“Excellent Location, Mediocre Amenities, Loud Noises”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Location, Mediocre Amenities, Loud Noises”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights before moving to another hotel and it was okay. If you are going to Puerto Rico on a budget and just want to relax at the beach and dont expect luxury, than this is a good place for you.

The location is EXCELLENT--you're right next to the beach and you get free beach chairs for the day. The rooms are quite tiny and so is the shower, but it is clean and has a great temperature (not too hot/not too cold). The bar/food was pretty good but there are others around the area that are cheaper and better quality.

Now for the cons. The shower only had cold water for our last night which was refreshing but annoying at the same time (refreshing because you're sweaty by the end of the day but annoying because I always want a decent hot shower by the end of the day).

On our last night we had to wake up at 2:45AM to go to the Airport. Our phone alarms did NOT wake us up, but rather, it was the sound of the water pump that kept me up all night and woke me up on time to leave for the airport. By far, it was the most annoying, vibrating sound you will ever hear--thank goodness we didn't plan on sleeping in for the day.

The elevator sucks. Don't take it. You don't need to anyways since the whole hotel is only 3 floors and not a lot of stairs to take.

Overall, if you can live with cold showers, occasionally loud annoying noises at night and tiny rooms with very few amenities, then by all means this is for you. We stayed here for the location and the beach which certainly did not fail.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank howelle11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This has the potential to be a good boutique hotel but unfortunately lacks basic services and some of the front desk staff make you feel it is an imposition to ask for anything. In fairness others were friendly but let down by a rude and unhelpful staff member or just disinterested staff. The bar has friendly service but lacks consistency. You are paying for a beach front location but I'm sure there are much better value options a few blocks back. If we return to San Juan we would stay in Old San Juan or a condo.

Room Tip: Avoid 407 as it near a generator and gets noise from the elevator
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben O
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Located in front of the beach, went with friends to the restaurant had some drinks and a popcorn soup as recommended by our waiter yanira. Very attentive service and a good place for weekends. I plan to go back soon.

Room Tip: get room with a view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Prime beachfront location with budget amenities. Excellent breakfast and tapas menus however, quality of food was inconsistent on our last day, with overcooked omelet and an incomplete order of waffles. This was an isolated incident as the food was excellent all other times. Outside bar and restaurant are modern, trendy and comfortable with breathtaking ocean views. Front desk staff are generally helpful and friendly. Francis, who was fairly new, and Carlos were both excellent. Both Greg and Armando stood out for their service in the bar area. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job cleaning and maintaining the cleanliness of the property. We booked a non-oceanfront room which was a big mistake on our part. We did inquire about an upgrade at check in however, it appeared that this required manager's (owner's) approval, and we did not pursue. HVAC system needs an upgrade - no thermostat to control temp. We had a warm room while others complained it was too cold. No fancy shampoo, cream or conditioners, no concierge, nor a bureau to keep your clothes in. If you're expecting a Hilton, do not stay here. As a matter of fact, don't stay here if you're expecting a Holiday Inn. It's a budget hotel which the owner's take great pride, and with limited resources, provide an economical place to stay without all the frills and a few nice touches. Plenty of chairs on the beach along with bar service, and a friendly staff to boot. If you've read other reviews, it is a mix of gay/straight clientele, elevator is old and scary, rooms are sparse, large gaps under doorways, and no dead bolts. Clogged drain and broken remote were fixed with two inexpensive items from Walgreens, Drano and AAA batteries. It was a good fit for us however, it may not be for you. Make an informed decision before booking here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Twoguyztravelers
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have stayed in San Juan resorts many times and decided to take a chance on this place. I am glad I did! It was my best experience yet in the city. Although, the rooms are basic the location to the beach is perfect. The check in desk people could be friendlier , but the bartender Armando was extremely attentive and went out of his way to make customers beach drinking and lounging experience perfection. The lobby is very chic and modern. The rooms could catch up with time a bit but they aren't horrid. Breakfast is cheaper at the hotel than outside. Walgreens is across the street if your suntan location was taken at the airport security. I like the gay friendly but not gay in your face vibe. I will be back next spring break.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here when I was in my 20's. Back then it was a gay mecca. Well a renovation has changed that. Still some gay clientele but mainly straight people and families. You can't beat the location. Room is good but no dresser for clothes. Clean modern bathroom. The common areas and stairs could use some sprucing up. The lobby was renovated well. Friendly staff. A plus, it's right next to am excellent restaurant called Oceano. Fabulous food and service.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Steve B
Orlando
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I do understand the very mixed reviews regarding the Atlantic Beach Hotel, but considering the room rates and the fantastic location, you can certainly put up with a few things that need tweaking. I just returned last week and must say that the renovations are quite an improvement and as always, the best feature is the beach bar and the bartenders. Armando, Ivan, and Jose more than make up for the desk staff who, yes, could use a bit of polish. While eating breakfast at the restaurant, one desk clerk came to ask if I knew when check out time was, and a few minutes later actually called me in my room to remind me when check out was, and then reminded me again when I went back downstairs. I felt like he was in quite a rush for me to leave and it wasn't even check out time yet! But otherwise, even the most gruff staffer did try to be helpful when I asked for anything. The dining room wait staff is also rough around the edges - they sort of shove you aside if you are walking too near them as they wait tables, and they tend to pile up dirty dishes in front of you if you happen to sit on the sea side of the bar. But remember, they are new. Regarding the credit card issues mentioned in other reviews, I have heard guests argue about their credit card charges upon check in or check out, however, I have not had any such problems myself. I do book through the actual Atlantic Beach Hotel site, not one of the other hotel booking sites. Regarding the gay issue, yes the hotel is located on the gay beach but I have seen everyone from families with small children and teens, to senior citizens, and even a church group all enjoying themselves at this very diverse hotel and chatting with complete strangers at the friendly bar. So I plan many more returns and in spite of any relatively minor issues I do recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Calle Venig as the club across the street is noisy on weekends.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo