“Aaaahhh Right on the Ocean” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantic Beach Hotel

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Tilghman, Maryland
“Aaaahhh Right on the Ocean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

You are steps from the Atlantic and what a nice beach. We have stayed in other boutique hotels here in San Juan and this one is closest to shops, restaurants, night life. Also a bus ride is 75 cents to Old San Juan City.
Note: There is a night club next door, so if you go and sleep early, ask for a room on the side away from the club. It was loud on the weekends and after changing rooms, we heard nothing at all. There is a gay clientele, but it did not affect our visit and we never felt uncomfortable. There is no restaurant yet, but they are working on it and said that it would be opened in the summer.There are a couple of casinos and a weekend market place nearby. There is no free parking, but go into the hotel and they will take care of you and your car for 10 dollars a day. The staff here was very helpful and friendly. The rooms are small, but clean and there is a hair dryer! Have fun.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the night club next door.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Born_to_go61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Probably most notable thing is the majority of patrons are gay. It presented no problem for me. Everyone was very polite and respectful. You can walk up our down the beach fifty yards in either direction to hang with the straight crowd.
Room was small but clean and comfortable.

Staff was friendly and helpful. One note: the do not allow local guests up to the rooms. I talked to other guests who said there was no problem if a white visitor wanted to visit a guests room. This apparent policy was the only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Bar is being remodeled. Noise was never an issue. Large gaps under room doors meant lots of light and sound were always present.

Location couldn't be better. Shopping, restaurants, casino, buses and beach is all right there.

• Stayed March 2012
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is a no-frills hotel... don't go in expecting to be blown away. However, the location is great and the price is right. The rooms were small, but clean. The staff is nice, but you aren't going to be a prince staying here. The best part by far is the location, you can walk almost anywhere... we even walked to old San Juan, but we really like to walk! My biggest complain is it was a little noisy at night (just door closings and things like that, no partying).

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed here the third week of February 2012 for my birthday weekend with some family. We had a blast. I guess I am just not one to nit pick every little thing I figure I am on vacation and out of the country no less...who cares about the room as long as it is clean with no bed bugs its perfect to me....besides who plans on being in there more than a few hours to sleep. I could complain about the creepy elevator, the tiny bathroom and room(s), or even the little hut of a bar or the small amount of construction (which thankfully we stayed on the weekend so no work was being done), the varying cab ride prices, etc.. but why its all in the experience and none of it killed me so its nothing to get irate about. The hotel is in a perfect location you can get anywhere and if your brave the bus is like 75 cents!! and will take you anywhere just about. One thing I (we) didnt experience that most seemed to have experienced was rude customer service. I (we) were treated very well upon check in-during-and check out. Eddie was the best by the way! Also the other gentlemen who works at night he recommended a trip to the Old San Juan hotel....BEST PART OF THE TRIP! We had a great time there ...the casino...the live band...club Babylon!!!

All and all it was a great birthday weekend and I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Be advised this hotel is under construction so don't expect to get any sleep in the mornings. I really wish I knew this going in because it is also very loud while laying on the beach. Jackhammers and drills don't really make for a relaxing enviroment.

The bar they have is convenient and cheap ($3.50 for beers $3.50 for mixed drinks) but the drinks are pretty weak and their blender was broken. Bar staff is super friendly but they double as every other position at the hotel so sometimes you might be standing there for a while without getting served.

The room was much smaller than what the pictures looked like. Generally clean but the shower didn't drain (discusting) and one of the lamps didn't work. Our bathroom didn't have any soap in it and barely any towels. We got a double bed with a twin for 3 people.

When we checked in the man behind the desk seemed very stressed out and kept telling us to keep holding on while he did other stuff. 20 minutes later he started checking us in. He told me they hold a $100 deposit, I double checked that they only amount I would be charged was the amount I paid. Upon check out they told us we needed to pay extra for having an extra person in the room. This seemed strange because there wasn't anything else included, wasn't like we were getting breakfast or anything. Side note, no restaurant here. When I told the guy behind the counter the other guy assured me what I paid was correct he was extremely rude. I've honestly never experienced someone in the hospitality industry speak to a customer like that. He was talking about me quietly to the other woman acting like I couldn't hear him. Not once did he apologize for the confusion, he just got this really condescending tone. Never have I experienced anything like that.

By the time we paid the extra $22 a night for the additional person it didn't save us any money compared to the bigger hotel chains which have a lot more resources and pools which this one didnt.

It's a shame, this hotel has so much potential because of its location but the experience was tarnished because of the horrible customer service.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travelor816
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

From reading the reviews I was expecting the worst, and instead was pleasantly surprised. Booking can only be done through their website. I personally like to speak to a person, but the online reservation was quick and easy. Check-in was easy enough. We were part of a large group and I could feel that they were a little overwhelmed. However, they were fast and efficient, and we were able to quickly access our room.

The room was small, but it served our purposes. We weren't there to lounge in our room all day. We just needed a clean and comfortable place to sleep for the night as a stopover before our cruise, and this place was perfect for that. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. No complaints there!

Be ready to leave at or before checkout time. They had a lot of people coming in, and were calling us to make sure we would be able to checkout on time.

The people at the desk were helpful with any questions, and assisted us with getting taxi service the couple times we needed it.

The lobby and bar were relaxing and comfortable. Sit with a cocktail and enjoy the beautiful view of paradise!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from our PR vacation, 03/1/12- 03/05/12.. Great location in the middle of everything you need, hotel is very clean, no smoking allowed, but you can smoke in the hotel bar which is fab!!! The bar has happy hour from 11am-11pm, $3.00 beers and $3.50 mixed drinks you will never go wrong. The onlt con to the hotel is you can't sleep!!!! They are under construction which it really never bothered me, im a heavy sleeper, but the front desk kepted calling housekeeping every single second and the phone was ringing non-stop that woke me up!!! :(( They should have 2 way radios to commicate. Besides that the hotel staff especially the bar guys were friendly and nice.. Will consider staying there again..

Room Tip: Single bed that are not ocean view are a small match box, invest in an oceanview. We stood in rm # 2...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple