“Impressed by Doubletree”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Barbados
“Impressed by Doubletree”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My first experience staying in Puerto Rico and at a Double Tree was great. The Doubletree experience was one I would recommend for anyone not looking for a super resort feel but a great vacation. I was impressed.

The room was a little different from what I have experienced before. While, yes as in previous reviews it appears smaller than typical hotel rooms, it doesn't take away anything and the room quite grew on me, actually wished the vacation was longer.

The only weird thing for me was the bathroom with the frosted door and the sort of lack of complete privacy. I got accustomed to it I guess.

The staff was always courteous and helpful. Special mention to the breakfast staff, the front desk/check-in team and bell boys. Especially Margarita at front desk, she was always helpful, cheerful and put a smile on your face. Keep up the good work.

The location is very good with two top restaurants a stone's throw away (Under the Trees and Silk), the 24 hr grocery across the road. Overall the area seemed very safe during my stay and we never worried about walking around. Importantly it was not too far from anything, the big mall and shopping area, the airport and Old San Juan.

Thanks to the team for everything and see you next time I am in San Juan. Oh yeah, don't forget the cookie, so tasty.

1 Thank Chef_Cor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Good service from the staff and nice breakfast and close enough to San Juan and the airport. Room size is adequate. Plenty of restaurants around with a supermarket across the way. Just a bit of a walk to the beach.

1 Thank spinleks
Houston, Tx
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I along with two friends stayed for three days after our cruise returned to San Juan on November 2nd. We arrived early in the day before normal check-in time, but our rooms were ready. Our room was adequate sized, the bathroom didn't have much counter space, but there was a tiered shelf to one side that provided extra room for our junk. The shower was large (no bathtub), the door to the bathroom was a frosted glass sliding door. Some people might find that feature lacking privacy. There was a work desk/chair and plenty of electrical outlets for computers, etc. - also a microwave and small fridge in the room. Had a decent flat screen TV.
Across the street is a 24 hr. grocery store that sells beer and liquor. Very friendly staff there.
If you are adventurous, the city bus line has a stop in front of the hotel. We took the bus to Old San Juan one day and had a blast. It was worth the experience!
There are quite a few restaurants within walking distance, some are inexpensive.
The hotel restaurant offered a breakfast buffet (we didn't do that) and a small breakfast menu that was pretty good, the coffee was great.
The hotel bar was not quite what we expected - the bartenders were not experienced and seemed unsure of how to make some common drinks. After explaining what to do, they did okay.
One of our favorite things to do in the evening was sit outside in the front of the hotel, sipping on a drink, listening to the coquis (frogs) chirp. You don't get more relaxed than that!
We would book this hotel again if we ever return to San Juan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Aqualogue
Roxbury, New Jersey
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here Oct 30-Nov 3 this year after having stayed in Nov 2012 - and will stay on the next trip.

The location is very convenient. It's about 2-3 blocks from the beach. It is just steps away from a few good restaurants (many more are just a "healthy walk" away). Plus it's across the street from a supermarket which is so convenient for us!

The staff is just outstanding (Bo, you have a great team!) If I have to suggest an area for improvement it would be the valet. I recommend using the valet over self parking since self is $15 and valet is $20/day. Self parking is a long walk with nothing to see. I didn't understand the valet staff though. When you pull up, they wait at the desk. If you go to your trunk for luggage, then they come over to help. Not sure why they don't come over automatically to at least open the door. Maybe they are too short staffed there. Nonetheless, getting the car was always very quick and all were the normal friendly that is throughout the hotel.

Stayed in a King Gardenview room (we were lucky to get the same exact room as last year since I love the location at the end). We just love walking out our sliders to the patio and continuing to the pool or across to the gym. LOVE IT!!!!

If we visit San Juan next year, we will return!

Room Tip: Kind gardenview is a bit larger than all the others and pool access is wonderful.
2 Thank SunFunSun
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel is close to great restaurants and a couple blocks away from the beach. The hot cookies upon arrival are a nice touch. Staff was very friendly and offered great advise. The decor is very contemporary making the rooms and facilities very trendy. The room although small was very comfortable and the space was well designed. The bathroom only had a shower but the space was adequate. The in house restaurant is outstanding and the options outside the hotel are also great.

Room Tip: Although the hotel is nice there are not many great views. you choose this hotel for convenience an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria C
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Hola Maria C,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to see that you received friendly service and good suggestions from our staff. As you mention there are plenty of nice restaurants nearby (including our own Cafe Pierre) and we are only a few minutes away from beautiful Ocean Park beach. Hope to see you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.
Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com
Columbus
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Arriving in San Juan a day early before departing on a cruise, we decided to try this property due to the strong reviews on TA. We are glad that we did, as we had a very nice experience. Easy taxi ride from the airport, close to the highway and major roads. Check in was a breeze, bell and front desk staff friendly and helpful. Had a nice, but smaller, room overlooking the pool. Smallish bathroom, but a nice walk in shower. Room was comfortable, clean, and A/C was cold. It was great for one night.
Pleasantly surprised by our experience in the hotel restaurant. My wife and I both enjoyed our meals and the service that was provided to us.
A 24 hour supermaket is located across the street from the hotel. We picked up some wine for our cruise (also offers a wide variety of beer and liquor), and snacks for the room. Came back the morning for great coffee and breakfast. Tables in the cafe area packed with locals which I took as a good sign.
Guests seemed to be a mix of pre-cruise goers, and business travelers. Staff was attentive to all, and did a nice job dealing with what seemed to be a full house. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank CMHdiver
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We arrived in San Juan a day before our cruise departure and decided on this hotel as hubby has a ton of Hilton points.

Check in was a breeze and the front desk staff were quite friendly. I wasn't blown away at first by the lobby, but I don't know what I was expecting anyways.

Our room was pleasant (albeit on the smaller side). There isn't much vanity space around the sink - actually there is none, so that would be an improvement, but for one night it was just fine.

After check in we went down to the lobby to enjoy a cocktail before heading out to old San Juan. Drinks were typically priced for a hotel, and as we found out, around town as well.

In the morning we had an included breakfast (I believe because we are diamond members) and it was quite nice. We showed up right before they were shutting down, but it was a decent buffet and the service was very friendly and helpful. The hostess even brought me my orange juice, only to realize I probably was supposed to get it myself on the buffet. She didn't blink an eye when I asked her.

All in all, this was a nice hotel for one night. I'm not exactly sure if I would have loved it for a longer stay or not. If not, it would not have been for lack of a wonderful staff, but more out of a need for a larger pool/resort area and location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends