“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
St. Helena Island, SC
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was exactly as described by reviews on TripAdvisor and we enjoyed a great stay. Their welcome cookies are just marvelous and worth every calorie (310 of them). Our room was clean and very well-designed and ergonomic (excellent use of space). The hotel staff were very helpful and always pleasant.
We used the T5 bus (stops are just across and up the street from the hotel going into town and right near the hotel entrance on the way back). At only 75 cents each ride, it only cost us $3.00/day getting into and out of Old San Juan - and we used the free trolleys (2 routes run there) to save on our feet for walking at the sights. Fair warning though - you have to be patient, sometimes it might be an hour before the T5 bus comes, another time only 20-30 min. (even at the bus terminus in Old San Juan!). There doesn't seem to be a set schedule. Plus you need exact change per person (the front desk was very nice about giving us change each day).
The SuperMax grocery store across the street was very handy (be sure to try the locally grown bananas - so much sweeter than those we get in the US) and we used the hotel recommended restaurants nearby ("Silk" for Japanese/Chinese and "Under the Trees" did a fabulous fire-grilled burger). We had a wonderful breakfast at the Doubletree (again very accommodating and great service) and also used their 2 for 1 Happy Hour one day. Definitely we would recommend and stay here again and they deserve their great rating on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bouviers
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hola Bouviers,
Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.

bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went on a cruise and decided to spend a few extra days in San Juan. We were looking for a hotel located near everything and found it in the Double Tree Hilton.

Antonio greeted as as we arrived and took care of us for the next three days providing everything from beach chairs and towels to directions to El Yunque. Nice guy, great asset to the hotel.

Margarita at the front desk made us feel like family and the hot cookies didn't hurt either!

All of the staff was great at answering our questions and helping us accomplish what we needed to do.

If you need a car rental, try Enterprise on Ashford Ave. They will bring the car to the hotel and they were very helpful with directions. We dropped off the car at 10pm and walked back to the hotel. The area was full of people enjoying the evening and there was a very noticable police presence.

We are going to stay here again and are already looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank GeoAdventurer
Hola GeoAdventurer,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to read that Antonio and Margarita were helpful with directions and making you feel at home. I have shared your review with them and they were excited to see that you enjoyed your stay. For future reservations please contact me at bo.bramsen@hilton.com and I will gladly assist you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The service is great as everyone else mentioned.
It is great to take this hotel also because they give you full day passes to enter to Renissance "La Concha" pools and beach (as long as your stays)!
They also give you beach access at Marriot Courtyard isla verde so make sure to ask the Front Desk for beach access.
This upgrades the trip dramatically because La Concha has 4 pools and they serve food to the pools and beach - truely amazing!
If you think about going out in Santruce (gay Scene) it's a short 10 MIns walk that is not dangerous like you would walk from Ashford Ave

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank zazon123
Willemstad, Curacao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Last year I stayed with a friend at the Double Tree Hilton San Juan. The hotel is very convenient located: it's close to the airport, it has a 24-hour supermarket in front of it, and the bus stop is just in front of the hotel. The rooms are very clean, although the size of the room is more a European size (small) than an US (large) room. The staff is very service minded, especially Peter. I will definitely recommend this hotel to everybody who is looking for a hotel that is convenient located, has all the amenities of a luxurious hotel and overall the best customer services.
By the way, a bus ride to Old San Juan costs only USD 75 cents!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Travelsomething
Hola Travelsomething,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. It was great to read that you found Peter and the rest of the staff gave you great service. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

After reading all the positive Trip Advisor reviews, I was looking forward to my stay at the Doubletree in San Juan, Puerto Rico. After a full night's stay, as a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP guest, I was not impressed. The reviews made this property sound like a Ritz-Carlton property; a Ritz-Carlton property this is not. Given the opportunity, I would most probably not return to this property when I return to San Juan, Puerto Rico in the future. I did not feel like a valued guest, especially as a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP. For example: the bar closed in the middle of my drinking a glass of wine and when I requested a late check-out (which is a standard benefit for a Diamond VIP, I was told 1:00pm was the latest time I could check-out.) I felt that I was asking for a favor for an additional 30 minutes, so that I could catch my 3:15pm flight at the airport without waiting in the Admirals Club of American Airlines where I am a Platinum VIP of their AAdvantage program.

• Stayed September 2012
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Saludos Privatebanker,

I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. The experience that you have described at the bar should not have happen and I will make sure to address it. We do try to honor late checkout requests as much as possible, but at the same time we want to be mindful of our arriving guests. We truly do cherish our repeat guests and their loyalty to our hotel, I am with hopes that if your travels bring you back to Puerto Rico, you give us an opportunity to demonstrate that our staff do merit all the positive reviews that you read. If I can of service to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at yodil.caban@hilton.com.

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

A very nice and clean hotel, I love the decoration is very modern, the bathroom very nice and clean, I love everything except the frond desk attention girl, I called to ask for something, but she replied with a bad attitudes. I don't mean that she has to treat anyone like queen, but a YES or NOT is enough, she doesn't needs to add anything to answer a NO, treat one like a stupid. This is the only one thing that I don't like.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Saludos Amei f,

It was great to read that you loved the décor and found everything to be nice and clean. However, I was most concerned with the interaction that you described. I am sorry if at any moment you felt uncomfortable, if possible please contact me directly at yodil.caban@hilton.com. I would like to have more information from you so I can address the situation and take action, including retraining. Our staff is a source of pride for us, as their friendliness and helpfulness is frequently mentioned in our reviews and I want to ensure that they have all the necessary tools and support to service and please our guests.

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Our room was very nice and clean with everything we needed. The staff was very helpful and attentive. The pool and hotub were nice. The food in the restaurant was so so, but there was a supermarket right across the street with a deli that served hot and cold food. We tried a few inique things there and also brought back a BBQ chicken to our room with some fresh fruit when we didn't feel like going out and spending a money to try another restaurant. There was also a full range of alcohol and beverages available at the supermarket.

The beach was an easy walk (few blocks) and the airport wasn't that far away either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family