“Good Place to Stay”

Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Boston
“Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

DoubleTree is a good hotel with very attentive front desk staff. I was impressed by this. The room I had was clean and well maintained during my trip. The bed was comfortable and not the usual too soft beds that kill my back. The room was a bit small but comfortable with a queen bed and desk area and a chair. The pictures on the site are very accurate. There is a restaurant on site with a nice bar that has happy hour from 5 - 7 and breakfast - with omelet station. I only had a burger (which was good) so I did not sample much of the food offering. There is ample space to linger out of the room in the lobby area or at the pool. Across the street the Super Market is open 24 hours and also offers some food to take out that is a good and cheaper alternative to local restaurants. This hotel is not on the main drag (Condado) but the main drag is within walking distance about 20 minutes. There is a bus that stops on the corner that for 75 cents will take you to the Condado or Old San Juan. But beware that the time between buses can be long - Caribbean time I guess. There is a pool and gym with good treadmills and free weights. It is convenient, clean, and business like. It is not a resort but does have an arrangement with a sister hotel that allows guests to use that other facility which is on the beach. I tried the other sister hotel once and it was nice but I did not try it again as I was too busy exploring the city. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank cyberi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for over a year, consistently. I travel to San Juan virtually every week and have stayed at every hotel in the SJ area. To date, this is by far the best hotel in the city, and I may dare to say in the island from a value perspecitive. It is rather new for PR standards, recently renovated. The management is top notch, very attentive to details. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive to one's needs. The facilities are extremely clean and well maintained. the rooms are spacious with excellent amenities for the business traveler. For business, there is no better option in the island.

If you are going on vacation; this is not a beach front property and the nearest beach is not within walking distance. Also, the area is not "that great" where you can walk to many distractions, you will need a car or take cabs. However, the hotel is located near major highways and it is centrally located to all tourist attractions; Old San Juan is 10 minutes away and the beaches are 5-10 minutes away by car.

The breakfast at the hotel is superb. The bar may close earlier than a lot of people would like, but it tends to die down after 10:30pm or so anyway, the service at the bar is fantastic.

Overall, this hotel is fantastic for the business traveler.

Room Tip: cornered rooms are bigger. They have a few near the pool...awesome
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Jorge F
Warren, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed for a weekend before a cruise based on trip advisor reviews. The hotel, while slightly out of the way, was spotless, modern and the staff super friendly (especially Diana at the front desk). Every restaurant that the staff recommended was great. We took the bus to OSJ (easy and only 75 cents) and travelled on the free trolley around OSJ. Great trip, love Puerto Rico, and hope to be back soon!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Glasgowgirl67DA
NYC
Reviewed December 7, 2012

From our arrival to our departure, we were treated very friendly by the staff. Our car valet Eduardo was very courteous and greeted us with a smile and a warm hello.

The front desk had our warm cookies waiting for us, they were yummy. The pool area was very clean. The warm bubbly waters at the spa did wonders on my aching back.
The room, as the bathroom were very clean. Loved the coffee!

Across the street is a supermarket, which we took advantage of. I will definitely return.

Enjoyed the lunch at Bebos, a real taste of Puerto Rican fare. Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank abbysgrandma
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hola abbysgrandma,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your kind review. I am happy to see that you found our staff to be friendly. I will make sure to share you review with them and Eduardo. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any assistance with your reservation.

USA
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor ratings. I had done my research and knew that it was not on the beach. We did use their service to spend a day on the beach at the La Concha Resort. The room was comfortable and the staff friendly. We did not eat at the hotel as there are many good places within a walking distance. The big super market across the road is great. You will not have any views to drool over but will have a very satisfying stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank peeam
Hola peeam,
Thank you for your kind review. I was glad to see you had a change to explore some the neighboring areas many restaurants and that you were also able to take advantage of our Beach Club with access to our beach front sister properties. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been living at the Doubletree San Juan since September and can tell you this hotel is awesome. The hotel and rooms are very clean and comfortable, the staff is very friendly and cannot do enough for you. Bolivar at the bar and Tatina, Felix and Bo manage the facility. Good pool, jacuzzi, fitness center and laundry. After being here for three months when I went home for Thanksgiving I missed the staff who are now all my friends. It is about a 10 minute walk to the beach but we all need a little walk now don't we? I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It is a great value

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are great for longer stay's
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank 451RichardJ
Hola 451RichardJ,
Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree for your extended stay in Puerto Rico. It has been our pleasure to have you as a guest during this time. Please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can do to make the remainder of your stay more comfortable.

Abilene, TX
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Before you get to the negatives, I want to be clear that this hotel is well worth staying at. Great combination of price-point and quality. We will stay here again.

We came in the day before our cruise, got in early, had the evening and the next morning. It's a very well run, great looking, safe-bet hotel with only a few minor service flaws which kept it from getting "excellent" in my book. Damaris provided absolutely excellent bar-service even though the bar was packed and busy - never a wait for our next drink. For us, a great location - $17 cab fare to the cruise ship terminal (plus $1 per bag).

As to the aforementioned service misses: At check-in I was asked how many would be staying in the room. I said three. She handed me three cookies (very nice) then only two room keys (discovered this when I got to the room). In the room - two bottled waters, and only one washcloth (?). All this aside - I know that mattress and pillow firmness are a personal preference - but the mattresses were so firm (hard) that my joints ached in the morning - and the pillows were way too full and firm for me. My wife and daughter also complained that the beds were simply way too firm for sleeping purposes.

That's about it. Great location, very good service in general, but I need my sleep and the bedding made that tough - and the single washrag was an odd anomaly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family