“Clean, Comfortable and Reasonably Priced”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
arizona
“Clean, Comfortable and Reasonably Priced”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I spent one night here in March. I chose the hotel because the hotels I usually stay at were booked (we come to PR every year). I'm so glad they were booked because this place is a gem. The staff was helpful, friendly and spoke English well. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Very clean (and I'm a germaphobe so I'm hard to please). The room was a little small so I'm not sure I'd pick this hotel for an extended stay but for a couple of days it would be great. Or at the very least, I'd pick a bigger room.

The view was not impressive but the hotel is conveniently located with a grocery store across the street and the BEST Puerto Rican food restaurant around the corner (Bebos Cafe...yum!). That alone is a good reason to stay there. It is also a short ride to Isla Grande Airport.

Overall, this is a great hotel and will be our first pick when we come to San Juan again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tgdow
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Hola cmslj,
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review. I am happy you found the hotel to be clean and that or staff was able to assist you with your needs during your stay. We do have larger rooms available, so please fell free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com for your next reservation I and will do my best to assign you one of our larger rooms.

bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our experience at this hotel was really nice. The staff was helpful from the minute we arrived. The cookies were great! The furnishings are sleek and modern. The room had everything we needed, and more. The murphy bed was big and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was good. It was easy to walk around the area of the Condado. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Reader71
Orlando
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a great hotel. We stayed 1 night on a layover and we not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are small, but very modern. We ate dinner at the restaurant and it was very good and offered a wide array of options. The prices were high, but the portions were large. It is only about a 10 minute ride to the airport and they have a TV channel dedicated to airline arrival and departure times. It was $20.00 for the cab to and from the airport. Though we were unable to sightsee, there were many options within walking distance. We highly recommend this hotel.

4 Thank jglopga
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Hola jglopga,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you will have more time during your next visit to see more of San Juan and Puerto Rico. As you mention we are only a short taxi ride away from the airport and also from Old San Juan. Within walking distance we have the Art Museum of Puerto Rico and beautiful Ocean Park beach as well as several excellent restaurants.
I am glad you were able to take advantage of "FlyteSystem", which gives up-to-date information on arriving and departing flights in San Juan.
Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

New York
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Even though this hotel isn't on the beach, you have access to their sister hotel which has a private beach and 4 swimming pools. The entire staff that I dealt with at the front desk, restaurant, and room service were extremely friendly and helpful. The 24 hour grocery store directly across the street is great for anything you could think of that doesn't have to be cooked or frozen (small fridge doesn't have a freezer). I only wished the hotel would put the entire rate you will be charged once you book online. Seeing one fee in a email then another with 18% plus tax (which isn't specific) is annoying and causes confusion in trying to find out whether you have been overcharged. Overall it has been a great experience and I would stay here again on a future trip.

4 Thank Duane J
Minessota
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here with my wife on July, we had a wonderful time it was just what we needed after having a horrible experience at another San Juan Hotel. Just goes to show you sometimes it's better to pay a little more than you hoped for. Def will be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TeeAd
Hola TeeAd,
I am happy we were able to help make the remainder of your vacation a wonderful experience, and I look forward to welcoming you back as our guests in the near future.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance with your future reservations.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We visited San Juan for my 40th year high school reunion. I tried to stay away from hotels in the Isla Verde or San Juan area due to the traffic. I picked this hotel based on reviews and they were right. The location is excellent with a 24 hours supermarket across the street and walking distance to a great PR restaurant Bebo's and to Kasalta, a bakery that makes the best cheese pastelitos. I was concerned about safety before we went but felt very secure walking on Ashford, De Diego, Loiza and McLeary streetsThe hotel staff was warm, courteous and extremely helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our warm cookie upon arrival. The rooms may be small compared to newer hotels but they are fully renovated and very modern, sleek and efficient. The frosted glass door to the bathroom ( you can not see) and the modern sink gave the room a very contemporary look. Everything was very clean and new and the bed was very comfortable. I just did the review for them and gave them a 10. They even kept one of our bags during our 3 day trip to Culebra. Definitely contributed to a great vacation.

4 Thank Ana F
Appleton, WI
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here April 18-23, 2012. The hotel is nice. The rooms have a nice modern decor. The pool and workout facilities were above average. Service was very good. The desk attendants were friendly and efficient. The only area for improvement would be to great guests regularly like they do at Hilton Garden Inns. The restaurant service was a bit mixed. Language barrier was a small issue at times. Also, the "Grab and Go Lunch" was more like an order, wait for several staff members to confer what I meant by "Grab and Go" (it was listed in the elevator), wait for the food to be prepared, then grab and go. As for location, the neighborhood looks worse than it seems. Barbed wire tops a lot of fences, but I never felt unsafe.

It is a 20 minute walk to the Renaissance, a sister property where you can use the pool and beach if you ask for a letter from the Doubletree front desk; and a 10 minute cab ride to the Courtyard, another sister property with one of the best beaches in Puerto Rico (the only ones better are on Vieques and Culebra).

I do wish we had stayed closer to Old San Juan, though, because we spent the most time there and we spent a lot on taxis. The bus system in San Juan is cheap but SUCKS! They don't have trip planners online, routes aren't in Google Maps Mobile, there are no schedules available for any route, the website is in Spanish with no English option, and the "20-30 minute" posted wait times are so wrong that they don't even qualify as a joke. One day, we got on the bus headed the wrong way. Most other days wait times were in the 20-45 minute range. One day, we waited over 1 hour and 20 minutes before giving up and taking a cab. Some drivers can be unhelpful and somewhat rude. A taxi ride to Old San Juan is $15 one way. Buses are $0.75. I wish I could say that buses are a no-brainer, but the lack of predictability makes it a tough call. If you do take the bus, B21 picks up on the NE corner of Calle Wilson and Diego.

One more note, the hotel can book both the El Yunque and Bioluminescent Bay tours for you during the off season at cheaper rates than online. During peak season, you should definitely book online, in advance.

7 Thank cpuuri