“FL-Male”

Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Tampa, Florida
“FL-Male”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The rooms here are very small for the price and the hotel also adds on an 18% fee to the total bill even though i booked my room directly from the doubletree website not very convienant as far as location had to do a lot of walking or pay cab fares to go to anywhere. For the price and location i would highly recomend the la conchia which is the sister hotel they have direct beach access, casino and they are also in easy walking distance of several restuarants. The staff there is top notch i appreciated there attention to detail and their willingness to help when needed

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fred W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I read some reviews and heard from some people that this might not be the best hotel in the area, but for the price, I would continue to stay here. The staff is very friendly, and the hotel is very modern. The rooms are a tad small, but thats about the only negative I could find in the hotel. There is a 24 hour supermarket across the street, and easily accessible from the highway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jgmiami
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Hola jgmiami,
Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to see that you found our hotel to be great and modern, and I appreciate you giving us the highest marks in service and cleanliness. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My stay at the Doubletree was very lovely. It is a modern hotel and conveniently located. It's in walking distance to various restaurants and across the street is a big 24 hour supermarket.

The staff were pleasant and I was very comfortable in my room. They offered a highly discounted rate when you pay in advance which was a great deal considering the level of the hotel and amenities offered. The next time I'm staying in San Juan I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank hahohee
Hola hahohee,
Thank you for your kind review. It was great to read that you had a lovely stay with us and that you received pleasant service from our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit San Juan. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

Sevilla, España
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Doubletree based on reviews on TripAdvisor. The hotel is clean, modern and the beds are comfortable, although for big people it would be wise to choose rooms with kingsize beds since the queen size are a bit small. The rooms don't have nice views and you can't open the windows. However, they do come equipped with a coffee/tea maker, there's a fridge and an iron and board. The bathroom is modern. There's free wifi.
The hotel is not on the beach, though it's only 10 minutes away. There is a small pool in an inner courtyard. There is a nice restaurant at the hotel and the staff is very friendly.
I think this hotel is fine if you can get it at a reasonable price. Hoewever, we went at New Years and the price was about $325 / night. In hindsight I should have paid either more for a beachside hotel that had some type of Ney Year's Eve celebration or a cheaper hotel since we didn't spend much time in the Doubletree except to sleep because it wasn't on the beach.
I have to say, going back to the price, that the pricing scheme for this hotel (and maybe all hotels in San Juan, I don't know) is a bit strange. They give you a room price but warn you that that price does not include a surcharge of over 20% plus taxes. The room price quoted became inflated by 28,62% because of this, though again we were informed of this at the time of booking.
The other thing I didn't feel comfortable with was the way the hotel included the gratuity in the bill at the restaurant. 3 of us had dinner one night at the hotel. The food was good and the waiter was very nice. When we got the bill, I saw the gratuity of aprox 18% had been included, which was fine since the service was good. My mother paid the bill with a credit card and when the waiter came to get the signed slip I told him we hadn't left any additional money since the bill he had brought already included a good tip. He looked surprised and said we didn't have to leave a tip if we didn't want to and that they don't usually include the tip for tables of less than 4. Anyways, I got the impression he wasn't very convinced about the tip and I left feeling like I should have spoken to the manager to make sure the gratuity in the bill would go to the waiter.
Again, for me given the price and location I would look for something either on the beach that wa smore expensive or off the beach but cheaper.

Room Tip: The queen size beds are a bit small for 2 people.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JamesinSeville
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Saludos JaimesinSeville,

I wanted to apologize as it seems that the price value versus your experience was not what you expected. I am with hopes that on your next visit you can contact me directly at yodil.caban@hiton.com so I can assist you with your reservation. We do offer incentives for guest that decide to book directly with us and also offer discounts with advance purchases. In regards to your experience with the restaurant bill, I can assure you that this is not our practice. Our Food and Beverage Director, Felix Vizcaino ( fvizcaino@sjdoubletree.com ) has already address this, with the entire staff make sure that it does not reoccur, even if it was unintentional. If we can be of assistance to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Yodil M. Caban
Genreal Manager
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was very pleased with the Doubletree, it has to be one of the most hospitable hotels I've ever been to. We had a great time, the staff was awesome and the warm cookies are great. I am glad we chose this hotel, only wish I could have stayed longer. The hotel is modern, I didn't have a problem with the glass doors in our bathroom. Bebo's restaurant is right down the street, the grocery store is directly across the street, and there's a place for burger's right up the block. We ate the breakfast buffet in the hotel and was pleased, overall I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rita P
Hola Rita P,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. It was great to read that found us to be one of the most hospitable hotels you have stayed in, and that you received awesome service from our staff. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com and I will be happy to assist you with any future reservation.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very pleased with this Hotel. THe room a are modern and clean. Beautiful lobby with atrium makes from great pictures. There is some what of a night life with in the hotel. ( a club called Plan B and a few restaurants that get a good turn out at night. Conveniently located closed to a grocery store. For breakfast try Bebo's across the street for good inexpensive local food. Only downturn is that it is not walking distance from the major nightlife of San Juan. (condado)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Harold R
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is so modern, you'll be surprised when you walk in. It looks like it was just remodeled, and there is a supermarket just across the street, which is really convenient. We only stayed there one night, before we had to leave to the airport the next morning, so I'm not sure how convenient it is to the beach, but the pool looked nice, and it's about a $15 cab ride to Old San Juan. And my favorite part, of course, are those warm Doubletree cookies they give you when you check in!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple