New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
NJ
“Great Hotel despite some mishaps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Despite some annoyances I really like this hotel ! It was clean and modern yet with a warmth and excellent decor. The service was friendly and welcoming.
I had a couple of issues
1. the location is 10 minutes by taxi to old San Juan. this requires a $20 avg. taxi ride each way. During my visit I had to go 2 times a day into town....thats $80!! But I got a good rate on the hotel so maybe it balanced out compared to a room of similar quality down town. And there really is no convenient way to take a bus.
2. From day one of my visit there were men on the roof just outside my window installing large AC piping...welding...hammering...power grinding. Impossible to nap in the afternoon and they began work at 8 am. My mistake was not to ask for a new room after the first day but I was already settled and unpacked and I also assumed that the workers would have changed location...but 4 days later they were still in the same spot and I never got a good nights sleep...despite the comfortable room. I finally complained on the last day out of desperation. At check out the woman at the desk was sincerely apologetic and offered me a complementary breakfast and was very helpful when I was trying to print my boarding pass. I'm quite sure they would have changed my room had I complained earlier. My fault.
3. The breakfast was so so overcooked eggs everyday, greasy everything else.

A couple of PROs: There is a full size supermarket just accros the street. and a 6 minute walk away you will find a very good french bistro and the san juan art museum and art center.
The public beach was a ten minute walk. Other than those there is really nothing else close by that I could find.

Room Tip: Make sure there is no construction outside your window!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TwoRiverTraveler
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Saludos TwoRiverTraveler,

It was great to read that you really liked our hotel and that you felt welcomed. I did want to apologize for the mishaps that you have expressed. We are always looking for ways to improve and maintain our hotel to the highest quality standards. We try as much as possible, to do this without inconveniencing our guests and are always willing to accommodate them if we are unable to. We do hope to be able to welcome you back and if I can assist you or answer any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly at yodil.caban@hilton.com.

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days pre-cruise and it exceeded our expectations. I booked it based on the reviews here and the hotel lived up to its reputation. I called the hotel directly to book a garden view room as suggested by others and was so glad I did! Being a business class hotel, we pretty much had the pool area to ourselves day and night (open 24 hrs) and this lovely little oasis was well kept and clean.

Our room had modern decor, was clean and spacious enough to more than serve our needs. The in-room gourmet coffee was really good too. Check-in and out were a breeze with no issues and every staff member was friendly and informative. We did visit the sister property (La Concha I think - 15-20 min walk)) and must say, we weren't terribly impressed with the beach with its partially green water and slight odor so were glad we didn't cough up hundreds more for an oceanfront room at another hotel.

If you're lucky to be there on a Wednesday, check out the free happy hour (5-7) - they serve every cocktail imaginable and great hot/cold apps but do tip - was appalled at the guests who couldn't be bothered to leave so much as a lousy buck.

The very busy supermarket across the street has good prepped food (mid-priced) and an eating area. Try their yummy philly cheese steak! Our room had a fridge/microwave so we bought extra to help cut dining out costs. We ate at Under the Trees one evening, it was quite good, comparatively priced and offered delicious local fare in addition to American classic dishes.

The taxis are the worst, no two fares were the same. It's supposed to be $15 plus $1 for each bag from the airport and that was the only time we weren't ripped off. Otherwise, fares ranged from $18 to $23 from new to old SJ (with no bags) - what a bunch of thieves and it was no different throughout our ports of call on the cruise. Oh well, c'est la vie.... I suggest you ask the fare before you get in the cab to save you the hassle.

The area was safe and we had no problems walking around even at night. The trendy boutique and dining area was about a 10 min walk away but forget the shopping ladies, this is one expensive city for clothing. Most everything could be had for a min of 50% less at home so don't even bother.

We also toured the fortress, very interesting but lots of walking so wear cozy footwear.

Room Tip: call ahead for a garden view - totally worth it but there are only about a dozen so book early.
4 Thank Rita Z
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hola Rita Z,
I was excited to read that you had a great stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations. I am glad you enjoyed your Garden Balcony room and took full advantange of the pool area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com and I will be happy to assist you with any future reservations.

New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Although the DoubleTree San Juan is a sprawling, resort-like hotel with many amenities, I was turned off by the $50.00 "amenities" fee that guests are charged. When I called the front desk for a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush, it took 1.5 hours. Finally, a crusty old man wrapped on my door with quite the attitude problem. No DoubleTree "cookie" was offered at check-in. Embarrassingly, my sister asked for one ;-). Continental breakfast was not served. According to my sister, all other DoubleTree's have continental breakfast. Cosmetically gorgeous hotel which should revise its' hefty "amenities" charge unless of course they decide to start providing "amenities".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Saludos JoshuaF,

I must extend my apologies for the experience that you have mentioned above, all our guests must be welcomed with a warm chocolate chip cookie, as well our staff must strive to maintain consistency in service.

In regards to the fees mentioned, unlike many destinations where hotel’s charge their guests for amenities/services like bottled water, internet/Wi-Fi, computer usage, movies, fax/copies, fitness club usage, special amenities and many other services, all hotels in San Juan charge a service charge/resort fee and include these items. For our hotel we include all of the above and have added services like Blue ray/DVD players upon request; morning coffee station in the lobby, beach loungers/towels and coolers, so our guest can enjoy the day at the beach. We provide the ice and our guest can take their in room bottled water or stock up at the gift shop and/or the supermarket across the street. We have established a great relationship with the La Concha Beach Resort and the CY-Isla Verde Beach Resort where our guests enjoy full access to their beach and pool facilities. If our guests would like to stay in during the day or night, we provide a healthy stock of movies. We will even provide pop-corn to be prepared at the in room microwave. We believe that these amenities enhances our guest experience without having to nickel and dime them. If I can answer any questions in regards to this please do not hesitate to contact me directly at yodil.caban@hilton.com.

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Doubletree is an amazing hotel. Don't be afraid to ask questions regarding the area and good restaurants nearby. A big thank you to Antonio for sending us to Bebo's (now called Basilias.) The pernil was so good that we went back twice. There is a small pool at Doubletree and you will probably be the only ones in it which can be very peaceful, but if you are looking for a little more activity be sure to go to their sister property, La Concha. My husband and I walked there which took about 25/30 minutes and took a cab back due to the heat. Our room at Doubletree was quite spacious as we stayed in the Garden Tower and had a king size bed overlooking the courtyard. We were able to get an early check-in and late check-out, thank you Bo! We can't wait to come back to see you again.

Room Tip: The garden tower is spacious and quiet.
2 Thank Maureen G
Hola Maureen G,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our pool area as well as the use of our sister property. I have shared your review with Antonio, who was excited to see that his restaurant recommendation worked out well. On a personal note, I am glad the availability allowed us to grant you a little later check-out from the hotel. When late check-outs can not be given we do offer our guests to leave their luggage at the front desk and to keep using the hotel facilities until their departure from the hotel, and we have a changing area with shower as well.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of further assistance.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I spent a night here after finishing a caribbean cruise. I was very happy with the location, being roughly midway between the airport and Old San Juan, and walking distance from the beach. We checked-in on the day of our anniversary, and were pleasantly surprised to see that our room was on a high floor with a fantastic view.

The pool and hot tub area was very nice, and it was convenient to have a grocery store right across the street from the hotel for incidentals. It was walking distance from the beach, and if you stay here be sure to walk around the corner and have lunch at Basilia's (formerly known as Bebo's).

Our room was clean and comfortable, with a modern contemporary design. The front desk staff was helpful and attentive, and the print service at the business center was very useful for printing our airline boarding passes. Another nice bonus is that there seemed to always be a taxi van standing by near the valet stand, so we never had to wait for a taxi.

2 Thank J B
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Hola J B,
Thank you for your kind review and for choosing the DoubleTree to celebrate your anniversary. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received attentive service from our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com and I will be happy to assist you with your reservation.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

At first I was placed in a very small room, but upon request I received a much larger room. The room was clean, though there was a long hair in the bathtub -- likely from the head of the person that cleaned the tub. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I didn't give it five stars because breakfast is it included and because it is not on the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Kerry Ann M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

When we arrived the person behind the desk gave us both a warm chocolate chip walnut cookie. Nice touch! It is hard to not like a hotel stay when it starts out like that. The room was clean and comfortable. We would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple