“The very definition of a boutique hotel ... what a gem!”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
St. Petersburg, Florida
“The very definition of a boutique hotel ... what a gem!”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed at Acacia for 3 nights for our first trip to Puerto Rico. This place is gorgeous! Spanish architecture with multi-levels and walkways between rooms. The director and all of the other staff were so accommodating. They help with anything you need (cabs, places to go, etc) and are on a first name basis. Our king room was a perfect size with a large tv and private bath (all of them have private bathes) and the bed was comfy with soft, light linens. We read reviews about kings being two twins stuck together, but that was not the case. Our room had a private back balcony, but many of them had front balconies overlooking the HUGE hot tub. The tub is amazing to say the least. It's the largest one in San Juan with jets everywhere and two waterfalls. The view from the pool and most balconies is a partial oceanview. The tall tower The hotel is so close to the beach, which is great for walking back easily. Pamela's on the beach is just east (a 10 minute beach walk) where you can eat in the sand. They have outdoor showers to rinse off, towels and cucumber/fruit water available in the lobby, and on the ground level is this delicious restaurant called Niche ... let's just say the food is unbelievable. Best meal in San Juan. Some tips to note to travelers: this is not a cookie cutter resort with all of the amenities. What you get with this place is a cozy, comfy little getaway. It is on the east end of Condado, so a bit away from the happening bars and restaurants and a bit further from Old San Juan. However, its close enough for long walks or short cab rides and is worth the peacefulness, service, food, and beach location! There is a really cool deli (Kasalta - that President Obama visited) and other restaurants to the east that are easy to walk to from Acacia. We highly recommend this place and expect to stay again in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tall tower are further to walk to the hot tub, but are closer to the roof deck. Rooms...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Finnish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Acacia provided our home in San Juan for one week, and it couldn't have been nicer. The property itself is cute and cozy, tucked away on a quiet street about 20 meters from the beach. We emailed the hotel early and asked for a partial ocean view (the best they've got, considering an ugly condo splits the view between the balcony and the ocean), and got it--for no extra cost. Excellent idea. Sitting out on the balcony was a joy, whether waking up to the fresh ocean breeze, resting in the hot afternoon, or listening to the coquis (P.R. tree frogs that chirp and chirp and whistle and sing and chirp and chirp...) with a cocktail at night. I believe all the rooms have a balcony, but it was extra nice looking out over the beach and the sea. Everyone at reception was helpful and kind (we ran the gamut, staying 7 nights), whether providing advice or a last-minute rental car. [Speaking of rental cars, go with Target, a P.R. company just across the expressway. They were prompt and competitively priced and easy. Enterprise, with whom we originally made a reservation, failed to show up with our car and then "lost" our reservation.] The staff at Niche, the hotel restaurant, were kind and helpful too. As for Niche, it's expensive, but we enjoyed two meals there anyway. The giant jacuzzi was nice too, but more of a gimmick than anything. Free Wi-Fi worked great on my tablet, and the TV options were just fine with lots of English programming. As for the neighborhood, Condado Beach is gorgeous. Swam every morning and afternoon in the rolling, warm surf (a bit seaweedy at times, but ever so refreshing and fun).

Tips: for good local eats, go to Kasalta (left a few blocks on McLeary www.kasalta.com), Santurce BBQ (a great little joint on Degetau off McLeary), Tijuana's (great Mexican food in the frou-frou area right on Ashford), or Bebo's for mofongo (but little else: poor service & atmosphere). Mofongo is a must eat while in P.R. Coffee is good and cheap at Cafe del Loto just left on Loaiza, or at Kasalta. The SuperMax grocery store on de Deigo provided us with plenty of water, DonQ Rum, snacks, etc., to keep up happy while in the room. The 53 and 21 buses run down Ashford to Old San Juan (the gem of the city). The fare is 75 cents (bring quarters), board them at the 'parada' stops. Easy and cheap way to get to Old San Juan (taxis are much much too expensive). Note: the 53 and 21 buses stop running at 9pm, but you can still get back on the 1 (? not sure of the number, but ask how to get to the east end of Condado), which takes you just a few blocks from Ashford. Took the ferry from Old San Juan (50 cents) to Contano for the Bacardi Rum tour, which was fun. Can't say enough about how lovely Old San Juan is. Just soak it all in... Other advice? Rented the car from Target for 2 days; went to Caguas for a baseball game (awesome) and El Yunque to hike the rainforest (also awesome, a must do). Driving was typical of driving anywhere, and it was easy to navigate. Parked on Taft in front of the hotel both nights for free. [Technically there's no parking allowed, but everyone parks there anyway. Tip: park on the Acacia side of the street. If the unlikely happens and tickets are handed out, the fine is much lower on that side.] It was a $20 cab ride to and from the airport, but well worth it. There's really no other option, anyway. Don't forget to get Duty Free on your way out of P.R. It doesn't matter that you're still in the United States. What else? Have fun, say hi to the coquis, and say gracias, adios! on your way out.

Room Tip: Email early for an ocean view room. Same price, just a prettier view from the balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jakevich
Hong Kong
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed altogether 3 nights at Acacia before and after the Caribbean cruise. All the staff and owner at Acacia had been extremely helpful and courteous, especially Chad who was very enthusiastic. The hotel and facilities looked exactly like the picture. Beds were comfortable although our twin room was a bit small and basic. There were free WiFi in the hotel and quite many TV channels, though the TV was a bit old and small. There is no elevator in the hotel and if your luggage is heavy, you might have problem carrying them up the narrow staircase if only female receptionists are on duty. The hotel is very near to the beach as well as bus stop (no. 53 bus) which takes you to old San Juan at $0.75. Note that only coins are accepted for each single passenger as the system doesn’t accept notes. There is no parking space here and limited parking space at their sister hotel At Wind Chimes.

The hotel has a small restaurant called the Niche Restaurant. The young chef made it all the way to semi-final of the Master Chef Latino competition on Nov 27. Although he lost, he was still one of the top 4 chefs in Puerto Rico. Food at the restaurant was excellent, loaf of homemade bread was hot and crispy, onion soup with zucchini was unconventional but tasty and big, lobster mango salad at US$16 was superb and excellent value (with half a lobster tail) and 16-inch pizza was thin, crispy and delicious. If the chef did not need to participate in the competition, we would have taken dinner at the restaurant for the 3rd evening. The assistant Donna was an extremely nice woman. She suggested us to pack the pizza which could not be finished and tell the morning chef to reheat for us as breakfast. Also the night when we came back late from Biobay excursion, the restaurant accommodated us to finish dinner at 11.10 p.m. instead of closing at 10.30 p.m. which was highly appreciated.

As the hotel is a bit old, if the shower head and toilet door can be fixed at room 102, it would be even a more pleasant stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Those with heavy luggages should request for lower floors.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank cutiedoggy13
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Although I was happy with the place, it was the people who made our stay at the Acacia enjoyable and memorable. Claudio, the morning front desk manager, was an incredibly friendly, tentative, resourceful staff member who went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. He arranged for me to take a bio bay kayaking tour with a reputable company. The experience was one I'll never forget and I thank him immensely for the suggestion and arrangement. He was informative and kind and took the time to talk to us: we learned a lot about Puerto Rican culture from what he shared with us. (Charlene, Chad, and even the Chef were also very nice and helpful!)(There was, however, one front desk clerk in the morning - European accent - who was very rude, didn't seem to understand my English, and seemed put off by my questions which he answered as simply as he could. He misinformed me regarding how long it took to drive somewhere. He was not hospitable!)

Being a boutique hotel Acacia is not an appropriate place for children, a great place for couples and friends; however, the staff was very kid-friendly and accommodating to my three year old and me. Claudio was wonderful with my son: he's naturally good with kids. The restaurant was to posh to eat at with my son, but one evening when we didn't want to go out to eat, they made a gourmet pizza and brought it up to the fourth floor roof deck for us to have dinner. It was perfect! My son had ample space to eat and move around and we didn't have to worry about bothering any nearby couples out for a romantic dinner. We could hear the ocean waves, count the stars, and listen to the "coqui" frogs.

Because I dislike large cookie-cutter hotel chains, casinos, franchise resturaunts, and loud clubs, this hotel was perfect. It had personality: friendly staff, cool chill-out music, refreshing cucumber/orange water at the front desk, residential location... It wasn't directly on the beach, but one apartment building away from the beach. (Maybe 13 steps from the hotel to the sand?) You can see the beach from the Jacuzzi on the second floor and the roof deck on the fourth floor.

The beach is clean, quiet, spacious, peaceful, not crowded... The water, bathwater warm, was a bit rough to swim in. I saw some incredible rainbows. Palm trees with coconuts. Early in the morning you'll see a personal trainer working out 2 or 3 local people. If I had stayed longer, I would have liked to have found out about his fee and tried to sign up: it actually looked like fun and not work. He had some very creative ways of getting people in shape. (There's also a local yoga studio close by.).

I have to suggest two local places to eat, walking distance to the hotel that my family and I enjoyed. One was a local place called Cafe Bebos: a clean, family-friendly, restaurant with good, fast service, informative servers and typical puerto-rican food. The second place is a bakery with good coffee called Kasalta. In the morning you'll find all the locals gathered around drinking coffee, eating breakfast, reading the newspaper, and engaged in lively conversation. In the evening this turns into a place were people eat dinner with a bottle of wine.

A couple of blocks from the hotel I came across a local shop that makes custom-made bathing suits and bikinis. For $45 dollars I had a custom-made bikini made for me and they did it in one day! I wouldn't have come across a place like this in San Juan or in Isla Verde.

A couple of suggestions for the hotel:
1. Bathrobes!
2. If possible, window screens (I would love to open the windows at night without having tropical insects fly in.).
3. Update the website: I didn't know there were fridges in the room and was worried about how I would be able to buy and store milk form my son.
4. Update the phone number on the business cards.
5. Put a couple of chairs and small tables on the roof deck for a place to have breakfast.
6. A tour of the hotel at check-in: I didn't know there was an outdoor shower for rinsing off from the beach until a couple of days into my stay.
7. (Tourist) maps of the island

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
The Colony, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Our biggest problem was they said they didn't have my booking. Even though i had a printout of my booking reservation. After much confusion they gave us a room. Later they told me they found what they though was our booking and charged my cc 575$ When i left they charged me the room rate and told me all would be fixed. I get home and check my cc bill and there are of course 2 charges . Now i am trying to get that money back and of course the hotel says they have no record of the 2nd charge. Room was nice, spa is miniature. Close to beach and in the middle of a okay area. You can walk to some cool places down the road and its safe at night.They need to get their bookings and charges in order. Why they would charge me 575$ when i was only booked for one night at a rate of 176$ is beyond me. I have spoken to 4 people so far and still it hasn't been fixed. Stay at you own risk.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank candegurrl25
Montana
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My review is a little late, we traveled in early Augusust of 11'. I felt the need to review:
Upon our arrival here, we were treated soooo rudely by the lady at the front desk. We think it's because when we first arrived we were drenched from the rain forest and in hiking clothes. It's NOT ok. We arrived in the early evening and went to check in., we were treated very rudely by the lady at the front desk who was just plain mean. I was appalled and we almost left right there. Unfortunately I had already paid for my room. She was the most unprofessional person I encountered on my trip to Puerto Rico. She acted as though we werent good enough to be staying there and when I asked where I could park my car she told me they didn't have any parking. Luckily, I had printed out my confirmation email stating I had requested and paid for the parking. She eventually reluctantly 'found' us a spot. When we went over to the sister hotel to park our car, they were expecting us. Our car was the ONLY one there for the next two days. Out of parking huh? If I were her boss and whitnessed that, I would have fired her on the spot (my boyfriend and I are both attorneys in the U.S. and love how she judged us by our gym clothes). She seemed to warm up a little bit after we had showered and changed into clothes for 'going out'. Seems as though she would know better.
The next day we were LUCKY enough to have a WONDERFUL host. If it were not for this man (who's name I cannot remember) our stay would have been based on our first impression. We had went to the castillo's that day and ended at pinky's with sammies to go and a bottle of wine. When my boyfriend went to find platic cups he presented us with plastic wine glasses! He was so very nice and let us take them to beach for our dinner and in the hot tub later. He was outstanding! So friendly.
The hotel itself: Actually I loved it. The hot tub is very nice, great size, and very peaceful in the morning. you can see the ocean from it while sipping your cucumber water. The beach is literally just down the street, not even a block away. The location was also nice (we had a rental car), it was quick to the busier areas, walk to pinkie's (sooo yummy!) and the rooms were all you need. Small but clean and comfortable. We would stay here again but if the desk receptionist that was rude appeared again, I would happily give her a piece of my mind.
Also, we did not have dinner at niche but breakfast, lox are better at pinkies

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sceneMT
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Good location and value. Close to the beach. Walking distance to restaurants. Feels more like you've rented a flat.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple