We arrived at the Acacia for a two night stay in San Juan. Right off the bat, it took us about a half an hour just to check in. There was one attendant at the desk, and he was on the phone the entire time booking rooms for a group tour on a later date. When we were finally recognized, we asked where we could park. We had to fend for ourselves as far as parking our rental car. We were given some tips, and those tips included "don't park here on this street" (Taft) and "don't park one block up because that's a bad neighborhood". Um, thanks? Yup, parking was a nightmare. Another 20 minutes of circling to find a parking spot. Overall, it was an extremely stressful check-in process. Not a good first impression.
We were brought to our room, which was directly across from the "pool" area. It had two glass doors leading right out to the pool, so we had to keep the dark curtains pulled the entire time for some privacy, and there was no other windows or natural light. Our room had two beds, one had sheets with stains. The "king sized" bed was actually two double beds pushed together with king sheets covering both beds (with a noticeable "line" in the center). The bar of soap that was left for us in the bathroom was just filthy, and the wall-mounted hairdryer shot sparks at me when I turned it on. I mean, really.
The only part that we really enjoyed was the downstairs restaurant, with a very nice bartender in the evening (I think his name was Ian) and the breakfast was tasty, too. It's also very close to the beach, and they provide beach towels in the lobby for you to take.
If you are going to enjoy this hotel, you need to go in with a few things in mind:
1. This hotel is a block away from a less than desirable neighborhood.
3. Don't be fooled by the "trendy" reviews. This property is old, and some in-room features are very dated.
2. Don't even think of bring a rental car here, parking is difficult and the staff is unhelpful with this matter.
3. It is a good 15 minute drive from Old San Juan. A $20 cab ride we found since we didn't want to move our rental car from a spot we searched so desperately for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Acacia Boutique Hotel is a restored villa located in Condado, San Juan, literally steps away from the nicest beach on the North Shore. Our tropical rooms have 10' ceilings, terracotta floors & private bathrooms, A/C, and basic cable TV. Free WIFI is available in the Rooms. If you're a food lover you NEED to come to our restaurant NICHE BRISTO that serves breakfast and dinner. It is one of the finest dining experiences in the San Juan area. After dinner, enjoy a relaxing soak in Puerto Rico's largest Jacuzzi/Spa while sipping on a mojito. Sound nice, right? Come and visit us! We're waiting for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Priceline so you can book your Acacia Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acacia Seaside Hotel
- Acacia Seaside San Juan