“Nice place to stay in San Juan”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Nice, big, clean hotel room. We got a room with a queen bed and a murphy bed. The murphy bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was nice as well - clean, modern, decent size. The room didn't have a view or anything, but we weren't really trying to hang out in the hotel. There's a great fitness room, and a nice pool. I'm sure the restaurant was good, but we didn't have it.

The staff was super nice. The walls were a little thin - there were guests that woke us up at 2 am and were pretty rude: opening and closing their doors, yelling at one another down the hall, partying for over an hour, cearly didn't care whether or not they were bothering anyone. We called the front desk and they dealt with it immediately.

This place is a quick drive from the airport. There's a grocery store literally right across the street. That was incredibly convenient. Their sister property, which has nice beach front access, is a 20 minute walk. I'd definitely stay here again. Pretty good value, considering how expensive hotels can be in San Juan.

It's worth noting that we did a totally fun and amazing ziplining and cave rappelling adventure at Campo Rico, which we chose to go to because they were so close to the hotel. The two business aren't affiliated in any way, but it's cool to know that there's a place close by that feels a million miles away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank iamfluidconcept

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I spend a lot of time in San Juan on business. I normally stay at La Concha but they were booked so I tried the Doubletree. I'm so glad I did. From the moment I checked in, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The staff members take pride in their jobs and in their hotel and they are anxious to make your stay the best it can be. I had the pleasure of meeting two of the sales staff, Denise and Lisandra, who were so nice and very helpful in assisting me with arranging future visits with them. Although the hotel is not on the beach, they have sister properties on the beach, one of which is La Concha. As a guest at Doubletree you have access to the pools and beach at La Concha and their other sister property. The staff will help you make arrangements to spend the day at the other properties. I had a very nice room with a patio near the pool. The room and bathroom are updated and very clean. The shower has excellent water pressure and nice hot water for those of you who enjoy a relaxing hot shower. Forgot to pack your deodorant, toothpaste, razor or other toiletry item. They will provide you with these items and more free of charge. This hotel is a much quieter property so if you are here for work or like a more relaxed and quiet location this hotel will be perfect for you. There is a microwave and refrigerator in the room and a very nice super market across the street where you can get anything you need. Overall this is a great place to stay and you will feel right at home. Oh....and the yummy, warm cookie at check in doesn't hurt either :-)

Room Tip: Ask if they have patio rooms available. They're very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
15  Thank Lori H
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Hola Lori H,
Thank you for making us your new favorite hotel in San Juan! I am happy to hear that you received friendly and helpful assistance from our staff. We look forward to welcoming back on your future visits. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any assitance with your future reservations.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights in Feb2013.We found the room (king bed) to be of a generous size, and well equipped..nice wolfgang puck coffeemaker, Flatscreen Tv with enough channels, free Internet access, mini fridge, microwave.etc Bathroom is very modern and clean, and everything worked fine. We had no real view, as the room looked inwards to the courtyard and pool..but as a result, there was absolutely no street noise. It was one of the most quiet hotel rooms we have ever stayed in.There is a great restaurant downstairs,(not part of the hotel) called Under the Trees, as well as another with Sushi and more Oriental food. the Hotel restaurant was fine for breakfast, but a bit expensive.The Super Max supermarket right across the street came in handy for snacks, fruit, juices etc.
Attention at the front desk was very good and friendly.
The ice machine on our floor did not work for two days, but that was a minor inconvenience.We used the self parking for our rented car, as there is virtually no free parking in the area. Besides, it is much safer.($15 per day)
I think the price with AAA discount and prepaid was fine, at just under$212 including taxes, but having not read the room rate description carefully (my fault, because it was there to be seen), I was surprised upon checkout that I had to pay a 18 % "Resort Fee". Now this is a Hotel...not a resort.There is no golf, tennis, or even a beach. The Hotel provides free access to a beach hotel close by with towels etc...but thats not the same as staying at a resort .This is a bit off a turn off, especially if like us, you are not interested in the beach at all.This Resort Fee is in Addition to the usual PR Government room taxes(10.62% )
It is well located in the Condado area, but not on the strip. It is an easy walk to several great bars,restaurants ,pharmacy, fast food places .In all we would stay there again, and can recommend it to anyone who wants something a bit better than Ho jo`s, and who is not interested in Ocean views etc.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank shepsphoto
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is nice, a bit difficult to locate and in a marginal neighborhood. The hotel staff was not very helpfull with directions to the rental car return at near the airport. The bathrooms were not very clean nor were the carpets. The rooms are laid out well and were comfortable. The beds were also comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rescue190
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a really nice hotel - this is not a beach resort. Hopefully that is clear to everyone before they book it. That being said, I spent every day at the beach because the Doubletree has pool and beach privileges with two sister hotels. Ask the front desk and they will give you a letter to present to the sister hotel.

For the hotel's beach privileges, I walked to the Renaissance La Concha (roughly 20 minute walk) on Avenida Ashford in the Condado district. I was a little concerned about the treatment I would receive at La Concha since I wasn't staying there, but, to a person, the staff at La Concha could not have been nicer. Staying at the Doubletree is a great way to enjoy the San Juan beaches while staying away from the water in a different San Juan neighborhood.

A quick taxi ride from the airport (less than $20), the Doubletree is convenient to several "neighborhood joints" for food and drink, Bebo's for example, and also a 24-hour grocery store (SuperMax) right across the street.

I had a Queen room and although the room is small, it is just fine for one person. It may be tight for two people. Plus, the bathroom is right next to the bed and has a frosted glass door, again, maybe not the best for two people. The room has plenty of work space, wired and wireless internet access, great lighting, and several convenient electrical outlets. Coffee, tea and two bottles of water are replenished daily. The room has a safe (that will hold most laptops, but probably not the large ones), a microwave oven and a refrigerator. The only negative thing I can think of is that you can clearly hear room doors and locks slamming shut whenever someone goes in or out of neighboring rooms. Other than that, no complaints.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank RDShell

Hola RDShell,
Thank you for your kind review. As you mention, although we are not on the beach, we are only a few minutes walk from beautiful Ocean Park beach. Also, our guests can take advantage of our Beach Club, which gives access to our two beach front sister properties. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of further assistance.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Very friendly and hospitable staff..warm cookies at check in was a big plus! Had a rental car and parking staff was very helpful and accommodating. Across the street is a big Supermax where you can purchase water, etc. The only drawback was that the room was small and the layout of the bathroom is strange with a frosted glass door and very limited shelf space over the sink. Great location!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Alexandra C
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel post cruise. We were off the ship and in our room by 10:25am-really early check-in. Staff was friendly, courteous and helpful from the bell captain to the housekeeping staff. What we asked for we received. We stayed late to enjoy the pool and had access to a shower and towels pre-flight home. The facility was clean and well maintained. Our room was clean and not worn-really liked the gigantic (post ship) glass shower! We ate breakfast in the hotel dining room and while it was the usual SanJuan prices, the quantity of food was very good and plentiful portions. The hot milk served with morning coffee was a nice touch. Oh, yes,cookies were very tasty. The view from our room was pretty much roof tops, but we weren't there to look out that window. The location was not really an issue as it was really only about 4 or 5 blocks from the resturant area. There were bars and resturants close by. The 24 hour grocery store right across the street has a hot/cold food deli and all kinds of beverages.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Suedrs

Hola Suedrs,
Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to read that we were able to provide you with early check-in. On occassions when early check-in is unavailable, we do store the luggage for our guests while they can use our facilities or those of our beach front sister properties. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance with any future reservations.