“Pros and cons”

Ranked #45 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“Pros and cons”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel from 9/3 to 9/4. The hotel is still undergoing renovations so the lobby is an eyesore. The elevator and stairs is also in bad shape so it gives the place a 1 star feeling. The staff also speaks little English so communication can involve some guess work. On the plus side the rooms were basic but clean and you really can't beat the location for the price. The hotel is really right on the beach. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance. There is also a Wendys, Walgreens and Dunkin Donuts within a 10 minute walk from the hotel. There are plenty of cops around so you do feel safe. Nightlife was ok in this area but if you really want to get more options you should go to Old San Juan which is about a 10 minute ride from the hotel. If u take a taxi make sure you ask for the fare before getting in. I had an experience where the hotel staff told me the fare would be around $12.  I asked the taxi driver how much and he said $20. I told him I heard it was 12 and he quickly said yes 12 :) they are known to overcharge naive tourists.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank TAMember04192014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Atlantic Beach Hotel
PO Box 16876
San Juan PR 00908-6876

Complaint Description:
I checked into the Atlantic Beach on Friday the 2nd and checked out Saturday the 3rd. I have a $187 authorization on my CC, $86 of which is for the room and the other $100 was a hold which I was told twice would be removed within 48 hours guaranteed. I made sure to ask because I am flying in three days and need the money to pay for my luggage. My CC company told Atlantic Beach to simply send a fax to the CC company saying they authorized the release of the $100. When I went to check on the situation and give the employee the information to send to the CC company he refused, then refused to give me the manager's name or his name! THEN, when I (5'9" 150 skinny guy) told him that the hotel was holding my money hostage he came from behind the counter with a big stick and threatened to hit me with it. I don't know if there are cameras there or not but I swear to God this man (I was able to find out he is a Cuban man named Eric or something similar) came at me with a stick (which is prbably still behind the counter) and when my CC company called him after he continually hung up on my calls he refused to fax the info for the release of the hold. The threat of physical violence against me and the refusal to return my $100 hold after a week when I was told it would be back in the acccount within 48 hours when I left the room squeaky clean is unacceptable, especially since I stay in hotels in San Juan all the time and many don't even use the CC hold. The hotel is refusing to help in any way and I am without the money I need, and the threat of beating me with a stick is incredibke. I was going to call the police but he told my friend who was with me at the hotel that he was calling a group of his friends to come so we left.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AtLeastBeDecent
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My Husband and I spent eight nights at the Atlantic during August. Although we read many reviews of San Juan hotels on Tripadvisor, we decided that their location and price is mainly what attracted us. We were for the most part satisfied with the condition of our room which was very clean and basic for our needs. The staff, especially the front desk were very friendly and helpful in assisting us with arrangeing a tour to the rain forrest.

We will be returning to San Juan in January 2012 for a seven day Princess cruise, and and have already booked a three day precruise stay at the Atlantic.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pat P
Manhattan, NYC
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed as a family at the Atlantic Beach Hotel for three nights. The hotel is still going through renovations, particularly in the lobby area; however, this does not get in the way of hotel guests. We were on the 4th floor and had an ocean view. We were actually in the double room as there was a front door for rooms 410 and 411. Each room was on opposite sides of each other and had it’s own door with a bathroom in the middle. The bathroom did not have a real door just a thin, flimsy sliding door, so it's not that useful if you are traveling with friends or other family members and would want real privacy as you shower or use the bathroom. Plus, you needed the key for the front door to enter the room 410/411 area and also for each individual room. If you mistakenly closed your room door while going to the bathroom, you would lock yourself out of your room if you did not bring the key to the bathroom with you. It’s a strange set up. I was charged higher than what is listed on the web site since I had one of the largest rooms.

Our view was of the ocean and since we were on the 4th floor, we were not bothered by the very loud music being played nightly at the bar. However, be prepared for the music to last past midnight and be sure to request an upper floor if at all possible. Nor, could we hear the construction during the morning hours.

Based on the reviews I read before traveling to this hotel, I knew to ask for the "upgraded" room. While our room was upgraded, it was also built as the handicap room; however, it was fully functional for us.

The room was very clean and seemed newly renovated. The floors were beautifully tiled, as was the entire bathroom and shower. The walls were freshly painted and very clean, pure white. However, since this is a boutique hotel, they did take some shortcuts. There was no flat screen tv, only an older tube box. Also, besides the new headboard and sideboard for the bed, the dresser and night stand looked to be from before they renovated the hotel. Both were very old and dated looking.

The room was very plain. One small dresser, one very small closet and two night stands with two very well used, not so clean lamps on them.

Now, here are my real complaints. Because this is a small, boutique style hotel, I believe they are taking way too many shortcuts for the price one pays. They need to tweak a few details, for example:

-Our room had two large towels and only one face towel in the closet, not bathroom. They were stingy to give more towels and would only provide one additional face towel since some towels were already in the room.

-We did not have even one bar of soap in our room when we arrived, which is just ridiculous. Every room should be prepared in the same way.

-One lamp was so old that it would not turn off unless you unplugged it.

-In the bathroom, there was no holder for the toilet tissue. The roles were stacked on the toilet's tank lid. That is just vulgar.

-You are subject to the air conditioning they decide to blast or turn off for the entire building, so it goes from freezing to humid and hot, back to freezing throughout the day and night.

-There are no phones in the room, only a stupid hall phone...that's just stupid. Make sure you take your cell phone or else forget about it.

-There is no personal shampoo, conditioner or lotion for guests. There are two dispensers that were filled who the heck knows how long ago with shampoo and conditioner to use, but that’s disgusting too. Yuck.

So, really the only comfortable thing about the hotel was that the room and bathroom were both clean. The convenience to the beach is nice; however, it's a filthy beach. Everyone seems to be littering regrettably.

The extra time is not taken by the hotel's staff to make sure each room is prepared for guests prior to their arrival. Toilet tissue should have a proper holder and not be stacked on top of the tank like some disgusting public bathroom. That's lazy, inconvenient and very vulgar. Guests should have adequate amounts of soap and towels already in the room, and be provided what they require throughout their stay regardless of how many towels were already in the room.

I never asked for housekeeping services to clean my room while there because I did not want to be possibly charged a fee for whatever. After requesting soap and only allowed one more face towel, I saw how unprepared, cheap and stingy they were, I did not want to possibly in anyway acquire any service fees to be charged to my room.

The Vendig Street this hotel is located on is not a place necessarily for families. It is filthy as is the beach this hotel is located directly next to. It’s very urban, which means it's dirty and not a place you would want to walk after sunset with your family. There was a huge pile of smelly trash that stayed on the sidewalk even after the trash collectors came. No one ever picked it up and I'm sure if you go there today, you'll see a pile of trash to the left of the hotel that will still be there. If you are not willing to pay a little higher for a view of the ocean, with the hotel being as small as it is with only 5 floors, your view will be horrible. There will not be a beautiful city view at all. The street is very narrow, so if you do not have to drive there, I'd recommend that you do not bring a car.

The area is very urban and very, very gay friendly. I had read that before I came, but was really surprised how gay friendly it is. This is their beach, so just be prepared if you are bringing family members who find that lifestyle unacceptable. When I say it is their beach, I seriously mean it. If you do not respect that lifestyle or live it, this will be quite a surprise. Everyone is super friendly, but you do have to prepare yourself if you are not used to seeing the gay lifestyle outwardly in public. Condado is the gay South Beach, gay Greenwich Village of Puerto Rico.

I adore Puerto Rico and hope to return. However, this hotel is not worth the $89 to $118 ocean view price...not at all. The renovations truly suck because they are not renovating the entire building, hallways, rooms, etc. Go to a major chain, find a deal on hotwire or wherever and do not stay here. They have put no work into the old elevator, which we did not take. They have put minimal work into the hall ways. They need to do a ton more. San Juan is full of boutique hotels that are super fabulous and this one has potential, but I think they are cutting too many corners and will never be able to compete with the other nicer boutique hotels in the area until they take the extra effort in making sure every room is prepared properly and that down to the even the smallest details of each room, things don’t go ignored. No one wants to see no holder for toilet tissue in their bathroom and no soap…that’s simply disgusting and very lazy on their part. If they are not checking the quality of each room after the room has been cleaned, there are no checks and balances, and that shows. It also makes you wonder, how “clean” was the room really? It appeared clean, but as I said if the manager or a housekeeping supervisor is not checking the quality of each room after cleaned, especially in such a small hotel, then this is questionable. I’ve seen that done in other hotels in Puerto Rico where we had to wait for the supervisor to approve the cleanliness and the overall preparation of our room before we could even enter. Again, they are cutting too many corners and whoever the owner is, he or she is not taking the extra time to really make this hotel one of a kind, nor making sure it is comparable to other boutique hotels that make you say, WOW!

Thanks for reading. Good luck.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Kim S
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed August 18, 2011

based off the pictures, I thought I had a steal for the price I was paying. Hotel lights didn't work, didn't get ocean view like I paid for and couldn't get a refund. People were however, the supervisor was conveniently gone when I asked for him. He was in the back relaying information to the person I was speaking with at the front desk. Poof hes gone when I ask for him. The pictures glorify this place. The rooms are tiny which is fine and I'm not at all a high maintenance person so fancy wasn't something I was looking for. I spent 1000.00 that day and went somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trish p
Orlando
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Yes, I realize the staff seems rude and the owners seem a bit conflicted. You have to realize this hotel has been a gay icon for decades and the beach in front is still the big gay beach of the Caribbean. The owners tried to de-gay the place over the past couple of years but now they seem to be embracing their history and as a result the service and facilities are improving to match the new gay resort next door. Give them a chance. Our group of straight but gay-friendly folks just stayed and I can assure you it's well worth the price, the staff is trying, and the bartenders are the very best in the Condado area! Also, drinks are price appropriately...not outlandish like other bars on the beach. So, it's not perfect but definitely worth a visit. I plan to return in the next couple of months.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gringo-in-Paradise
MN
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The pool and patio areas were under construction so we did not get to enjoy those. The facade and hallways looked run down, but the inside of the room was nice. The bathroom was clean and looked newly remodeled. It was small, but we only stayed one night. The location is great. You're right on the beach. There are bars and a dunkin' donuts nearby (very important for coffee addicts like me). For a short stay on a budget, it was great.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple