“Good location but...”

San Juan Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed one night after an 8-day drive trip on Vieques. We were informed there is some construction, but our room was only so so. Looked like they just moved the beds in but forgot decorations, etc. The carpet was probably on the list to be replaced. The bathroom and linens were great. The lobby/restaurant/bar employees were great. Unfortunately I left a jacket there and called as soon as we got home to see if housekeeping found it. Yes, they did, called me back to get my address so they could COD. I appreciated the quick phone reply from the housekeeping manager but the jacket was never mailed and since then the manager is no longer employed there.
Disappointed : (

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy D
There are newer reviews for San Juan Beach Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Pool was green ,did not use it and the weather was really hot,photos of the seaside pool. Never again will I ignore reviews on TripAdvisor. I spent two days with no housekeeping service,filthy covers on cushions at poolside, no compensation for lack of service.

Room Tip: 712 was Average.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank William A
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have stayed here prior to departing on a cruise. It's well located on Candado Beach and is a very good value compared to many hotels in San Juan during the peak season. It is not a luxurious hotel, but it is clean, well located and a good value. I will stay here again, particularly for short stays.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bob S
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I read the poor reviews but was swayed by the pretty photos of the seaside pool. Never again will I ignore reviews on TripAdvisor. I spent two days with no housekeeping service, had to change rooms due to filthy first room, filthy covers on cushions at poolside, no compensation for lack of service. I could go on and on. I actually feel sorry for the staff that apparently is overextended. Owners just don't hire enough people to keep up such a large hotel. It must have been nice in its bygone days. But now it's a poorly run poor excuse for a hotel. Buyer beware!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VisionaryAlly
Wanda R, Guest Relations Manager at San Juan Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Visionary Ally

We are so sorry you have experience all. We are a small property that has no support of big chains, but we do have enough staff. If you stay two or three days and keep your Do Not Disturb Sign outside the door, and take it out after 4pm, unfortunately by that time there's a little probability that your room will be cleaned. But if clean towels, amenities or extra linen were requested, they are available 24/7. We appreciate your review, and are working on the maintenance of each room and the general area. Came next time to visit, and you will see a difference. Regards!!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Don't stay here! You might get sick!! There was mold everywhere, the carpet was dirty, furniture had stains and the room smelled really bad. We stayed out until 2am because we did not know how to stay in that smelly damp room. Front desk personnel were not nice at all the rest of the staff was nicer. The lobby and the outdoor deck look very nice but believe it is a trap. Rooms were nothing like the photos of the website. We stayed at DaHouse at Old San Juan for $90 per night and the rooms were way more clean and service was much better.

Room Tip: Just dont stay there. DaHause and Hotel Casa Blanca at Old San Juan are around the same price (mayb...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marla R
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a very inexpensive hotel in a great location. You get what you pay for. Its on the beach, but its rocky so you really can't swim in the ocean there. There is a pool which is nice, however, they could clean up around the pool area a little. The lobby and the 2nd floor is gorgeous and the staff is always cleaning it. They host weddings, etc. The rooms, are, well, just average. Basic cable TV in the room, which was fine. The linens and the bathroom was clean, but we wouldn't walk barefoot on the carpet. It had some stains on it, that who knows what they were. There is no balcony, just 2 windows together. The curtains suck but that's OK, they kept on coming off the hooks when we would pull them shut. Parking across the street is really expenisve, but if you go down 200 yards is a lot on the right for $8 a day. That's a bargain. They have a breakfast for like $7.00 daily. We only did it once. There was cereal, yogurt, mini muffins and mini pastires and bananas. Basic, but absolutely fine. If I'm on a strict budget, I would stay there again. The staff was really nice. But I think I'll save my money to stay at the Marriott next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

We appreciate your stay with us, and taking out of your time to write a positive review of our property. We are a small property owned by a local business man with no support of big chains on our business plan. We hope you came back to the property and experience for yourself the changes and amendments that we are working on. See you soon!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

A nightmare! The bathroom had hair all over the floor. The shower curtain blows towards you when you shower. The toilet paper was wet. The room smelled of paint and there is no ventilation in the room. The smell of paint gave me a HUGE headache. The bed sheets, blanket and pillow cases are wet and damp. I woke up in the middle of the night with my head feeling like it wanted to explode from the paint smell. I couldn't breathe in the room. The front office people said the room was painted over 1 month ago but the fumes where still in the room. This hotel has water marks on the ceiling. The carpet is damp and wet. This hotel is bad for your health. I will NEVER stay here again! I could not sleep and was uncomfortable and couldn't wait to LEAVE and get out of there! After waking up in the middle of the night I actually did leave and go outside to catch the fresh air. Front desk girl/guy is so RUDE and talks back to you. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple