stay at this hotel. I checked out with the general manager(at least that's what I was told) and received no receipt or any type of paperwork stating that my stay was complete. Later on when I went to address John about receiving a refund due to my dissatisfaction, he proceeded to tell me that I'd be wasting my time to talk to the manager along with a slew of other unruly and disrespectful remarks that were completely uncalled for. All the while his voice was raised, even after my girlfriend let him know that he should watch his tone. We asked to see the paperwork that we signed at check-in and he lied to our faces saying that it had already been filed away and he didn't have access to it. Mind you, he had just pulled out the paper work for a group in front of my girlfriend and I. He was very disrespectful to the point where my girlfriend and I had to just walk away before the situation went south. It was a terrible experience for the most part and would deter me from ever staying there again. This experience did not ruin our trip however. We were thoroughly pleased with "Le Consulat" hotel which was on the next street over. Please be absolutely sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you plan on staying at Atlantic Beach hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Percy N
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The place has been totally upgraded and is clean. Bed & Night Stands have been replaced, BUT they need to replace the desk/dresser/whatever. It is a big contrast to the other furnishings - old worn & weathered. The gap under door can be taken care of with a towel. I did have an individual A/C in my room so controlling the temp was not an issue. My room did not have a closet, so there was no place to hang shirts or stash suitcase. I suggest & would think a few nice hooks in the corner & the "thing" most places have to put a suitcase on would work and not cost to much. I have seen a place nearby that has a small closet rod hanging from ceiling. The bathrom had been redone as well but with a pedestal sink - so there wasn't any place to put toiletries etc. There is room to put a shelf on the wall to the right when facing sink. These 2 little issues are an easy & relatively cheap thing to address. Will stay here again. Convienent Location walking distance to many places to eat & have a beverage. The Hotel does have a bar & serves food - the food is good. Did not like having to pay $2.50 for my morning coffee before venturing out of hotel. It either should be included for the guests or be discounted for guests with a voucher or by showing Room Key. $1 for coffee and they are still making money. Was told when checking in that guests were not allowed to bring their own food or beverages in the lobby or to the tables overlooking the ocean and had to sign something regarding that. I can understand in the bar & restaurant area, but the other area, Really??? Think that takes a lot of nerve. Most hotels have a pool and it is never a problem to bring a beverage of any kind out to it and enjoy it. This is really an attemp to milk the guests for as much as they can!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FlaTourist
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had read the reviews prior to going and was hesistant about the rooms due to no air conditioner adjustment, and the gap in the bottom of the door but I am here to tell you that it was not what I had vision. The rooms are small, yes, and there is a small gap in the bottom of the door but the rooms are cleaned everyday, and are in great shape. If you go with an open mind that you are on vacation and are not going to be spending time in your room, you will have a great time.. It has the perfect location, with an outdoor lobby, with bar and resturant outside, overlooking the ocean. John greeted me and during my stay treated me with "excellent service".

I spent 6 days in this hotel and I would recommend it to any of my friends or family.. One of the greatest trips I have had. What an experience!! Hotel provides beach chairs, umbrellas, and drinks on the beach.... all you have to do is bring yourself.. I will def go again. Robert R. Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Room Tip: If you want a ocean view, ask early and ensure you book it. they fill up quickly..
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent two nights here and had a great time. The bar and open lobby area is so relaxing at night and wasn't too crowded. The beach area is fun...waves are rough. The only thing that could be improved in my opinion is the elevator for sure (we didn't have any problems but it won't last much longer), and the bathroom area. I was really frustrated with the shower curtain...it was literally two small curtains that met in the middle so water gets all over the floor really bad and it's all tile in the entire room so it gets slippery. Beds were pretty comfy. TV was fine...a few good channels. We were on the other side of the hotel away from the Oceano club so we didn't hear much noise at night but others probably could. The restaurant was a nice convenience but there are a lot of places to eat nearby. Keep in mind that there is a minimum of $20 at the hotel's bar area to use your debit/credit card. We recommend the blue cheese bacon burger and chicken quesadilla at the hotel or the beef and onions with plantains and pina coladas at Orozcos. Also Café Del Angel had a good pork mofongo. We had a wonderful time and I'm so glad we came here. The hotel has some flaws but it's a great location, chill spot that is low key (versus the resorts), and it just feels so Puerto Rico. Loved it!

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from Oceano seem to be better for light sleepers. Pay for the ocean view...it's n...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple