“Nice Room, Nice Staff, Good Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Manchester, Connecticut
“Nice Room, Nice Staff, Good Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The rooms are decent sized. The check in staff were great and very helpful. In the mornings, the breakfast workers are friendly as well. My only complaint is the shower. I am not a fan of the clear walls.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank LuvHaribo
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hola LuvHaribo,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was happy to read that you found the check-in staff and our breakfast staff to be friendly and I will make sure to share your comments with them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of further assistance.

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
North Olmsted, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed 2 nights after a cruise. It was a good price for the room. One awesome plus was they let us check in early. The room was one room with a bathroom & TV. A mini fridge & microwave were in the closet. There was a queen size bed and a full size murphy bed, I was concerned about that and although the bed is heavy, the bed was really very comfortable. I did not like the bathroom, the door faces the room and its a frosted glass door and the wall of the shower that faces the room is glass block windows. It doesn't feel very private at all. I was with a friend, so it may not have bothered me as much had it been my husband. Also the windows have a shade over them, but that is it. At night there was a lot of light shining in from the street lights & whatnot. There are a couple of places to eat right there, and they have a 2 for 1 happy hour 5-7pm every night- that was fun. There is a grocery store right across the street. There is a little pool and lounge chairs that looked so inviting but we had lots to do in San Juan. One thing that really made me love it here was the service. Loved Antonio who brought up our luggage and was so nice and knowledgeable and gave us info. Also during check out, got lots of help with weighing our luggage and rearranging it so that I was under the weight limit. Plus the cookies are great ;)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Milenka17
Hola Milenka17,
Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to see that you found our hotel to be great and that we were able to provide you with early check-in. Also, I have shared with Antonio your positive comments about his assistance with your luggage upon check-out. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of assistance with any future reservations.

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We got a great deal online. Later we realized that it doesn't matter how great the deal you get is, if the service is not up to par.On a good note, the hotel was meticulously clean and modern.
Our room was small, but well-appointed and modern. The beds were comfy and bathroom was spacious.
The location is not on the beach but about a 15 minute walk to Ashford Avenue in the Condado area where all the bars/restaurants are. We walked and found it a nice walk along the main street, de Diego. There is also a bus that runs to and from Old San Juan infront of the hotel. The valet parking man was so kind and helpful, I wish I knew his name.
We did not find it unsafe walking around. The hotel is in a decent area and there is a 24-hour grocery store, SUPERMAX right in front of the hotel that is very convenient. We bough numerous things and stored some in our hotel mini-fridge.
While the hotel itself was beautiful, I would rate it 1 star higher if it was directly on the beach or an even shorter walking distance to the Condado area.
Our disappointment and frustration though was with the manager on the day we checked in and on the day we checked out, his name was Omar.
On the day of check-in, he was fine, just indifferent. But friendly or acommodating which is fine. At least, he was not rude. On the day before checkout, we were notified by US Airways, that our flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy. Of course, we then had to deal with re-booking our flight, call our travel insurance company and try to re-book a room.
The front desk staff on a particular evening were quite helpful and acommodating us in allowing us a few phone calls from their courtesy phone so that we may contact our airlines and insurance company. One other lady at the front desk also had no problem in dialling our airline's # and forwarding it to the other courtesy phone in the lobby area in front. of reception.
They more than willingly were trying to help us in any way to organize alternate travel plans.
On the morning of check out, since our long distance phone bills were becoming quite hight from our room phone, I went to the lobby to ask kindly if i would be able to use the courtesy phone to verify the status of our flight for the next day. I told the manager, Omar, that it would be a quick call to the 1-800 # and he responded in a very annoyed way that "sorry I can't let you use the phone", and I told him that the reception last night allowed us a few quick calls because they were important calls, our flight was cancelled, he then responded very matterof-fact, " I can't let you use the phone".
Are you serious? Is that customer service? I couldn't believe it and to make matters worse, we were even asked to be put on the waiting list to stay a few more nights along with other stranded hotel guests. What was unacceptable was that Double Tree did not even update us as to whether or not they could book us a few extra nights due to our flight cancellation.After minimal thought we told them to take us off the waiting lis(instead, we checkout and into another hotel that was 1 block from the beach and good customer service) The morning of check out from Double Tree, Omar the manager was there at the desk, and saw us checking out and did not acknowledge us in anyway. He did not even ask us if our flight got re-booked. That is, because he does not care. Seems like he is just going through the motions. Not very, not hospitable,not friendly in any way. Definitely not how a manager should conduct himself.
Unfortunately, we also did not have a good experience with service at Caribe Hilton i a few days prior. I rate both Hilton's highly in terms of aesthetics, but in terms or service, I do not.
Would I return or recommend Double Tree Hilton? No, unless there is an improvement in service.
Perhaps, Omar was having a bad day the day we checked in? or perhaps he should get re-trained by Hilton management if Hilton really cares about the customer service they provide to their paying clients. Hope you're listening Hilton. A note to travellers, there are other beautiful places to stay at, chain or independent establishments that offer the whole package.
One last thing Hilton, remember, your management is a reflection of the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank iluvsunandsand
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Saludos iluvsunandsand,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the miscommunication that occur with our Assistant Front Desk Manager. It is evident that what reads to have been a great stay was hindered by this interaction. During the pass of Hurricane Sandy through the east coast of the United States many flights were cancelled, leaving several guests stranded. We truly tried to accommodate as many guest a possible if not with us, with in our sister properties. I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate you immediately. I am with hopes that you will see this as an isolated incident and would give us the opportunity to be at your service should your travels bring you back to Puerto Rico. If I can be of service to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at yodil.caban@hiton.com.

Yodil Caban
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I went to San Juan on a business trip. This hotel is very clean and modern. I met with my customers at this hotel, I had a nice breakfast with one of them.
The service was outstanding. The pool area is very nice. Free wifi, I got a delicious cookie when I checked in.
Valet parking is optional and costs US$20.
For breakfast or lunch check out Pinky's which is within walking distance and for lunch or dinner go around the corner to Bebo's Cafe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank bambamgp
Gaylord, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My and husband and I stayed at the Double Tree for 3 nights. The rooms were exceptionally clean and had a microwave, refrigerator, and excellent coffee. The staff was friendly and willing to help with anything we needed. It was so nice that the pool and business center were open 24 hours, so we could use them whenever we wanted. The store across the street was clean and had a great deli at reasonable prices. Our entire stay was pleasant and I would highly recommend this hotel . We have stayed at other hotels on previous visits to San Juan, but will definitely stay at the Doubletree if we return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Penny W
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We chose to stay at the Doubletree Hilton in San Juan after reading all the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. And we weren't disappointed! It's gotta be one of the best hotels in San Juan for the money.

We were traveling with another couple to meet a cruise ship. We decided to spend three days exploring San Juan before the cruise. The hotel is clean, the staff is super helpful and patient, and the location is an area that feels safe and is an easy walk to the beach. There's a large supermarket directly across the street and several nice restaurants nearby. We didn't have a car, so don't know about any parking issues.

Our room was spacious, modern, quiet, well-appointed and very clean. Nice bed and bath linens, firm mattress, free wifi, coffee maker with Wolfgang Puck coffee, hair dryer and shower (no tub). Lots of shelves and space for stowing gear, including a large closet with a safe. We're sad that we didn't notice the small fridge in the closet until we were leaving! The lobby was spacious with indoor and outdoor seating. There's a fitness center with a few cardio machines and some free weights.

We couldn't decide whether to stay in Old San Juan or Condado, close to the beaches. So we compromised and stayed at the Doubletree Hilton. We understood from previous reviews that there's a bus for $1.25 that goes directly to Old San Juan. However, the bus schedule was very erratic.We took the bus once, but the next time we waited for a bus for 40 minutes before we gave up and paid $17 for a cab. We really enjoyed the night life in Old San Juan, so if we ever go back for a couple of nights, I think we'll stay at a hotel there instead. One bonus of the Doubletree Hilton is that they have a sister property -- a high-end beach resort in Condado. So, as a guest at the Doubletree, you can get privileges at the sister property, including getting chaise lounge, towel and umbrella service on the nice swimming beach. It's about a 7-minute walk from the Doubletree.

For the money, I can't imagine a more comfortable place to stay in San Juan!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank laurielizard
Ohio City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Double Tree Inn for 2 nights. It is a very pretty hotel and the room was so pretty. The staff was very helpful letting us check in early and holding our luggage when we needed to. They had a breakfast buffet which had a great variety. There was a grocery store across the street where we went for snacks and other things, very handy. We walked to the San Gorges for Mass. Maybe not the best neighborhood but no one bothered us. We recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 stars 4,119 reviews

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!