“I should have listened to the warnings!”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Lake Worth, Florida
“I should have listened to the warnings!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Lord have mercy where should I start??

Well, I arrived to the Atlantic beach hotel with my best friend on June 28, which was my 30th birthday. I did read several reviews on this place with some being good and some being bad, mostly 50/50. I've been to several hotels with my friend in the NY area where we had to share a bathroom on the same floor as everyone (that is another story) and that hotel wasn't as bad as this one.

Starting off on my birthday adventure, we arrived there an hour early so we had to wait for a room to be cleaned (no problem). We sat in the gorgeous lobby which is simply breath taking with it's tropical beach view. As we sat in the lush couches waiting on our room we observed a dead lizard on the top of the couch that has been there since God knows when and was half way dried up. I didn't let this detour me (being as I am from Florida) seeing that is a common assault here but I found it odd that workers passed it by several times.

Never the less here we go up into the death trap of a elevator I was warned about from TripAdvisor. I braced my self for it so I wasn't phased. So now when we get to the 3rd floor (which I read about on here as being the coldest floor in a/c reference an shower water) I was equipped with a hoodie. The room is just as small as was predicted. I thought against taking pictures of the room because a camera does it no justice, this is to be videoed.

Anyway fast forward to me coming back from a very nice birthday dinner and $3.50 drink special from downstairs. So now I go into the bathroom to take a nice hot shower (yes there was hot water) an I close the door behind me from privacy (I DID NOT LOCK THE DOOR). Took my shower an am now ready to leave the bathroom when the door lock won't turn. So I used on of the hanging complimentary wash cloths to open it to see maybe it's because of the hot steam that is on the door that is causing me not to open it. Well that wasn't the case, so now i'm knocking on the bathroom door from the inside as to get the attention of my friend so that she can try and open it for me (thank God she didn't fall asleep or even step out of the room). She tried to open the door to no avail and told me that she was going to go downstairs to get help from the front desk. It only took a few minutes for her to come back to tell me that someone was coming. She said that when he came in the room he came in with a knife to open the door (which didn't work) because the door is heavy, old, and made of wood. The knob itself felt like steal because it wouldn't turn. So he tried to pry it open to no avail. She then instructed him to use a screw driver because it would be able to open the latch better. He ignored her and went for a tool box instead and pulled out a hammer and proceeded to hit the door. Meanwhile I am inside dying of sweat and no air because they keep asking me questions and I had to turn off the light because the fan made so much noise I couldn't hear a thing. Thank God there was a fan associated with the light or else I may have suffocated to death in there because there was no air nor a space under the door where air could come in.
So eventually Chris (who's name i'll never forget) finally listened to my friend and got a screw driver and opened the door. [Which i have provided an after picture of it for your viewing]

Now at this point I don't feel safe. I quickly grabbed my hoodie, put it on and went downstairs. I spoke with the manager on duty for the night Mr.Therry. Funny how when we were downstairs earlier enjoying our $3.50 drinks in the lobby he sat right next to us and never introduced himself. Maybe because he was enjoying his $3.50 drink he was too busy, I don't know. But anyway, I explained to him what had just took place (here's the funny part) I asked him if I could be reimbursed or if he could put the remainder of my money towards another hotel, the answer was "NO". Well alright then I thought maybe he didn't understand the circumstances. So I explained again with the notion that "Hey, what if"? If I had come on this trip alone when would you have found out that I was locked in the bathroom with no cellphone or a way to indicate that I needed help, uhh maybe July 1st when I was expected to check out?
So now here is what he said, he told me that was just speculation and that what if he would have had a heart attack? Then what? I'm thinking to myself sir this has nothing to do with the fact that you are one cheese burger away from a real heart attack, seriously? So I asked him if I were raped then what would have been the outcome, silence.....hmmm.
He told me to go contact cheaptickets.com where I bought my room from. I did contact them after 2 hours of waiting I was told that a manager was too busy to get to my situation. Also the representative I was holding on the phone with said that he called the hotel and was told that there was not a hotel manager on duty. I just wanted my money back so we could go else where.

But long story short go to the Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan
1369 Ashford Ave., San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico if you are on a budget like we were. It is located on the main strip which is Ashford Ave, where all the shops, restaurants and hotels are.
The price difference between the two were not that much of a difference, and they give you a complimentary drink.

Myths about this place..

- I'd like to add that the alley way on Vending st where this hotel is located does not look dangerous, come on people it's a short walk from there to the main road, it's not the best of places but it sure does not look like a scary movie either.

- Parking, good luck. The place is always packed and it costs $10 a day to park at the hotel (if you can find any).

- I was never told about the $100 deposit they want before you check in. I learned that from this website so I was prepared.

- Its worth it to take the public bus to old San Juan for .75 cents, the stop is located on the main road which is Ashford st and the bus stop is either to your right as you get to the end of the road located right in front of La Concha Beach Resort or to the left of the end of the road in front of a nice boutique. The bus to take is the B21 (make sure you have exact change) and just find a seat and take in the view. The ride is only 20-25 minutes long with nice cool air conditioning. The 2 bus drivers we had spoke English and was able to point us in the direction of where to wait for another bus when we were done touring. The bus driver makes it a point on the way back to stop at all the stops on the major road and ask if you know where you are going or what hotel you are from.

All in all it was a great trip with memories and lessons that have been well learned.

Room Tip: Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan 1369 Ashford Ave., San Juan 00907 If you can...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank NicoleN173

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were exceptionally hesitant after reading the reviews for this hotel however we had already booked through a travel site and were fully aware we would lose most of our money if we cancelled. We prepared for the absolute worst. However upon checking in we were greeted with smiles, great customer service, and were given great travel information. Our room while small was huge when compared to rooms we have stayed in for cruises. The room was clean and cleaned well daily. The elevator while small was fully functioning. We opted to take the stairs because after indulging in all the great food within steps of our door, we needed the exercise! Very safe area. We traveled with our child and had no issues or concerns walking around at night or going to the beach. This is not a resort. It is not the Hilton. It is a moderately priced hotel with all the mentalities one could ask for. The management and staff were very friendly. We were very excited to see that they are adding a restaurant as this will make it a prime location. Keep your mind open and attitude in check and you will have a fabulous time! We definitely plan on going back. The only negative is that there is no sound proofing but we were told they are working on this currently.

Room Tip: Room 303 was perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank EAD D
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The room was super smalls and looks dirty, doesnt looks like the pictures. There was an event in the area because a holiday ''Noche de San Juan'', and everytime I want to go to my room they asked me a lot of question to get in or just to enter the lobby. I never ever recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank dmart02
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My friend and I stayed here from May 23-29th. There are two great benefits to staying at Atlantic Beach, but also reasons I will never go back:

1) The happy hour is unmatched. $3.75 for all mixed drinks from 11am - midnight? Can't beat it. 2) Location location location. We were in a prime location for all restaurants, nightlife and attractions. If you don't want to rent a car and don't want to spend loads of cash on cab fare every night, the bus stop on Ashford St. takes you to all major locations including Old San Juan.

What really got under my skin was the guest policy - or lack thereof. We had friends staying down the street at the Marriot. When we tried to bring them upstairs to hang out in our room, the hotel manager stopped us dead in our tracks and told them they had to leave because they don't allow outside guests in the hotel. We were so enraged and embarrased...I have never come across such a thing at ANY hotel I've stayed at.

We paid hundreds of dollars to stay at a hotel that treated us like we were in a boarding school. And on top of that, they complained every time we asked for fresh towels AND our sheets had mysterious stains on them. They'll never get a dime of my money ever again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jaz G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This hotel stay is the worse I've experienced. The photos are deceiving. We were given an already renovated room on the 2nd floor. The room was extremely small and the view was of a cat laying on the building next door. The elevators are scary and don't even sound safe. The room was itty bitty but I traveled with a friend so it wasn't awful. The bathroom though was very small. So small you can't close the door unless you squeeze yourself in a corner first. At our arrival into the room there were flying bugs and mosquitos everywhere because the window was left open in the bathroom. When we went to the front desk to request assistance, like maybe another room, we were given a can of spray instead. Luckily, there was a Walgreens close by and we went and had to purchase bug spray and bug traps on our own. The hallways are small, the doors are heavy and the walls are thin. Anytime someone left out of there room, you hear the door slam. Couples intimate pleasures were heard throughout the days. The staff were horrible & disrespectful. And just an fyi, this hotel is not for heterosexuals. The other "all guy" guests looked at us like something was wrong and then we figured out why. Just a thought. The hotel is on the beach and is perfectly located in an area where there is different foods, Walgreens, Burger King, Gucci, clothing stores, casinos & novelty shops. However, it is not worth your money. Fortunately, we were only in our room to sleep.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. Find a a hotel in San Juan.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank LiveL0veLife
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The Hotel is on the beach, what more can you ask for?! Many times, you pay for the extra amenities which you dont take advantage of at larger chain hotels when realistically, boutique hotels are the way to go! This hotel has a beautiful lobby and is currently remodeling to accomodate its growing clientelle. The rooms are clean and modern, hotel staff is friendly and helpful and the drinks at the bar are cold and reasonable as far as costs are concerned. Across the street is a restaurant/bar called Oceana which is hip and modern, has great drinks and food. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to couples/singles/larger groups aka party seekers. This is not the hotel for a family vacation with small children. Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nicole K
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed in Room 302 on the third floor. The room was very small, one person had to sit on the bed to make room for the other to get to the bathroom. The A/C was cranked and the room was ice cold. The courteous staff said the individual temperature in the room could not be adjusted, but he would see what he could do... the room remained freezing. The sink had warm water, but to our dismay the shower was also ice cold, so we had to take a hand bath out of the sink for the two nights we stayed. And don't count on the elevator to be reliable, we had to carry our luggage down the stairs when we left. Nice view of the beach, great location, pleasant staff, but the amenities leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple