“Great for the price”

San Juan Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a very inexpensive hotel in a great location. You get what you pay for. Its on the beach, but its rocky so you really can't swim in the ocean there. There is a pool which is nice, however, they could clean up around the pool area a little. The lobby and the 2nd floor is gorgeous and the staff is always cleaning it. They host weddings, etc. The rooms, are, well, just average. Basic cable TV in the room, which was fine. The linens and the bathroom was clean, but we wouldn't walk barefoot on the carpet. It had some stains on it, that who knows what they were. There is no balcony, just 2 windows together. The curtains suck but that's OK, they kept on coming off the hooks when we would pull them shut. Parking across the street is really expenisve, but if you go down 200 yards is a lot on the right for $8 a day. That's a bargain. They have a breakfast for like $7.00 daily. We only did it once. There was cereal, yogurt, mini muffins and mini pastires and bananas. Basic, but absolutely fine. If I'm on a strict budget, I would stay there again. The staff was really nice. But I think I'll save my money to stay at the Marriott next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Wanda R, Guest Relations Manager at San Juan Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

We appreciate your stay with us, and taking out of your time to write a positive review of our property. We are a small property owned by a local business man with no support of big chains on our business plan. We hope you came back to the property and experience for yourself the changes and amendments that we are working on. See you soon!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

A nightmare! The bathroom had hair all over the floor. The shower curtain blows towards you when you shower. The toilet paper was wet. The room smelled of paint and there is no ventilation in the room. The smell of paint gave me a HUGE headache. The bed sheets, blanket and pillow cases are wet and damp. I woke up in the middle of the night with my head feeling like it wanted to explode from the paint smell. I couldn't breathe in the room. The front office people said the room was painted over 1 month ago but the fumes where still in the room. This hotel has water marks on the ceiling. The carpet is damp and wet. This hotel is bad for your health. I will NEVER stay here again! I could not sleep and was uncomfortable and couldn't wait to LEAVE and get out of there! After waking up in the middle of the night I actually did leave and go outside to catch the fresh air. Front desk girl/guy is so RUDE and talks back to you. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jewels900
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stay 2 nights. They said to realized 2 check in, 2 check out. No free parking. Hostile persons. No cleaning room. No towells. Price the same of 4 stars¡ The televisión has old analog one 19 inches. Local beer Who price is 1 dollar cost 4.50 dollar

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Miguel G
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I get it, its cheap and its on the condado strip, but this hotel is just terrible. Dont be fooled by the pretty exteriors; the bedrooms are dirty, smelly, have stained rugs and the air conditioners are barely making it til next month. As a PR resident, ive been to almost every hotel on the area and i can assure you, theres better deals. Best to pay a little more for quality than to have to deal with these filthy rooms and service.

One thing i do recommend is the restaurant on the lobby, Perurrican. Great food and service. Its a shame theyre on THAT hotels lobby.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank HotelManiak
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Issues;
Lack of hot water, multiple water leaks into multiple rooms, general uncleanliness of the room, lack of empathy from the front desk for our issues, dishonesty when explaining why something does not work, broken, or not provided, false representation of the hotel rooms.

More detail. Sorry this is so long.
When I arrived the staff was excellent. The check in was seamless and easy. I went up to the room and was disappointed after seeing the beautiful lobby. The room was damp and musty smelling. The carpet was dingy and looked like it was original from when the hotel was built. The walls were dirty and the air conditioner was laboring to keep the room comfortable. Knowing I booked one of the cheapest hotels on the avenue I decided to stick it out. I turned on the TV and was surprised that while they used satellite I was limited to only 15 or so channels. Three of them were shopping networks. It really did not matter, I was not planning on staying in the room that much anyway. However, I do like to watch the weather so I can plan my day. Especially since it rained the entire first day of my visit. BTW the weather channel was not one of the subscribed channels. I rented a car from the airport so I did use their valet service. The service was terrific and the employees were attentive. I went to dinner that first night away from the hotel. I returned late and went to my room. Shortly after returning I walked to the bathroom in my bare feet and I noticed the carpet was very wet by the closet. I also noticed water running down the closet door. I looked into the closet and on the ceiling was a large bubble of water waiting to burst. I looked into the bathroom and was shocked to see that the base of the bathtub was filthy and orange in color. I called down to the front desk and told the desk agent that the room had a leak and there was water leaking from the ceiling in the closet. With only this information he cut me off and replied that when the shower is used the moisture builds up in the room and makes the carpet feel damp. I explained that I had not used the shower yet and that the water was flowing from the room above. Reluctantly he sent someone up to check out the leak. After 10 minutes a maintenance employee arrived and I showed him the leak. With a shocked look he explained that he had to go down to the lobby to tell the desk agent and see about moving me to another room. Another 10 minutes later I received a phone call from the desk agent. He explained that they were moving me to another room. The maintenance employee arrived with the luggage trolley and I gathered my things for the move. We got on the elevator and went down one floor. He stopped at the room that was just below the room I moved out of and started to open the door. I stopped him and mentioned that since the room above has a leak from the room above that it is only a matter of time until the water starts leaking into this room. He agreed and called the desk agent. After they spoke it was decided I would move into the room next to that one. It was after midnight before I was finally in the new room. This whole incident took almost an hour. I went to shower that night. The bathroom was somewhat clean except for a dirty mirror. There was no adjusting the temperature of the water. I was comfortable for me but it might be too hot for some. Also, there were no washcloths available. The new room was really a step down from the previous room. Again the carpet was filthy, the walls had stains, and the TV had very poor reception because the cable attached to it was broken. (When I mentioned the TV to the desk agent he tried to blame the reception on the weather. This was not true because my friends in the room next to me had great reception on their TV.) So now I was down to just 5 channels. The next day was uneventful because I was out of the hotel all day. When I returned that evening I checked the room. The beds had been made and the towels had been changed out. The mirror was still dirty and no washcloths were provided. Since I was in a hurry I mentioned to the desk agent, as I was heading to dinner, I would like a washcloth. I received a nod. The next day my friends and I went to the rain forest and rode ATV’s. We returned late in the afternoon. Upon our arrival we were surprised to see a letter from the hotel explaining that the hot water was going to be turned off from 6pm until the next morning. Of course everyone who was staying in the hotel was trying to shower before the deadline so there was no hot water at 5pm. When I arrived at the room to shower and covered in mud I was very disappointed to find there were no washcloths. Also, earlier that morning I wrote a note on the dirty mirror hoping housekeeping would clean it. Housekeeping did not clean the mirror or leave a washcloth. I called down to the front desk and asked them to have housekeeping to send up a washcloth. After about 20 minutes the housekeeper arrived with two. After I washed I met my friends in the lobby. The topic of discussion was the lack of hot water. One of my friends asked why there were no washcloths and the desk agent first acted like he did not know what one was. He kept calling it a bath mat. We showed him what we were taking about and he then said they did not have any in the entire hotel. Of course I had to mention that I was just provided with two just 30 minutes earlier. He got nervous and looked at the housekeeper who was standing next to the front desk, spoke to her and she said they did have washcloths. I don’t know if they got theirs, but I did not get any replacements for my entire stay. The next day we were out of the hotel all day again. When we returned it was pouring rain. When we got into our rooms there was water coming in through the walls near the air conditioning units. The paint was bubbling up and the floor was wet. Since it was the night before we were going to check out we decided to talk to the desk agent and express our concerns. Also, we mentioned that the room photos were nothing like the rooms we stayed in. The desk agent explained that the room photo on the website is a suite on the 10th floor. Also, he explained that the hotel was undergoing a remodeling. After explaining our dissatisfaction and him telling us there is not much he can do he called the General Manager and was told to comp our valet parking for the 4 days.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ira F
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel looks great when you first walk in, but once you walk into the room it’s a totally different story. They need serious renovation. I was very disappointed when I saw the rug with stains everywhere, hard bed sheets and old fashion TV. The room looked old and sad. You can find a better hotel within the area for about the same price. Now the independent restaurant was wonderful. If you like seafood, this is a great place to dine and to relax as it’s in front of the ocean. Will never come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paddleboarding123
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My Father and I stayed here from 4/30 - 5/5/13. We had no complaints as we literally only slept at hotel and visited pool area 1 morning. Room 907 on 9 floor was clean and faced ocean. I read previous reviews regarding musty smell bit did not smell any odors. Would have been nice if lobby restaurant was open for breakfast as we had to find breakfast nearby. Overall a good stay at a reasonably priced hotel on the Condado strip!

Room Tip: Select a high floor ocean view room away from elevator
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family