Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
  • Restaurant
$301
$229
  • Breakfast included
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
$161
$403
$329
Preferred Hotels
2,968 results
All reviewsdouble treemurphy bedgrocery store across the streethour supermarketwarm cookiescafe pierrebebo's cafeself parkingpool and hot tubbusiness centerpool areaopen hoursfew blocksvery nice hotelresort feepre cruise stayfitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for only 3 nights in May 2012. The hotel was very well kept, clean and modern. The prices were also decent I found the Staff very friendly and helpful from the concierge to the bellman. The first day we got there the concierge 'Peter' told us all about the different excursions that we could chose from, which we found very useful as this was our first time to san juan so we were not entirely sure what it had to offer. We chose the rainforest tour option which we really enjoyed. The transportation and tour guide was all included in the price we paid at the hotel however i can't quite remember the price but it was affordable. We didn't eat at the hotel as we chose to explore the cities various restaurants and bars for the nights that we were there, although some of the other guests who were staying there at the same time highly recommended the food to us. The location of this hotel is not to far from anything and the cabs out there are also affordable. The drivers we had were all really friendly and chatty but of course being in a spanish speaking country not all of them understood or spoke good English (useful tip: brush up on the spanish or have a book with key phrases). Luckily our spanish was enough to get us around with no confusion. Whilst in San Juan if on vacation I recommend visiting 'viejo san jun' (old san juan) and visit 'castillo san cristobel' if your into historical sites, there are also loads of restaurants and bars down there which are worth a visit, however if visiting san Juan for clubs and parties i suggest you go for a weekend as during the week there are no clubs or parties in the whole of san juan and old san juan open! This amazed me as i thought San Juan was the party capital so was shocked that there was not one place to party during the week as London, Uk has a party a day. Nevertheless we throughly enjoyed ourselves and would happily stay here again. Oh before I forget the hotel also offers free warm cookies when ever you want and they were absolutely delicious so make sure you ask at the front desk (just in case the forget to offer).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Marissa01052012
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Recently took a brief trip (leisure) to San Juan. Found this hotel for a reasonable rate with good reviews.

The hotel is in a slightly odd area, while I believe it is in the tourist district it is just far enough away from the beaches to be slightly inconvenient.

You can easily walk to the beach/tourist area from the hotel, but the area in between is very sketchy (houses without windows, etc). Not the hotel's fault but it is worth mentioning seeing as it heavily affects the walkability of the hotel.

The hotel has a very nice open lobby with several tables and other areas to relax at. There are tables outside as well but it is noisy and on a busy street. The valet were generally friendly and helpful, and there were always taxis ready to go (warning, taxi pricing in PR is crazy. Prepare yourself)

Once in the lobby there is a very nice bar and restaurant (neither of which I had time to go to) to your left, and a chocolate shop (smells great!!) and check-in to the right.

Checkin was reasonably quick although they had not reserved the room that was on my reservation. Initially they told me there would be an upcharge which I refused, and then they put me in a room 'like' my desired room (i was supposed to have a king garden view but ended up with a queen garden view).

The room was decently laid out and has a pulldown bed in the wall (in addition to the queen bed). The building i was in was only 4 stories high so hot water was always instantly available with great water pressure.

Although the hotel appears to have been recently updated it is showing somewhat heavy signs of interior wear, the furniture had lots of chips and scratches which seemed odd, quite frankly.

The bathroom was nicely laid out although it was shower-over-tub and I prefer standalone showers. The hotel provides the normal items, soap, shampoo, etc, and offers complimentary toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, etc) upon request at no charge.

The bathroom was very clean with the exception of mildew heavily forming at the base of the tub on the outside. It seems like a drainage flaw so I honestly cant fault housekeeping for that.

Minus the general wear the room was very clean and well organized. There is a lot of drawer/table space for housekeeping to have to look over and I feel they did a pretty good job.

I was mildly annoyed with the televison itself. It had a decent channel lineup but was slightly too small for the room and flush mounted to the wall and could not be moved, so the viewing angle was off. It would be nice if they had used the traditional stands to allow pivoting of the tv so you can see it from the desk area.

The two issues i had with the hotel were limited but worth mentioning,

My room had a slightly stale odor to it, which resembled cigarette smoke. It seemed it was more prevalent when the a/c kicked on. I discovered this at about 4am when returning from a night out. The woman at the front desk was less than enthusiastic, but after much discussion did try to find another room for me. I went in to the other room and noticed it also had the same lingering odor, so i am not sure what it is (and thus opted not to change rooms). My friend was staying in another room and their room did not have this smell.

The other item was, the hotel has a sister property which is gorgeous and beach front. You can get a voucher from the doubletree to gain access to the other hotel's resources. Unfortunately no one bothered to mention this until nearly the end of my stay when the concierge mentioned it as a suggestion for places to dine. The sister property has beautiful pool and beach access that i would have used, had i known sooner.

The doubletree itself has an 'okay' pool area which is open 24 hours, though.

All in all the hotel is a reasonably good find assuming you get a decent rate. It is clean and well kept, the staff are mostly friendly, and it is very central (if you have a car/taxi).

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank SKITZOZTIKS
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed in this hotel before we went on a cruise in November. It was very clean and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room itself (king room) was fairly small but had everything we needed. The shower in the bathroom was basically a completely open shower, with no door to close and only a glass partition which was totally fine for my husband and I but if you are uncomfortable with that sort of thing, might want to keep it in mind. This hotel is not that close to Old San Juan so we had to take a cab to get there. We tried taking the the bus one time which I do not recommend as it takes forever. The hotel is close to the airport and cruise pier though. We got breakfast from the restaurant in the hotel one morning and it was delicious - generous portions and the sausage and eggs were awesome. The one complaint I had about this hotel was the smell in the room. I am very sensitive to smells and it seemed like there was a heavy floral deodorizer used or some sort of floral air freshener that left a lingering smell the entire time we were there. It was very strong and noticeable. Other than that, it was a nice clean hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pinkrose529
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Overall, this is an awesome hotel. Super comfortable rooms and beds. Great staff, great lobby, great location. A 24 hour Supermax supermarket is across the street so you can save some money from hotel food prices. Only 1.5 blocks from beach-- about a ten minute walk. Ashford street is close which is Main Street in Condado. Many restaurants, shops, but more calm and laid back than expected. Not the bustling wild district I expected .

My only complaint with the hotel is that the bathrooms are weird and strangely designed. Shower is floor level with swinging glass door, but when you use it, water floods the entire floor. Also there is almost no counter space in bathroom. Just a tiny, glass ledge below main mirror. No place to really put toothbrush , toothpaste, contacts, etc. I was solo. If you shared this room as a couple, good luck! No space in bathroom for both men and women's stuff!

But hotel has four different (slightly expensive) restaurants on site. Lots of meeting rooms. Lovely lobby that always smells like chocolate. Nice pool, fitness center.

Overall: pretty great!

Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank Charles P
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hola Charles P,
I was happy to read that you are having an awesome stay and that our staff is providing you with great service. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience with your shower. As soon as I read your review I had one of my guys from Engineering go to your room to adjust the shower door. Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any other concerns during the remainder of your stay.
Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here one night after a miserable night at Hotel Plaza de Armas in Old San Juan. This is a great hotel located in trendy Condado. Only a $7 cab ride from Old San Juan. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a 24 hr supermarket across the street which is convenient to get coffee or other Puerto Rican gifts. It is a short walk to the beach and to the lovely restaurants and shops of Condado. Our room was quite modern, very clean, free wi-fi, and they gave us beach priveleges to their sister resort. I have stayed in many Doubletree properties over the years, and this was definitely the nicest. They also have a nice happy hour every day with 2 for 1 drinks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laurie_loves_gators

Hola Laurie_loves_gators,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to read that you were able to take advantage of our Beach Club, which gives you access to our beach front sister properties. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.
Always at your service,