“Good Location for the Price”

San Juan Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
BOYNTON BEACH
“Good Location for the Price”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is in Condado on the beach. The lobby presents well and there is a nice Peruvian Restaurant on site. The rooms are dated but ours was large and clean. The pool area had decent lounge chairs for enjoying the sun but the other furnishings had soiled cushions and were not that appealing. There is an outdoor bar and restaurant adjoining the pool. Now the pool itself was clean and nice although not heated. The location is great for enjoying the Condado area with all of its restaurants, bars and casinos. We had a 2 night stay prior to a cruise and for the price compared to others in Condado it was just fine. Also, after the cruise, even though we were no longer guests, they stored our luggage for free because we had a late flight..a day in San Juan sure beat hanging around the airport all day. It is a very average hotel that is sufficient for a short stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gypsiewoman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Metairie, Louisiana
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Wonderful ocean view, and that is the best I can say. Old indoor/ outdoor carpet in room. Rusted grommets on shower curtain, broken and rusted drain in bathtub. Tile broken at entry to bathroom where I cut my toe entering. NO coffee in room, and restaurant MAY open at noon if you care to wait that long. No room service, didn't even see a coke machine . Had to request a refrigerator be placed in room. Staff sweet and helpful, but cannot make up for the lacking of the hotel. The bed was the most uncomfortable I have seen. Not staying there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you want a basic hotel and will be spending most of your time outside of the hotel, I'd choose it. Price of hotel is decent too. Other than the above, staff was decent. I didn't expect too much from the hotel given the previous reviews and my short stay, but I've been to better hotels with better quality of service and better rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nicolettalabella
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We chose this hotel based on price and location. San Juan Beach is located in the Condado area of San Juan and is within walking distance of many great restaurants, beaches and a short free trolley or bus (.75) ride away from Old San Juan. We saw many scary reviews and pictures of this hotel on this site; but our overall experience was fantastic!

We arrived on a redeye flight and had called in advance to see if we could check in early; at the time they said they could not guarantee that, but we could store our bags there until check in. We were surprised to find that although our king room was not yet ready, the staff allowed us to check in early to another room so we could catch a nap and freshen up until our room was ready. The first room had 2 double beds and an ocean view. The room was in good condition except for old, torn shades and a slightly musty smell. The TV was new, the bedding clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom had been renovated and was in great condition.

Prior to checking in to our other room we had brunch at the hotel restaurant, Perurrican. We ate a few more meals at the restaurant, which were excellent. Our second room (a king, ocean view) was on the top floor. The room had a mini fridge, and had been completely renovated. During our stay the entire staff was attentive and helpful. What I really liked was if they didn't know an answer to a question, they found an answer and were prompt with a response.

The pool area is nice and maintained. The beach at the hotel is not conducive to swimming as it is really rocky, but the beach at the La Concha and the Marriott down the street are great. The other hotels don't care if you use their beaches, and the beach staff at the La Concha is very friendly. It didn't matter to me that we couldn't swim at the beach at our hotel, because we were getting such a great deal at San Juan Beach.

I would highly recommend this hotel, and would stay there again in a second. I am a flight attendant and have stayed in hotels all over the world; San Juan Beach is a fantastic value and has the amenities I would expect at it's price point. I found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and well maintained. The customer service was on par with hotels that are far more expensive. I hope to return very soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank flygirlpam
Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My room had a ocean view. The lcd and a/c didn't have a remote control. Downstairs they have a Peruvian rest., coldstone (ice cream store) and a boutique. Currently they are redecorating the Hotel. They don't have a parking so I paid $18 for valet parking. I was on a short stay for a concert. If you need an ice maker or a microwave they have it in a different floor. I didn't go to the pool but I can see it from my room. It's a good location and you can walk for whatever you want.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brenda S
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed in the San Beach Hotel before and the difference is like night and day, noticeable that it has gone through a change in administration, revamping, renovation etc.. It was a true and relaxing stay nothing negative to comment. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stevensville, Maryland
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I read previous reviews so knew about the issues with this hotel, but for the price we took a chance. First the positives: affordable, great location, great onsite restaurant, nice lobby, staff professional and friendly, comfortable beds, great ocean views and sounds from room! The beach outfront is rocky and rough, walk down the beach a bit for better beach experience. Unfortunately the negatives overtook the positives here. The room was so humid everything stayed wet, very uncomfortable feeling, it was like the a/c unit was not being properly drained to outside. There was constant dripping sound that kept me awake all night. There was rusty metal and mold everywhere and all the furniture was scratched or dented. The hotel is being renovated (needs it badly!) and noise started at 7 and went til 10 pm sometimes. There was guy pressure washing the pool area tiles one day and he was just letting all the debris go right in the pool, yuck! I would only stay here again after the complete renovation and after reading some decent reviews of the upgrade. Perhaps a diamond in the rough?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family