“San Juan Beach Hotel, Condado, San Juan Puerto Rico”

San Juan Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Currently staying at the Hotel, have been here 3 days. Yes, it is older than most on the beach, and yes there is a mild mold smell. Keep in mind it is right on the beach and the salt air adds to that issue.
The entire staff is very helpful and friendly. The Hotel is currently upgrading with new paint, upgrading rooms, and working on the issues this hotel has had in the past. There is new construction and upgrading going on everywhere.

It is not 5 star hotel by any means, but It is well worth the value as you located close to most major attractions. Ask for an ocean view room when booking, you won't be disappointed.

I'll be here for one more week and will write an overall evaluation before I leave.

For what you will pay for this Hotel will save you considerable $$$ if you book in one of it's neighbors.

Overall---Good value.

Feel free to contact me, while I am still here.
Gene
719-252-6980

Room Tip: ask for ocean view, high up.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gene C
Ruben V, General Manager at San Juan Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

We do appreciate your time to let us know how your stay was. I can guarantee you that we are working very hard not only in the rooms and public areas but in the service that is given to each one of our guest.

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews and ignored them. Upon entrance you're excited at the modern beautiful vestibule. There were a NUMBER of issues but what set me off was the FIGHT we had to put up to get fresh WASHCLOTHS and small towels everyday! Unreal. My agency was ready to move me to another hotel, I just did NOT want to go through all of that. Eder, the first front desk person gave us a bogus voucher for dinner. Concierge NEVER answered the phone on the first or second ring. I could go on and on. But the location was great and the Perurican Lounge downstairs was pretty, had great drinks and the pool was very nice too, along with the view.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank AricaRouse
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We decided to try this hotel because one of our favorite restaurants is on the first floor. The room was adequate and had an incredible ocean view with the water lapping the beach below. I did like the fact that the hotel has an environmentally friendly policy regarding changing sheets, towels, etc. However, this is the first hotel I have stayed in for many years that didn't have cable but some poor satellite system with four channels and the breakfast room only had Fox new on its TV. Another surprise was if you wanted a refrigerator it would cost you $5 dollars a day to rent!! These guys are learning from the airlines! So if you don't mind not having cable or a fridge the place is ok.
The management leaves something to be desired as well. We would probably go back for the sea view. The air conditioning was good though

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

All hotels in the Condado area are over-priced. That said, the San Juan Beach Hotel is not such a bad deal. It’s not great, but it’s not bad. Compared with its neighbors, like the Condado Hilton, it is small, badly-maintained, and poorly managed. But it’s cheaper. Some of the staff are enthusiastic and courteous; others are bitter and nasty. If you want quiet, make sure you ask for higher floors; we were on the 4th floor (403) and could still hear the pulsing bass from the bar-restaurant-pool area well into the wee hours. On the positive side, you do not hear your neighbors or people passing in the hall or the noisy ice machine two doors down. It is a pet-friendly hotel, which for me (an animal lover) is not a bad thing. I did notice that some people were taken aback when having to ride down in the small elevator with two full-sized boxers. I loved it. The room is spartan but large. Would it be possible to put some cheap art work on the walls so it doesn’t look so scary at night? During the day, the light and amazing ocean view compensate. The humidity is a problem in all beach-front accomodations. This room severly stank of mold. The devious housekeeping service almost made sure the beds were not made during our 2-day stay. In terms of cleanliness, I noticed that after walking barefoot (in the tropics) around the room for an evening, the water around my feet ran black in the shower. The paint was peeling inside the room, and the cloudy windows hadn’t been cleaned on the outside for a long time…long enough to build up salt and to corrode the metalic frame around the window and a/c unit, which worked well despite. The $7 breakfast is just what you pay for: bagels, lots of sugary stuff, cereal, weak coffee, juice, and an ocean view. Nothing more, nothing less.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up if you want it quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ana K
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We got to the hotel late, but I had called ahead to make sure they knew. I don't think the front desk agent noted it because they seemed to be surprised that someone was checking in so late. I look around the lobby and it seems nice. The agent who checked us in was helpful and gave us tips about the area as well as where to park (because their lot was full). We walk away from the desk and it already takes a turn for the worse: one of the elevators is very badly broken--you can see inside it, but one of the doors is closed. We took the stairs as much as we could, even though a sign says an alarm will sound (there was no alarm).

When we got to our floor I realized that all the reviews weren't exaggerating. It feels like a different hotel. There are paint stains on the floor. and everything is that weird popcorn ceiling texture. The carpet is extremely thin and doesn't look clean at all. We get to our room and it is worse. The room smells of mold. It's really bad. It has carpet instead of tiles like in the photos, but the carpet is extremely thin and you can tell it wasn't vacuumed after the last guest checked out. We weren't given a floor towel before we checked in. There was only one nightstand and no other tables and no chairs in the room.

We reserved an ocean-view room. The view of the ocean would have been great if you could see out of the windows. They were very dirty.

I could go on, but I would rather say save yourself the trouble. You won't want to deal with the mold and dangerous elevator.

Room Tip: Maybe call ahead and ask questions about the room that they're going to give you. Pray that you...
2  Thank Dennis T
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was nervous about staying here after reading terrible reviews but there are ways to avoid a "moldy" or unclean room--ASK TO SEE YOUR ROOM FIRST. For $99 a night with a beautiful ocean view & a spacious room, it was a bargain. The lobby & downstairs restaurant was really nice & was filled with people. Though our room was large, it still needed some work-it was freshly painted and had a small paint odor and the bathroom was clearly remodeled recently as there were not any shelves in the shower and the shower knobs were backwards. We found out from a staff member that the original owner of the hotel had passed on his business and the successor had fallen short on the job until the owner passed away recently. Since then improvements have been slow but at least imrovements are being made on this large beach front hotel.
I also read that guests experienced poor attitudes. I only ran into one staff member that was less than welcoming but our first contact was so helpful to us and continued telling us how to save money in San Juan.
The continental breakfast is $7 and it is not worth $7. There is a Denny's down the street.
Bottom line to future visitors, lower your expectations-this hotel is not a resort- and realize that this hotel has a lot of potential!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you will be staying in.
1  Thank Hillary J
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My last night here...my husband planned a weekend gateway...only 3 night we found this deal with this hotel, which was not cheap...everything here is horrible...dirty room, smells, no refrigerators, even a small motel has a refrigerator. Breakfast???? How in the world they call it breakfest. Very disappointed..do not come to this hotel. We has a rain . Last night the water was getting into my room through the window, the hallway was completely wet....today the smells is horrible...DO NOT COME HERE...

1  Thank Nadla G