“Lived up to all my expections!!”

Casa Del Caribe Inn
Ranked #19 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
Greasby, United Kingdom
“Lived up to all my expections!!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This B&B is brilliant! Excellent hotel to stay prior to Caribbean cruise. Not only does it have a locked entrance gate but it is so welcoming with the garden area, tables and chairs, all my family [6 adults and 2 children] loved the ambience whether sitting out enjoying a good choice of continental breakfast or a glass of wine in the evening [our own] listening to the cocqui frog with the grandchildren trying to find which tree they were hiding in, such a great atmosphere.The grandchildren never did find one unfortunately although my son and daughter in law said they saw a very little green frog through their shower window on the tree outside.
We had 3 rooms and all were large with huge comfy beds, aircon and a large overhead fan, which I loved, no problems with shower or hot water. I loved the bedroom furniture and decor in the rooms, to me that added character and interest instead of the ultra modern flat pack furniture in some B&B hotels.
Casa Caribe location in Condado is within short walking distance of beach, shops and restaurants. Taxi drive to old San Juan doesnt take long, didnt bother with bus as apparently it arrives "maybe in an hour if at all". We were lucky to get taxi that catered for all 8 of us, recommend barter a price before getting into taxi to your destination. Not far in taxi to Pan american cruise terminal.
All Casa Caribe staff were friendly and helpful especially Ed [manager] who waited up for us at hotel when we arrived from airport on late flight, which was good for us as we did not have to go to sister hotel. Ed managed to contact the taxi company and get my granddaughters little suitcase returned immediately as she had left it in taxi, unfortunately we didnt have Ed to help on return journey home from Caribbean cruise as she did the same thing but drivers were not so honest!
Ed, even at short notice arranged for us to have a full day out with E&B tours the next day, the guide was named Hector and he was such a nice person, it was a pleasure to be with him. We went to the rain forest El Yungue, a beach in the afternoon and the Bio bay in the evening. Must admit I expected more from bio bay but the kayak was an experience! My son [who has special needs] and granddaughter were frightened in their kayaks and asked to go back to land, be aware that you still have to pay for the trip and as Sienna was with her dad/my son in law he had to miss the experience as he was rowing their kayak.
We stayed at Casa Caribe from 5-8th March 2014 and would definately recommend this B&B hotel and would stay again if we ever go to PR. Yes there are big named hotels nearby but why have an impersonal hotel when you can have a cosy B&B like Casa Caribe, I have kept up to date on tripadvisor reviews since I booked this hotel last year and personally I dont know why people have to complain about little things like continental breakfast etc, help yourself! get on with it!! enjoy yourself! I emailed Ed and reception staff several times over the months and always got reply immediately. Well done Ed and staff!!

Room Tip: We were in room 4, my son in room next door to us and my daughter/family in room 3. We were all on g...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Clean place but could def use some updating. Had basic breakfast with coffee, oj, assorted pastries, cereal, white bread (hope u like carbs!). Price was definitely good considering location- right in condado, a block from nice beach, across from marriot (which we used for the pool, chairs, etc.). Safe neighborhood. I'd return to stay here.

• Stayed March 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights. We stayed in room 6. It was worth the cost and our room was more than what we expected. The bathroom was a good size( but had no electical outlet).Ed the manager was extremely helpful and was always willing to answer questions. Of course I didn't give an excellent since we found a dead cockroach in our shower the 3rd night. But the cleaning service was perfect, I actually walked in on them moping the floors. Also when we did find the cockroach in our shower we kindly asked them to take care of it and they did immediately. The breakfast was very continental and if you're looking for a giant breakfast, you won't find that here. As for safety, this place was perfect and any outside noise couldn't be heard by us. Our favorite part of the stay would most definitely be Belle the mutt. She will join you for breakfast and rest in the shade on the couches with you.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
La Paz
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We arrived during the night with our little daughter and they guided us from their sister hotel to the B&B. Our room was big, had AC. We stayed there 4 nights and can really recommend the place. We had a great time, Ed helped us with everything we needed. We would come back any time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place actually exceeded my expectations, which is always a nice bonus.
It's got a lot going for it, the location is fantastic, just around the corner is Ashford street with a lot of good restaurants, bars, and casinos within walking distance. There are also a few beaches that you could walk to as well. It's about a 10 minute drive to get to Old San Juan from the hotel.
Check in was weird because they close their office in the evening, so we checked in at a different hotel about a block away.
They told us several options for parking our rental since there isn't any onsite parking. We parked in a secured lot about a block away for $10 per day. This is a very safe feeling neighborhood.
We stayed in room 13 and it was pretty clean with room to move around. The room was in the back building and was very quiet with almost no road noise. Breakfast wasn't much, some pastries with juice and milk.
I would stay here again if I were visiting San Juan again because of its location and it was a great value compared to the other large hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Room 13 in the back building was very quiet with some space to move around. It is only accessible by...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TonyJxx
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here for a night pre-cruise. This is a small, no frills B & B. No complaints on cleanliness, but the rooms were not as nice as one would have hoped. It took us a while to figure out the lighting system as the system of switches is quite awkward. There was no staff on duty past 5PM, so no one to ask if one had questions. You had to leave the property and go to another one owned by the same people that is around the corner if you needed anything. It was noisy at night and sounded like someone was having a fight in the courtyard behind our room. It made us feel uneasy, as we did not feel that our room door was substantial. There were panhandlers on the main street where the restaurants were located. This made us a bit uncomfortable, as we were not sure about personal safety in this area. We are used to staying in an area of Old San Juan that has a Police presence where families walk along the Old Wall in the evening. Would not stay in this property again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy S
Toronto
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights, and consider it to be of great value for San Juan. It was very clean, and the staff were very courteous and helpful. The location is great, just steps from Ashford Ave with lots of restaurants and activity. It is for people who want to stay in a small local place instead of an impersonal large hotel. It is also very close to the beach, with beach towels supplied. We would happily stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family